Do people you give computer support to know they have a windows key on the

The Windows key  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do most of the people you support know they have a windows key on the keyboard

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do they know where the windows key is located?

• Nope, they didn't even know they had one.
    • Nope, they knew they had one but just weren't sure where it was located
    • Yes, they know where it's located.

This is a question for anyone who does support for "The average" user. By support this could also be personal support for friends and family.

and yes i'm talking about the Windows key on the keyboard .. geesh!

Most of the people I deal with are either a small number of clients that I do coding for or random neighbors/friends, but pretty sure they all know where it is. (Same place it's been for what, 18 years or so?) Most of them aren't experts, but they're not the "my computer's cup holder broke" type either. Kind of hard to miss the Windows flag on the keyboard, never mind it's frequently used once you've used Windows for more than a few minutes and pick up on its shortcuts. Think the last time I've heard "random users" not knowing about it when 95 first came around and it was new. Possibly not knowing where it is blindfolded perhaps sure, not everybody can type without looking at the keyboard, but not knowing it's there at all? That person probably wouldn't know about the function keys either then.

I always leave a .txt file in their Documents folder with any serial numbers they have purchased inside it.

I also keep a record in my own little database because I know so many of them loose them.

most of the people I support cannot even tell me which version of Windows they have let alone if it has a key.

I also keep a record in my own little database because I know so many of them loose them.

I do not keep any information such as that in a database, however, i do Keep a PDF file of the invoice for each computer I work on which Includes Computer Serial Numbers and stuff like that.

I do keep an Access Database For myself that contains Product keys for all of my software just in case though.

most of the people I support cannot even tell me which version of Windows they have let alone if it has a key.

Interesting.

When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it was on about the windows key on the keyboard. Since I help a few Mac users, I was going to comment that they probably know they don't have a key.. but I guess that's not what's being asked here.

Pretty much all my customers know they have a sticker with a 'key' on it, on their PC case. The others tend to know they don't have a product key for Windows or tell me they've lost it, fell off or changed case..

I always leave a .txt file in their Documents folder with any serial numbers they have purchased inside it.

187303_windows_button.jpg