wiiu

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,101 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:51

Nintendo should have just added hd support to the original Wii and a slightly faster cpu and gpu. Then call it Wii HD

Not too different to what they did with the Gamecube, and called it the Wii. :p

#17 +FiB3R

FiB3R

"the sun is definitely rising on a new dawn!"

• 7,604 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:04

Hardly EA's fault, its Nintendo's fault for being arrogant and releasing a half baked overclocked Wii and this is coming from a Wii U owner.

Nintendo has never had good third party support since the N64, every console since they have failed to attract them, they've had ample opportunity to shift with the market but they seem to think that Mario and Zelda is enough to sell their own console thesedays.

If there is a next-gen after the PS4/Nextbox I don't think Nintendo will be there.

Sad, but very true :(

#18 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,101 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:06

Nintendo have a target niche of younger kids and party games that they should stick to.

#19 SlimShady

SlimShady

Neowinian

• 202 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:14

Yeah, but those kids already play the 3DS and games on the iPad/other tablet. The Wii will last for a while, the WiiU will flop and then Nintendo's marketshare on the console market will be gone.

#20 SiCKX

SiCKX

Cannibal

• 1,314 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:16

EA has killed a console before... cries... sniffs... DREAMCAST :(

Just hoping your sarcasm is strong there and not the IQ of a banana.

#21 REM2000

REM2000

Neowinian Senior

• 2,283 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:17

The problem is that the games industry is kind of collapsing under it's own weight, years ago it was quite simple to make a game, now you have to have a massive team with a lot of funding, just look at the credits of many modern games, the list seems longer than many films.

Companys like EA are moving to a standard middleware platform to help speed up development and to reduce costs, the unreal engine middleware pretty much powered the xbox360 generation of games, i know there are others out there such as frostbite and Cryengine however the unreal is found in more games. I don't blame EA for this move, as Nintendo could like sony have worked with the developers and publishers and take on advice on how the console might work for them.

The real problem for me though is that Nintendo is the most consumer friendly of the consoles, they all use SD cards and the consoles are usually built like bricks/nokia phones. It's a shame because i really love nintendo's stuff, i love their hardware and the games, i obviously wish they were more powerful, however after the general consensus of the Wii being under powered i thought nintendo might have learnt and not repeated the mistake again, as the Wii only ended up with a couple of classics from third parties with a lot of it being shovelware.

#22 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,101 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:22

The problem is that the games industry is kind of collapsing under it's own weight, years ago it was quite simple to make a game, now you have to have a massive team with a lot of funding, just look at the credits of many modern games, the list seems longer than many films.

The blossoming Indie game market, which is nothing more really than a return to the grass roots of video gaming, shows that the days of the megacorp video game companies are numbered, unless they adapt. Games have become too much about the visual experience and have forgotten the most important factor, playability.

Back in the 8/16 bit days, you loaded up a game and you would play that one game for months and months before you eventually completed the thing. These days, you're done in 4-6 hours. Indie gaming is starting to bring that back.

#23 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,420 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:24

LOL @ someone ranting and moaning because EA tried to get an old engine running and failed to get decent performance so didn't even bother trying a more updated (and thus needing more beefy hardware) engine for a console where a 'scheduled patch' makes games take FIFTEEN SECONDS less time to load.
No, it's not EA's fault the console is ****, and yes, it IS ****.

#24 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:56

LOL @ someone ranting and moaning because EA tried to get an old engine running and failed to get decent performance so didn't even bother trying a more updated (and thus needing more beefy hardware) engine for a console where a 'scheduled patch' makes games take FIFTEEN SECONDS less time to load.

They are the kind of people who would complain that the WiiU version ran like crap if they had spent time porting the engine over.

#25 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,245 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 10 May 2013 - 13:24

While the console has issues, it would help if you actually knew what you where talking about and your post wasn't riddled with factual errors.

the patch was NOT to fix game loading time, it was to reduce the loading of the dashboard by 15 seconds. also how is that a bad thing. MS also significantly reduced the loading time of the dashboard in numerous updates. Granted going back to the e-shop or dashboard form a game was really slow on the WiiU

#26 +fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• 3,931 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6 Plus

Posted 10 May 2013 - 13:28

When they release Mario Kart, the console will rise again :D

#27 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,245 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 13:33

They are the kind of people who would complain that the WiiU version ran like crap if they had spent time porting the engine over.

I have no doubt that the engine would run just as well on the WiiU if they did the work. I also do not think that at this point in time it's worth it to port the engine for them.

However this is one of this chicken and egg things. and for EA they don't care if the chicken or egg came first. they don't need to have their engines on the console as long is it doesn't have a solid users base, it only makes sense for them to support the platform once it's there. Hence what Nintendo should do is help pay for the development of Frostbite 2/3 on the WiiU.

That way the games are there on the console, so they can sell more consoles, more consoles means more games, which means more console games and so on. and EA is so big and has such a large portfolio of games they are the ones Nintendo NEEDS to get on board to launch the console.

#28 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

• 13,933 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 13:47

EA has killed a console before... cries... sniffs... DREAMCAST :(

God, that was a good console...

To be honest I don't understand EA's clout... I hate the company, I think they produce sub par games, I will not waste my money on something they produce...

Who will?

#29 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

• 7,097 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 13:58

To be honest I don't understand EA's clout... I hate the company, I think they produce sub par games, I will not waste my money on something they produce...

Who will?

To be fair, this has basically a downward trend. Think of how when HD-DVD and Blu-Ray were out - as soon as 1 or 2 of the biggest publishers sided with one, the other went down hill.
If publishers see that EA isn't committed to the Wii U you can guarantee that it'll have a negative impact on sales. If this negative impact is great enough, it'll start to make other publishers nervous. If it continues, then other publishers will start pulling out. Hence, the fall of the Wii U.

EA's loss by itself isn't the be all and end all, but if Activision Blizzard decide all of a sudden that EA are right and they too pull out, then that's becoming a rather big loss.

People say that EA games aren't a massive system seller for the Wii and Wii U, but they definitely drive growth. Anybody who disagrees with me is more then welcome to look at the top 10 weekly sales for the Wii and see that for a good portion of them, EA published games hit the top 10, especially during their releases.

#30 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,245 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 14:00

Who will?

Their clout is from being the biggest damn publisher around with some of the best games on book whether you admit it or not.
- Crysis X
- Dead Space X
- Need For Speed X
- Battlefield X
- Everything Sims
- Everythign EA Sports
- Mass Effect
- Dragon Age

And that's just the top of the list. a lot of those are top og their genre, others ARE the genre. And they're all good games, though I personally don't play all of them as they're not my kind of game, I can still admit they're good games.