Jump to content



Photo
washington barbecue chicken intestines exploratory surgery

  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

    totally wAcKed

  • 62,041 posts
  • Joined: 05-October 03
  • Location: Odder Space
  • OS: Windows XP, 7

Posted 10 May 2013 - 22:05

A Mountlake Terrace, Wash., teenager accidentally swallowed a piece of grill brush wire while eating, which ultimately got stuck in his intestines – “stabbing him from the inside out,” :| The Seattle Times reported.

It all happened innocently enough.

“Somehow, one of the tiny, hair-like wires got stuck in one of the grills in the barbecue, and in a one-in-a million chance, it got stuck in a piece of chicken that I ate and made it most of the way through my body,” Tristin Beck, 16, told The Seattle Times from his hospital bed.

Tristin explained the wire became stuck in his intestines, and “basically started stabbing me from the inside out.”

Tristin said he came to the Seattle Children’s Hospital when intense stomach cramps turned to vomiting and his symptoms worsened. When doctors couldn’t find anything wrong after running tests, they turned to exploratory surgery and found the culprit.

Doctors said he’ll make a full recovery, but one expert said this is just one example of a common and life-threatening incident.

more


#2 jwjw1

jwjw1

    Neowinian

  • 4,425 posts
  • Joined: 03-December 01

Posted 10 May 2013 - 22:25

I wonder how many lawyers have already called.... :laugh:

#3 OP Hum

Hum

    totally wAcKed

  • 62,041 posts
  • Joined: 05-October 03
  • Location: Odder Space
  • OS: Windows XP, 7

Posted 10 May 2013 - 22:30

at least he got his iron

#4 trag3dy

trag3dy

    Neowinian Senior

  • 6,685 posts
  • Joined: 03-March 05
  • Location: USA

Posted 10 May 2013 - 22:34

I wonder how many lawyers have already called.... :laugh:


It doesn't say the chicken was from a restaurant. More likely it was just a home bbq.

#5 Buttus

Buttus

    Neowinian Senior

  • 3,267 posts
  • Joined: 07-September 05

Posted 10 May 2013 - 22:35

isn't that an old torture method? roll up a springy wire really tight, put it in a piece of meat and make the person eat it...

#6 Enron

Enron

    Windows for Workgroups

  • 8,849 posts
  • Joined: 30-May 11
  • OS: Windows 8.1 U1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 10 May 2013 - 22:38

When I saw the topic title, I thought he did it intentionally as some sort of new emo ritual.

#7 exotoxic

exotoxic

    Neowinian Senior

  • 2,139 posts
  • Joined: 04-April 04
  • Location: England

Posted 10 May 2013 - 22:38

Would something like this not show up on an xray??

#8 +warwagon

warwagon

    Only you can prevent forest fires.

  • 25,890 posts
  • Joined: 30-November 01
  • Location: Iowa

Posted 10 May 2013 - 22:48

"accidentally swallowed a piece of grill brush wire while eating"

Chew your food much?

#9 Astral

Astral

    I dream in adjustment layers

  • 177 posts
  • Joined: 08-November 02
  • Location: BC, Canada
  • OS: Windows 7 Professional 64Bit

Posted 10 May 2013 - 22:58

A similar incident happened to a friend of mine a few years ago. He ordered a pizza from a restaurant and finished it off without a problem. A few days later, he started having some chest pain and discomfort. From what doctors suggest, the 'metal wire' started migrating through his esophagus and into one of his arteries. He required emergency surgury a few days later after immense pain, vomitting blood and fever-like symptoms. Turns out, it was the small wire that you would use on a bag for a loaf of bread.

The restaurant is still in business and if he chose to, he can eat there for free... for life. He doesn't.

#10 Bonfire

Bonfire

    Neowinian Senior

  • 6,978 posts
  • Joined: 08-August 05
  • Phone: Rotary Dial

Posted 10 May 2013 - 23:12

A one in a million chance? I think after scrubbing a sticky grill with a wire brush the odds are a wee bit higher than that.

#11 OP Hum

Hum

    totally wAcKed

  • 62,041 posts
  • Joined: 05-October 03
  • Location: Odder Space
  • OS: Windows XP, 7

Posted 10 May 2013 - 23:16

I guess we need metal detectors for food now ...

#12 +Medfordite

Medfordite

    Neowinian Senior

  • 2,406 posts
  • Joined: 16-March 06
  • Location: Medford Oregon
  • OS: Win 8.1 Pro
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy Axiom

Posted 10 May 2013 - 23:37

Nah, a strong magnet will do. :) Go grab a blown speaker, knock the magnet off and run it over your food, wash of the dirt from the magnet, and reseason and you are done! /sarcasm

Somewhat related, I have a cat that ate sewing thread. Ended up in the animal hospital as the thread got bound in her intestines and was slicing them. Expensive cat now.

I hope to this day, nobody in our family ever runs across metal of any kind in our food. Especially something like that.

#13 jwjw1

jwjw1

    Neowinian

  • 4,425 posts
  • Joined: 03-December 01

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:21

It doesn't say the chicken was from a restaurant. More likely it was just a home bbq.

....thats true but you never know when some opportunist wants to sue the grill brush company for a defective bristle. :s

#14 Growled

Growled

    Neowinian Senior

  • 41,508 posts
  • Joined: 17-December 08
  • Location: USA

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:40

Some people just have terrible luck, for sure.



Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!