uk nissan leaf police

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,243 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 20:22

Until battery tech improves greatly, these cars aren't ready for the masses. But for small roles like this, it should be a good fit.

#17 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

#ForzaJules

• 16,678 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted 10 May 2013 - 20:29

Until battery tech improves greatly, these cars aren't ready for the masses. But for small roles like this, it should be a good fit.

Actually, they already are ready for the masses. The average daily commute here in the UK is under an hour: http://www.guardian....ommute-slog-joy (that's both ways, by the way) - Worst case scenario is if you're constantly travelling at 70mph throughout, so just under 70 miles a day; the Nissan LEAF can do over 100 miles (the newest one does 124 miles), you charge it either at work or overnight while you're sleeping, so it's definitely ready for the masses.

#18 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 6,077 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 20:41

the electricity is created using fossil fuels anyway?

It depends on where you live.

Here electricity is produced using this :

Posted Image

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Hydro-Québec

#19 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,243 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 21:00

Actually, they already are ready for the masses. The average daily commute here in the UK is under an hour: http://www.guardian....ommute-slog-joy (that's both ways, by the way) - Worst case scenario is if you're constantly travelling at 70mph throughout, so just under 70 miles a day; the Nissan LEAF can do over 100 miles (the newest one does 124 miles), you charge it either at work or overnight while you're sleeping, so it's definitely ready for the masses.

Well the problem is that the power grid would have to be greatly upgraded to compensate for everybody having a car plugged in every day/night.
In this country on a hot summer day, it isn't uncommon for the power to go out due to too many people running their air conditioners. Having the extra load of these cars plugged in would greatly amplify those occurrences.

In densely populated areas, this would be a huge problem, and those are the areas that can be really dangerous to have power outages.

#20 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

#ForzaJules

• 16,678 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 21:14

Well the problem is that the power grid would have to be greatly upgraded to compensate for everybody having a car plugged in every day/night.
In this country on a hot summer day, it isn't uncommon for the power to go out due to too many people running their air conditioners. Having the extra load of these cars plugged in would greatly amplify those occurrences.

In densely populated areas, this would be a huge problem, and those are the areas that can be really dangerous to have power outages.

True, that's a fair point in America. What I've read for here in the UK though (but annoyingly, I can't find a source at the moment), it would actually improve the efficiency of our power stations, as instead of constantly turning stations off at night when demand drops, the increase in charging cars would reduce fluctuations in energy usage and in turn, reduce the need to turn stations on and off constantly, increasing efficiency.

#21 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,243 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 21:45

True, that's a fair point in America. What I've read for here in the UK though (but annoyingly, I can't find a source at the moment), it would actually improve the efficiency of our power stations, as instead of constantly turning stations off at night when demand drops, the increase in charging cars would reduce fluctuations in energy usage and in turn, reduce the need to turn stations on and off constantly, increasing efficiency.

You're right in a sense, but I'm not so sure that efficiency is too big of a deal. Yeah the turbines do suck some power to spin back up, but it's not a drastic amount of power draw. Plus newer turbines are operating on a fast-startup method, which will also help as old turbines are upgraded.

Overall, the increased power draw for all the electric cars would largely outweigh the power savings from not needing to power-up the turbines as much. It would make for an interesting case study though. :)

#22 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,576 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 21:52

I still want one

#23 philcruicks

philcruicks

Neowinian Senior

• 1,781 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 10 May 2013 - 22:02

Doesnt charging the car technically cause more pollution? Cause that electricity has to be generated. The fact that it charges over night and only gives 40 miles is such a waste. I can do 60mpg per gallon which is better than this eletric trash.

Except that the quantity of electricity needed to charge one is so minimal that the pollution from generating the electricity is much less than that of a normal car's pollution..
Its about £3 of electricity to charge the car for just under 150 miles, average modern car does what 500ish miles on a tank costing about £60-70 with current prices...electric for that distance £10-12...

So not only are they polluting less they're also saving the economy money...all good IMO considering they're just being tasked as dairy cars.

#24 Slugsie

Slugsie

NeoSlug

• 889 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 22:30

Some people here have obviously been taken in a bit too much by the anti electric car lobby. Yes, an electric car run entirely on fossil fuel generated electricity does produce CO2. But power stations are actually pretty efficient at producing electricity, and produce much less CO2 than even a fairly efficient ICE. The thing is that comparing CO2 emissions from the tail pipe of an ICE car against those of the extra emissions from a coal/gas fired power station is misleading. You should also factor in the HUGE amounts of electricity required to generate the fuel in the first place. Many oil refineries have their own power stations because they require so much electricity to run. If you then add in green sources of electricity you start to realise just how much more efficient and less polluting an electric car really is.

If the police stations using these cars also had solar panels fitted to their roofs it would be entirely possible to run the cars completely off solar power for a noticeable proportion of the time (i.e. truly zero emissions), and use the solar panels to supplement grid power the rest.

Range is still a bit of an issue, but given that the vast majority of car journeys wouldn't even begin to come close to 100miles it's really less of an issue than it's made out to be. Modern charging systems can usually get most batteries to about 80% charge in 20 minutes or so (enough time for a tea/coffee break), so range anxiety starts to look a little silly. Especially in a country like the UK which is physically fairly small, so rolling out a decent charging infrastructure is pretty easy.

This move to trial EVs by the police is a great move, and I for one am looking forward to EV technology moving on a pace and becoming readily affordable to the masses which is the last real hurdle to be solved.

#25 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

#ForzaJules

• 16,678 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 22:38

*snipped*

Well-said. (Y) In the UK, it seems to be the BBC at the forefront of the anti electric car lobby. They did a small piece on it on Radio 4's PM programme a few weeks ago with Robert Llewellyn (better known as Kryten from Red Dwarf, who's very pro-electric and owns a Nissan LEAF), and it was blatantly biased, using figures to shoot down electric cars that were already discovered to be complete bulls**t (which coincidentally, Robert did write about). But most people usually remember the Top Gear segment from 2011.

#26 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:18

I still want one

Me too. They run so quiet.