google glass

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,860 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 17:41

Google's Glass Explorer Edition is finally shipping, and Verge staffers worldwide have been waiting to try out the new headset. So we're sending our editors out to live life with Glass, to explore the brave new world we're lurching into whether we like it or not.

"Those are some unique glasses." "Are you wearing Glass?" "He's got Google Glass on!" My appearance can be ostentatious at times, but wearing Google Glass in public drew a truly unparalleled amount of attention — never have I seen so many strangers (and people I know) give me this look of, "uh, what's on your face?"

I wore Google Glass to Justin Timberlake's show at Roseland Ballroom this past Sunday for two reasons: to get a good understanding of what it’s like using the headset in the real world, and because Glass seemed like a perfect fit for watching and recording a concert. I also wondered if I might steal just a little bit of attention away from Justin.

I got in line early to ensure that I'd be near the stage during the show, and security guards were already checking IDs and distributing wristbands to save time at the doors. As I handed over my driver's license, the security guards began asking questions. "What are you wearing on your head?" "What does it do?" I explained Glass to them, and took a couple of photos and a video. "Oh my god, that’s insane! That’s crazy! It makes calls too? And directions! Wow." One of the guards asked if I planned on recording some footage inside, and I said absolutely. They didn’t mind, and after our short conversation I got in line.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/9/4315230/using-google-glass-at-a-justin-timberlake-concert

Videos....

http://www.theverge....eAL6nQXLaNgb8GL
http://www.theverge....Hgkq5avPp6cmAgX

More text and images in source...

#2 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 18:04

I want a pair of these. They are so cool.

#3 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,022 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 18:18

Looks like those things have horrible battery life.

#4 OP +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,860 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 18:37

So do phones if all you are doing is shooting video.

#5 fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

• 3,556 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 09 May 2013 - 18:46

I really want a pair

#6 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,022 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 18:49

Not to that extreme of a level though. This guy said he took several photos and videos, so it's not like he filmed the whole show.

#7 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 20:10

Yeah, they really need to address that pronto.

#8 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,372 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 09 May 2013 - 20:21

in another test they did with them, he was just using them for normal guidance and such while driving. after his less than an hour drive it was down to 2/3rd's battery. that means with normal light usage, you're lucky to get 3 hours usage of them....

I don't see glass ever takign off and being use either way though. it's trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist, yeah they're "cool" but... that's about it.

#9 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,022 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 20:29

in another test they did with them, he was just using them for normal guidance and such while driving. after his less than an hour drive it was down to 2/3rd's battery. that means with normal light usage, you're lucky to get 3 hours usage of them....

I don't see glass ever takign off and being use either way though. it's trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist, yeah they're "cool" but... that's about it.

Agreed. They're maybe (and maybe might be stretching it) $100-200 "cool".

#10 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,383 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 20:42

Battery wise, there are limits to what they can do and still keep it small. I think they'll end up running a small wire from the frame down to a pocket battery pack.

#11 Garnet H.

Garnet H.

astropheed

• 1,626 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 21:42

yeah they're "cool" but... that's about it.

They're not 'cool', at all. It's pretty well accepted that nerds will be buying this. Google certainly is trying to propagate this as if it is being considered cool, but it's not. It's too expensive for a product that isn't required to fill any gap and even then from what I've seen of it, its fairly pointless anyways.

The majority or people who buy this will see it collect dust.

#12 arachnoid

arachnoid

Times a Ticking

• 3,202 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 21:51

From a legal standpoint the users may well be infringing copyright laws ssues by using them at concerts for any long periods of time.Yes I know people post concert videos on the likes of YouTube but these are usually of a low quality but still come under the fringes of copyright infringement though its not usually enforced.

#13 OP +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,860 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 22:01

This is still in development/testing so we shall see about battery life. As far as pricing, no telling how much it will be since it will not cost 1500 as it does now. (this was stated) But with every new tech, and lack of competition, prices will be higher. If marketed well, and implemented well, it will do well. Apple has been known to have expensive equipment for years yet they always sell well.

As far as it being something to collect dust...I know that Facebook (3rd party app), Yahoo, and others are developing apps for it. Shall see how many others jump on board.

They're not 'cool', at all. It's pretty well accepted that nerds will be buying this. Google certainly is trying to propagate this as if it is being considered cool, but it's not. It's too expensive for a product that isn't required to fill any gap and even then from what I've seen of it, its fairly pointless anyways.

The majority or people who buy this will see it collect dust.

Yea, people used to think the same thing about a lot of stuff that is very well accepted/used today.

#14 XerXis

XerXis

Neowinian Senior

• 5,049 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 22:05

Meh, I'm still not seeing me using it. But I have the same thoughts about smartwatches, their screen is just too small. At the moment a smartphone suits my needs, the screen is large enough, but not too large. It's not difficult to handle with one hand, the battery life is most of the time acceptable and it's not in the way when I don't need it, I can simply put it in my pocket.

The only thing I want the future to bring is better battery life and dockable smartphones. If I put my smartphone on my desk it should dock itself to a big screen, a keyboard, mouse and wireless charger. If I take it with me it should act like a normal smartphone again. That for me is wearable enough.

I might be wrong though and start seeing the value of glass in a few years, but I doubt it :p

#15 Garnet H.

Garnet H.

astropheed

• 1,626 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 22:21

Yea, people used to think the same thing about a lot of stuff that is very well accepted/used today.

This was and still is in the back of my mind, I'm not that naive.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!