Photo

Why i'm abandoning Windows Phone

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 thechronic

thechronic

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 May 2013 - 17:36

I have to say first that the platform itself is fantastic. It's stable, it's well designed in my opinion but i feel i must abandon ship and switch back to Android.

Windows Phone 7.8 of course has been replaced by Windows Phone 8. My Lumia 800 device is missing out on certain releases that are only available for Windows Phone 8 for example the new Facebook beta and Temple Run.

The device should be capable of running such apps so why am i being left out? I've only had it since the beginning of last year!

Windows Phone 8 has more apps but it doesn't seem that there are many major releases to choose from there either.

I'm sad to leave Windows Phone. I hope that in 12 months time when i'm due to upgrade again that the situation has changed. I just can't be doing with this anymore.

Anyone else abandoned ship or perhaps just switched to Windows Phone?

#2 typu

typu

Neowinian

Posted 11 May 2013 - 17:44

yeh i did same. switched back to android as I felt lacking too much on windows phone. im on the nexus 4 and the phone together with android gives me just everything i want. android has a strong ecosystem in the meanwhile. ill give windows phone another try in a year or so.

#3 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 11 May 2013 - 17:59

yeh i did same. switched back to android as I felt lacking too much on windows phone. im on the nexus 4 and the phone together with android gives me just everything i want. android has a strong ecosystem in the meanwhile. ill give windows phone another try in a year or so.

Yeah the Nexus 4 is quite awesome. Does everything, and does it very well. Like a little supercomputer that thing is.
Only thing I'll be upgrading to in the future, would be the Nexus 5, if that's what it'll be called.

#4 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 11 May 2013 - 18:00

I love me some Nexus devices, but they really need to be more generous on storage or add an expansion slot.

#5 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

Posted 11 May 2013 - 18:11

I love me some Nexus devices, but they really need to be more generous on storage or add an expansion slot.

More storage means more money, lots more money.
But yeah, the options to buy 32 and 64 gig models would be a bonus.
I think the general idea was to get a powerful phone out and keep the price low, and mission accomplished.

#6 typu

typu

Neowinian

Posted 11 May 2013 - 18:15

Yeah the Nexus 4 is quite awesome. Does everything, and does it very well. Like a little supercomputer that thing is.
Only thing I'll be upgrading to in the future, would be the Nexus 5, if that's what it'll be called.

i like your comment of a little supercomputer

e.g. I was streaming a movie from my PC to my TV in the living room. the movie was in english. my mate asked for subtitles so i fired up my nexus 4. downloaded the .srt as a .zip file. dezipped the file and copied the .srt file from my nexus into the movie folder of my pc. all that with my phone. my mate was like WTF...

thats the sort of things a phone does not need to do at all. but mine can do it. thats what i love about the android ecosystem. you always find a solution at little to no costs with little to no efforts. as long as windows phone is not there i would just miss too many things occassionally.

you have to ask yourself what you need out of your phone. i for my part want the maximum possible. so im sticking with android and the nexus line.

#7 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 May 2013 - 18:17

More storage means more money, lots more money.
But yeah, the options to buy 32 and 64 gig models would be a bonus.
I think the general idea was to get a powerful phone out and keep the price low, and mission accomplished.

It doesn't have to equate to a lot more money. The 32GB Nexus 7 is a good example of that.

#8 soldier1st

soldier1st

Software Tester/Tech/Linux Lover

• Phone: HTC Incredible S

Posted 11 May 2013 - 18:32

I have a feeling that money is the issue as to why WP7 users are being abandoned. MS wants to sell more Windows phones but feel the cost of upping WP7 users to WP8 would be too much, though i could be wrong. Anyways, When i was first interested in smartphones, i only wanted an android phone since i heard the name. The others didn't appeal to me.

#9 Matthew_Thepc

Matthew_Thepc

Neowinian

Posted 11 May 2013 - 18:32

you have to ask yourself what you need out of your phone. i for my part want the maximum possible. so im sticking with android and the nexus line.

exactly my feelings; I prefer Windows Phone because I'm fine doing stuff like that on my PC if it means (IMO) a nicer experience, but if I were looking for a phone to do it all I would definitely go with Android

#10 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 11 May 2013 - 18:39

I'm sticking with Windows Phone because I don't want to switch over to Google services besides Youtube.

#11 typu

typu

Neowinian

Posted 11 May 2013 - 18:45

I'm sticking with Windows Phone because I don't want to switch over to Google services besides Youtube.

i never understood that privacy concern users have.

there are thousands of companies worldwide that collect and analyze data. even if they dont belong to google, im pretty sure that google has a stake in many of them.
so why bother, you have no control over it anyways.

#12 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

Posted 11 May 2013 - 18:45

It doesn't have to equate to a lot more money. The 32GB Nexus 7 is a good example of that.

No doubt. I never really thought of that. Was thinking more in the line of how much Apple charges for their devices depending on how much storage they have.
A 32GB Nexus would be perfect. For me anyways. I don't actually like mem cards, they never truly work properly.
I'm doing quite fine with my 16GB, got lots of apps, most of them useful, some I don't really need, but apps are small.
Got lots of big games and I don't really need them on it all at once, but do. And got more music than I actually need at one time.
Also have pictures and stuff, but anyways, I still have 2 gigs left

Oh, I also was kinda leary on forking out lots of money for a phone as I've been threw many, even had a Galaxy S1 which I thought was a piece o junk and expensive for what ya get. But after using my Nexus 4, which I bought cuz it was cheap and the specs were so fantastic, I'd definitely fork out top dollar for one with more storage space now. I'll definitely be buying a Nexus 5 even if it's way more expensive with more storage.

#13 mrmomoman

mrmomoman

Neowinian

Posted 11 May 2013 - 18:57

As with all newer eco-systems it will have its share of hiccups and adoption. When you have the two 800 lbs gorillas sitting in the same room as the chimp who do you think will get the bananas first?

I have used all sorts of flagship phones including the Lumia 920 and before it was even big the Lumia 900 and the Lumia 800. I also have the Samsung Focus which was a decent phone.

I moved to Apple due to the Eco-System and since then moved towards Android HTC ONE after not really enjoying the Nexus 4 or the SIII. I have settled down with the HTC ONE and will test run the Lumia 928 on Verizon.

I hope the FB and potential Instagram apps will have people move towards the WP Eco-System a little faster. It deserves a shot at it because the OS is really that good. I know more people would move over if the eco-system was in place with the apps they really love were on the WP platform.

As many have mentioned 20K great apps is better than 800K okay apps. Because in the end that number can be 2 Million for both iOS and Android and it won't make a difference since no matter what country you live in you will only use so many go to apps. You just hope those apps are polished. All things being equal with Apps that were as polished on each Platform I think that WP would be a solid 2nd place if not first. iOS has a better polish currently. WP needs to add better toast notifications, have apps developer use less of the Standards MS set and create outside of the box. Once they can show that Apps designed this way can be successful then others will follow.

I love my Surface Pro and people ask me about it all the time. They think it has its own "APPS" per se and I have to explain it to them that its Windows 8 in a tablet. I do believe the RT did hurt MS some in the understanding of the difference. They were horrible post install to show people how to access things. Short cuts needs to be explained and a manual needs to be forced open upon completion of the install to show people how to navigate. Get them to understand the basics and they will want to learn more. Confuse or failure to communicate to them the design ideas and they will just get lost and frustrated.

MS has admitted to a harder learning curve and that is on them. They messed up and didn't think about giving more instructions post setup to help people get along. The MS stores are not as helpful at setting up lessons or making sure people get free lessons upon purchases. They should have hourly courses with an "intro" to Surface or WIN 8.

Just small things and it can make hugh impacts.

My HTC ONE looks like WP8 with Launcher 8 and many people ask me why and I tell them that I find the interface of the WP8 phones the best interface and when they check out my Launcher they agree.

Come on MS and other developers make this eco-system stronger by at least matching and then exceeding our expectations on your next apps. FB will be a hit I know and Instagram has better potential. Look at Evernote. They know how to make apps and update to make them better!!

#14 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

Posted 11 May 2013 - 18:58

i never understood that privacy concern users have.

there are thousands of companies worldwide that collect and analyze data. even if they dont belong to google, im pretty sure that google has a stake in many of them.
so why bother, you have no control over it anyways.

I never understood privacy concerns either.
What is Google finding out exactly? As far as I'm concerned, no one online is finding out private info about me.
Nothing that can't be found in real life anyways. They ain't finding out how much times I get laid, or don't, or how many times a day I jerk off.
Other than that, what is classified as Private?
I'm also not a paranoid type, so it could just be me. I have 3 cameras pointed in my direction which never ever has bothered me, no matter what I'm doing.
Bothers other people though, but I don't care. If they don't like it, beat it!!

#15 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 11 May 2013 - 19:04

I am planning on selling my Galaxy S 3 here in a week or so and picking up the Lumia 928.