Using Google Glass: at a Justin Timberlake concert

Google's Glass Explorer Edition is finally shipping, and Verge staffers worldwide have been waiting to try out the new headset. So we're sending our editors out to live life with Glass, to explore the brave new world we're lurching into whether we like it or not.

"Those are some unique glasses." "Are you wearing Glass?" "He's got Google Glass on!" My appearance can be ostentatious at times, but wearing Google Glass in public drew a truly unparalleled amount of attention ? never have I seen so many strangers (and people I know) give me this look of, "uh, what's on your face?"

I wore Google Glass to Justin Timberlake's show at Roseland Ballroom this past Sunday for two reasons: to get a good understanding of what it?s like using the headset in the real world, and because Glass seemed like a perfect fit for watching and recording a concert. I also wondered if I might steal just a little bit of attention away from Justin.

I got in line early to ensure that I'd be near the stage during the show, and security guards were already checking IDs and distributing wristbands to save time at the doors. As I handed over my driver's license, the security guards began asking questions. "What are you wearing on your head?" "What does it do?" I explained Glass to them, and took a couple of photos and a video. "Oh my god, that?s insane! That?s crazy! It makes calls too? And directions! Wow." One of the guards asked if I planned on recording some footage inside, and I said absolutely. They didn?t mind, and after our short conversation I got in line.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/9/4315230/using-google-glass-at-a-justin-timberlake-concert

Videos....

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/9/4315230/using-google-glass-at-a-justin-timberlake-concert#ooid=BsdThpYjr6IroipWneAL6nQXLaNgb8GL

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/9/4315230/using-google-glass-at-a-justin-timberlake-concert#ooid=B1OThpYjoTGDNJH2oHgkq5avPp6cmAgX

More text and images in source...

So do phones if all you are doing is shooting video.

Not to that extreme of a level though. This guy said he took several photos and videos, so it's not like he filmed the whole show.

So do phones if all you are doing is shooting video.

in another test they did with them, he was just using them for normal guidance and such while driving. after his less than an hour drive it was down to 2/3rd's battery. that means with normal light usage, you're lucky to get 3 hours usage of them....

I don't see glass ever takign off and being use either way though. it's trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist, yeah they're "cool" but... that's about it.

in another test they did with them, he was just using them for normal guidance and such while driving. after his less than an hour drive it was down to 2/3rd's battery. that means with normal light usage, you're lucky to get 3 hours usage of them....

I don't see glass ever takign off and being use either way though. it's trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist, yeah they're "cool" but... that's about it.

Agreed. They're maybe (and maybe might be stretching it) $100-200 "cool".

Battery wise, there are limits to what they can do and still keep it small. I think they'll end up running a small wire from the frame down to a pocket battery pack.

yeah they're "cool" but... that's about it.

They're not 'cool', at all. It's pretty well accepted that nerds will be buying this. Google certainly is trying to propagate this as if it is being considered cool, but it's not. It's too expensive for a product that isn't required to fill any gap and even then from what I've seen of it, its fairly pointless anyways.

The majority or people who buy this will see it collect dust.

From a legal standpoint the users may well be infringing copyright laws ssues by using them at concerts for any long periods of time.Yes I know people post concert videos on the likes of YouTube but these are usually of a low quality but still come under the fringes of copyright infringement though its not usually enforced.

This is still in development/testing so we shall see about battery life. As far as pricing, no telling how much it will be since it will not cost 1500 as it does now. (this was stated) But with every new tech, and lack of competition, prices will be higher. If marketed well, and implemented well, it will do well. Apple has been known to have expensive equipment for years yet they always sell well.

As far as it being something to collect dust...I know that Facebook (3rd party app), Yahoo, and others are developing apps for it. Shall see how many others jump on board.

They're not 'cool', at all. It's pretty well accepted that nerds will be buying this. Google certainly is trying to propagate this as if it is being considered cool, but it's not. It's too expensive for a product that isn't required to fill any gap and even then from what I've seen of it, its fairly pointless anyways.

Yea, people used to think the same thing about a lot of stuff that is very well accepted/used today.

Meh, I'm still not seeing me using it. But I have the same thoughts about smartwatches, their screen is just too small. At the moment a smartphone suits my needs, the screen is large enough, but not too large. It's not difficult to handle with one hand, the battery life is most of the time acceptable and it's not in the way when I don't need it, I can simply put it in my pocket.

The only thing I want the future to bring is better battery life and dockable smartphones. If I put my smartphone on my desk it should dock itself to a big screen, a keyboard, mouse and wireless charger. If I take it with me it should act like a normal smartphone again. That for me is wearable enough.

I might be wrong though and start seeing the value of glass in a few years, but I doubt it :p

Yea, people used to think the same thing about a lot of stuff that is very well accepted/used today.

This was and still is in the back of my mind, I'm not that naive.

This was and still is in the back of my mind, I'm not that naive.

And I am not foolish to predict the demise / success of something that has not even been released yet.

And I am not foolish to predict the demise / success of something that has not even been released yet.

Just foolish enough not to.

It's not very nice to imply someone is a fool because they have a prediction. I've done nothing to merit such a response, unless of course you're an employee at Google.

Just foolish enough not to.

It's not very nice to imply someone is a fool because they have a prediction. I've done nothing to merit such a response, unless of course you're an employee at Google.

I said I wasnt foolish to think either way. You said you were not naive (and still had that in the back of your head) about a comment I made...which I took to mean that you were still on the fence on whether or not it will do well. (undecided either way) So if thats the case, I fail to see how I was calling you a fool if/when you are undecided. However, I do think it is foolish to say something will fail when a product is in testing/development and not released to the public.

Yes, I comprehend English.

I edited my post...dont think you saw it. If I miss interpreted what you said and offended you, then I apologize. Wasnt my intention.

have a good one

I edited my post...dont think you saw it. If I miss interpreted what you said and offended you, then I apologize. Wasnt my intention.

have a good one

The way in which you explained it the second time was appreciated. That was the implication I received though and I stand by not feeling foolish for predicting the outcome of some event unfolding. In my mind I feel more at ease with the decisions I might make in the future by preemptively forming an opinion of it. If you like to keep an optimistic neutrality to it all than all the power to you, but I'm far more pessimistic.

Want to bet? :p

Seriously, I think this will be big. Of course it won't be the next big thing until Apple releases a verison. :D

well, its about time for movies theaters & concert to pay the Google co., so google can issue online command to the glasses so it will not recording at specific areas, time & duration.

Would be fun to be an early adopter but luckily I have a bit more sense.

Same with any product really. Give it a few iterations through the hipster/nerd/too much money crowd and then get it when perfected/lower priced/better specced.