6 replies to this topic

#1 vetJohn Callaham

John Callaham

Neowinian

• 666 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 19:48

Shadow Warrior revival revealed
by John Callaham

In 1997, 3D Realms released the first person shooter Shadow Warrior using the same 2D Build Engine used for their earlier hit game Duke Nukem 3D. Today, it was announced that a new version of Shadow Warrior is in development.

A teaser site for the game is already live but it doesn't show anything but the game's logo along with an image of a man who looks like he's had a run in with some sharp objects. The developer of the game is Poland-based Flying Wild Hog, who previously released the cyberpunk-themed shooter Hard Reset, and it will be published by Devolver Digital.

Details about the new Shadow Warrior game have not been revealed, with Flying Wild Hog's Facebook page stating only it will be "a total reimagining" of the first game. The original game from 3D Realms featured the protagonist, Lo Wang, going after his former employer Zilla Enterprises who were trying to conquer Japan.

The game had a lot of mature humor, much like Duke Nukem 3D, and included some advanced features that were put into its aging 2D engine, including drivable vehicles and multiple firing modes. There's no word on what platforms the new Shadow Warrior game will be using nor is there an announced release date.

Source: Shadow Warrior | Image via Devolver Digital

#2 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,511 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 09 May 2013 - 20:11

I was excited until I read, "total reimagining".

#3 qdave

qdave

Neowinian Senior

• 16,159 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:24

I loved that game when I was a kid. Will see what they can come up with now.

#4 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,722 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:55

With ROTT and now this. My childhood is flooding back. Now all we need is Gearbox to announce a tooled up Duke 3D and i'll be complete.

#5 nvllsvm

nvllsvm

Neowinian Senior

• 1,588 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:58

I was pretty skeptical until I read that Flying Wild Hog will be developing this. Should mean that this at least won't be some consolified crap.

However... "You no mess with Lo Wang!"

#6 Skin

Skin

Neowinian

• 1,131 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 15:03

yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!

:shiftyninja:

#7 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

• 7,672 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 15:04

Hard Reset looks to be a throwback of sorts, I'm gonna try the demo. Hopefully we don't have another Blood II on our hands.

Lo Wang > Duke