Photo

Does Adobe's new subscription only affect you?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 OP Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 10 May 2013 - 00:18

I'm not surprised Adobe are making this move, presumably in an attempt to reduce piracy, the amount of people using pirated adobe software is ridiculous.

Yeah I'm not so sure... :/

#17 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 10 May 2013 - 00:22

I think the problem with Adobe and piracy is that the people who pirate it don't do it because they don't use all of the functionality, but just because they don't use Adobe software all the time, just on those few days when it really comes in handy. Aside Lightroom I don't really use any paid Adobe software a lot, but I always have a Photoshop trial installed. I usually format my PC every three months and the 30-day trial pretty much always covers the days when Photoshop comes in handy. I've tried alternatives (I probably have all free stuff installed on my pc), and while it's nice for most things you just can't do proper things with it once you need a bit more advanced functionality...

#18 Auditor

Auditor

Neowinian

Posted 10 May 2013 - 00:31

People who think this will reduce piracy are totally delusional. The program will still be running locally which means you install it on your local computer and will check activation every month. What you need to do is to patch the binary which does the activation check and then you are again back in the gain. I don't see any big change than currently what we have adobe activation method. The only way it will be hard to circumvent the protection is if the whole program runs on a server. This is pure greed from adobe's part to milk their existing customer or professionals who have no other better alternative.

#19 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:43

People who think this will reduce piracy are totally delusional.

I think it will reduce it. Somewhat anyway. Of course people who pirate will do so regardless.

#20 xirtam

xirtam

Neowinian

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:13

I was under the empression that updates would continue to be provided.
I think this seems to suggest so?

"Because Adobe is still selling Photoshop CS6, those customers will continue to receive updated camera raw file format compatibility via Adobe Camera Raw 8. When we update ACR8 with new camera support, Photoshop CS6 customers can work with the new version of the Camera Raw plug-in." Source

#21 crazzy88ss

crazzy88ss

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:19

This change really makes me mad. I was finally considering buying it for the first time next year (since I don't use it very much and always had other ways of getting a copy; not necessarily downloading it), but now that's not going to happen. I always chose not to buy it because, as Ambroos pointed out, I don't use it enough to actually buy it. A friend's old copy always worked well enough for me. So from me, it's not like Adobe was actually losing out on any money. Now there's no way I'm going to spend $50 a month to edit 50-100 photos a month.

I guess I'll keep my CS6 installation, which I just got to replace my CS4 install, as long as I can and then go from there.

More importantly to me, I was thinking of ditching Aperture for Lightroom, but now I'm afraid of what they'll do with LR... so those plans are out the window. I use Aperture every day, so that's something important to me. Either way, I wouldn't pay $50 a month for Aperture or LR.

#22 ZakO

ZakO

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:54

People who think this will reduce piracy are totally delusional. The program will still be running locally which means you install it on your local computer and will check activation every month. What you need to do is to patch the binary which does the activation check and then you are again back in the gain. I don't see any big change than currently what we have adobe activation method. The only way it will be hard to circumvent the protection is if the whole program runs on a server. This is pure greed from adobe's part to milk their existing customer or professionals who have no other better alternative.

Obviously it will still be cracked, but I disagree that it won't reduce piracy. At the moment there is quite a high percentage of freelancers who, even though they earn a living using the software (photographers, designers, etc.) and $50 / month is nothing to them, use pirated versions of the Adobe suite because it's so easy. Once every 18 months download the trial for the latest adobe suite, stick in a serial number and you're set for the next 16 months, you can even get stability updates directly from Adobe using the updater, no differences to a legit copy, no unknown/modified executables.

The cloud copies don't have distinct versions anymore (well, won't soon), it solely relies on incremental updates to each of the applications and with a cracked cloud version you're not going to be able to get automatic updates because the updater will require authentication. This means every month when Adobe releases stability updates / feature updates you're going to need to, assuming the release groups even bother, manually find/download/install updates and hope there isn't any 'additional' files hidden in the patches.

IMO it's enough of a hassle/deterrent to convert a small percentage, even 2% would give Adobe an extra $10 million/month based on the pirated numbers.

So from me, it's not like Adobe was actually losing out on any money. Now there's no way I'm going to spend $50 a month to edit 50-100 photos a month.

It's $20/month for a single app if you only need Photoshop. If you still can't justify spending that, then use something else? Photoshop is a luxury, not a right.

#23 Uplift

Uplift

Just below average Joe

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:04

I think it will reduce it. Somewhat anyway. Of course people who pirate will do so regardless.

It will DEFINITELY reduce piracy, i've pirated photoshop for years but jumped on CC the moment it became available, i've been a happy paying customer for a year now, i'm against the new monthly sub option route every company appears to be taking these days but for CC i can make an exception because it's worth every penny...

If i was to make one suggestion i'd love different payment plans either quarterly or yearly.

Only concern is not owning the physical software, the moment we can't pay or decide to stop paying if work dries up or illness or retirement or whatever then your lifes work is gone because you can't run software to open your files anymore.

#24 crazzy88ss

crazzy88ss

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 May 2013 - 16:12

It's $20/month for a single app if you only need Photoshop. If you still can't justify spending that, then use something else? Photoshop is a luxury, not a right.

Get off your high horse. Basically everything computer related is a luxury, not a right. I'm not going to pay a service fee when most of the features I use are in other applications. So yea, I won't be using photoshop for much longer.

#25 sundayx

sundayx

Posted 10 May 2013 - 16:59

Being in the creative industry it's hard to avoid Adobe... there will be requirements somewhere or someone else will send though a CS file. On one hand I think Adobe will lose a lot of customers because they'll just stick with the last boxed version being CS6, but in the long run, given the pretty approachable monthly subscription price (arguable, but I think so anyways), eventually most people will be on board.

#26 Bob Walsh/Walsh Digital

Bob Walsh/Walsh Digital

Neowinian

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:35

I think that ignoring the 'little guy' is going to backfire on Adobe! Small business is really the backboe of this country, forget the Global stuff! It doesn't really matter, pirates have already found ways to pirate Ps CC! And those guys operate outside our jusisdiction!  Companies like Corel are just loving this, as are users of Open Source...GIMP. :huh:

#27 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:39

$50 a month isn't so bad if you use more than a few of the CC programs. I've been subscribed over a year now and it's a pretty good value for the use I get from it.

#28 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 07 September 2013 - 13:40

Once every 18 months download the trial for the latest adobe suite, stick in a serial number and you're set for the next 16 months, you can even get stability updates directly from Adobe using the updater, no differences to a legit copy, no unknown/modified executables.

Huh?! Aren't trial versions limited to just 30 days?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!