Photo

Illegal to drive slow in the fast lane ?

florida road rage frustrating innate dangers

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,238 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 14:13

How many times have you cursed at drivers crawling along in the fast lane, way below the posted speed limit? It must be one of the most frustrating circumstances you can encounter when driving, not to mention the innate dangers it presents. If there’s ever a situation that could provoke road rage, it’s being held up by an ignorant motorist, pointlessly blocking the passing lane. But if you live in Florida, this issue could potentially be solved, as the Florida House and Senate have passed a bill that would make it illegal to drive slowly in the fast lane.

The so-called “road rage” bill is reportedly years in the making, and it was pushed through, in part, by Sen. Jeff Brandes of St. Petersburg: “I think it’s going to make us a little bit safer,” Brandes predicts.

The bill proposes that if you drive 10 mph or more below the posted speed limit, while dawdling in the left hand lane, the penalty would be a $60 fine. The law would be in effect for any road with two or more lanes.

Of course, the Governor has to pass this legislation for it to take effect, and the question lingers as to whether it would truly deter those making a habit of clogging up the left hand lane. While a straight "fix" remains impossible, and this may not be the easiest of crimes to police, it's a solid step in the right direction to eliminating unnecessary automotive vexations.

source

#2 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,291 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 14:17

I wish they would make it illegal in my state.

#3 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 14:34

Considering that there are statistics that show that you are more of a hazard if you drive 10 miles under the limit than someone driving 10 miles over, this is extremely good news.

#4 Boxster17

Boxster17

Porsche Enthusiast

• 1,716 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 14:52

Considering that there are statistics that show that you are more of a hazard if you drive 10 miles under the limit than someone driving 10 miles over, this is extremely good news.

Pretty much this, glad that they're looking to do something about it. A lot of people underestimate the dangers of slow driving on the highway.

#5 Mordkanin

Mordkanin

Neowinian Senior

• 5,405 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 23:09

It's not a 'fast lane'. It's a passing lane.

In many states, it's illegal to be in the passing lane while not overtaking another vehicle or coming up on a left exit. "Failure to keep right" is a 2pt ticket where I'm from.

#6 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,238 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 23:15

I get confused when there are 3 lanes. You are not sure if the right lane will end, is only for exits.

Or you may need to exit in the left lane.

Or you stay in the middle to keep going on the same Route number. :wacko:

#7 alpha2beta

alpha2beta

Neowinian

• 121 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 23:21

In many states, it's illegal to be in the passing lane while not overtaking another vehicle or coming up on a left exit. "Failure to keep right" is a 2pt ticket where I'm from.

Exactly, someone finally gets it. The left lane is for passing. It doesn't mater how fast or slow your going if your in the fast lane and someone comes up from behind you and you're going 100 MPH and they are doing 120 MPH you move over, its that simple the rate of speed has hardly anything to do with it. If someone is behind you in the left lane, MOVE OVER! It's called the flow of traffic.

#8 sagum

sagum

Unicorn Doctor

• 1,829 posts
  • Phone: LG E900 & Lumia` 610/520/920

Posted 11 May 2013 - 23:31

I get confused when there are 3 lanes. You are not sure if the right lane will end, is only for exits.

Or you may need to exit in the left lane.

Or you stay in the middle to keep going on the same Route number. :wacko:

Do you not have dotted lane lines to dictate when a lane is turning off?

Here in the UK, our lanes have wide spaced white lines for straight ahead and when it turns to an exit lane, the lines on the side (our right, I assume your left) would turn to smaller dotted lines.

We also have cats eyes, with green for exits, white for lane and orange for central, with red marking the edge. Much easier to drive on the highway at night with these markings. For daytime driving, you're better off just following the flow of traffic.

#9 Nogib

Nogib

Neowinian

• 651 posts
  • Phone: LG Nexus 5

Posted 11 May 2013 - 23:37

THANK YOU! Can't tell you how frustrating it is that there are so many asshats out there who treat the left lane as their own personal lane and it is somehow an affront that someone else dares use it lol.

#10 Lizardslap

Lizardslap

Neowinian

• 177 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 23:39

about time they added this law. I have to drive through old people central (the villages) to get to work and it makes me rage so hard going and coming from work

#11 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,367 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 11 May 2013 - 23:41

I thought it was esentially illegal to be a turtle on the road, it was one of the first things I learned many moons ago, and at least in PR and in TN you can get a ticket for going too slow as well as speeding

#12 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,435 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 23:44

Good...you get fined for driving in the carpool lane when you are the only one in the car so why not this as well. Should be illegal in every state.

#13 ensiform

ensiform

Neowinian

• 563 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 23:49

I thought it was esentially illegal to be a turtle on the road, it was one of the first things I learned many moons ago, and at least in PR and in TN you can get a ticket for going too slow as well as speeding

Yea well, then you get the people who think its their civic duty to drive 55 on freeway in the left lane. "55 saves lives." My ass. You will be the one getting hit with whiplash when someone flies into you.

#14 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• 4,304 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 11 May 2013 - 23:55

There is a maximum and minimum posted speed limit. Here you'll see a max speed limit of 60mph (in the city) and a minimum of 45mph.

Anyway, given that the left lane is a passing lane, and you're probably not passing anybody if you're driving over 10mph under the posted max speed limit, this is already illegal... no additional law necessary. It's illegal to stay in the left lane more than half a mile.

#15 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 2,925 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 23:58

There is a maximum and minimum posted speed limit. Here you'll see a max speed limit of 60mph (in the city) and a minimum of 45mph.

Anyway, given that the left lane is a passing lane, and you're probably not passing anybody if you're driving over 10mph under the posted max speed limit, this is already illegal... no additional law necessary. It's illegal to stay in the left lane more than half a mile.

Depends on the state. We don't have minimum speeds posted here, just single speed limit signs.