Cocaine vaccine going to human trials

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 IsItPluggedIn

IsItPluggedIn

Neowinian

• 882 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:22

As said before its a vaccine not a drug you need to take continually.

I like the idea, and it would be great if it could be replicated to other substances. Some people would benefit from this greatly, some people have definite issues with addictive substances.

As for the legalization argument, if you are going to legalize it, it needs to be controlled. Supply chains need to be controlled by the government until it is under control, but most of the people who are in favor of legalization will not accept government control.

#17 OP DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 16,943 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:10

decriminalization will removes the 'cool' effect & bragging right of using it,
this more rooted to human psychology than reasons, and yes decriminalization of drugs would usually lower its price.

http://www.npr.org/2...Drug-Experiment

When Portugal decriminalized all illegal drugs in 2000, officials hoped to reduce addiction rates and drug-related violence. Today, more users are in rehab, but drug use is on the rise, and reporter Keith O'Brien says the policy has made the problem worse.

When Portugal decriminalized all illegal drugs in 2000, officials hoped to reduce addiction rates and drug-related violence. Today, more users are in rehab, but drug use is on the rise, and reporter Keith O'Brien says the policy has made the problem worse.

Journalist Keith O'Brien describes what happened in a piece titled "Drug Experiment" of The Boston Globe, and he joins us now from member station WWNO in New Orleans. Nice to have you with us today.

Mr. KEITH O'BRIEN (Freelance Writer): Thank you, Neal. Good to be here.

CONAN: And you described Portugal's result as really a Rorschach Test -it depends who's looking.
>
CONAN: So that seems to be a pretty good argument, saying, hey, this has all worked. What's on the other side of the argument?

Mr. O'BRIEN: Well, people on the other side of the argument say that, in fact, there has been an increase, and the data bears that out. In -those reporting drug use, personal drug use over the course of their lifetime has gone up about 40 to 50 percent in the last decade.

The - people reporting the use of cannabis, cocaine, heroin, amphetamines, ecstasy, you name it, it's all gone up. At the same time, there has been an increase in drug-related deaths in Portugal. So there's an argument to be made there.

>

#18 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

• 1,014 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:43

It concerns me that you think it's appropriate to force such a treatment upon somebody. Forced medical treatment violates human rights and centuries of medical practice. However, such a vaccine could be offered in exchange for reduced criminal sentences and should be offered for free to anybody addicted to cocaine. Portugal has demonstrated that decriminalisation can reduce drug usage and increase the number seeking medical treatment for addiction and that is something that other countries should seriously consider, especially the US with it's incredibly draconian and racially biased drug laws.

I work in addictions, Ive seen the screwed up stuff this particular drug can lead to. Drive-bys in broad daylight in outside a childrens hospital for instance... Im not talking about forcing this on the guy who has 1 conviction of possessing an 8-ball in the past 5 years... Im talking about the repeat offenders who demonstrated have no regard for human welfare, blowing their government support cheques at the dealers in addition to doing petty crimes/snatching purses/B&E, and are abusing the healthcare system to avoid jailtime by claiming 'drugs made them do it' and you know its BS.. you can smell their BS a mile away and wish you could track them when they leave as you are certain nothing you done helped and they are going directly to their dealers after their mandatory 7-day rehabilitation.

I guess forced was the wrong word, heavily weighted option may be better. long jail term or 'drugs will never get you high again" Even if that was an option I know people would still take hard time over a shot ever month or 2 + probation...
just get this stuff into their arms and make cocaine useless for them is the only way you'll curb the hold this has on some people. Its death by debt or death by OD..

#19 fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

• 3,565 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:58

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 blade1269

blade1269

Jesus Saved me! A Christian!

• 1,713 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 13:01

I have never understood how that works. You would think decriminalization and having more access to drugs would bring about more drug usage.

I think it eliminates the coolness factor....

#21 fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

• 3,565 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 13 May 2013 - 13:02

long jail term

First off, thank you for being a strong individual for working with rehab patients.. That is a tough job and takes a strong person to help them..

I think jail sentences for drugs is horrible.. It cost taxpayers too much money and doesn't really solve the problem.

#22 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,065 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 13 May 2013 - 13:15

I work in addictions, Ive seen the screwed up stuff this particular drug can lead to. Drive-bys in broad daylight in outside a childrens hospital for instance... Im not talking about forcing this on the guy who has 1 conviction of possessing an 8-ball in the past 5 years... Im talking about the repeat offenders who demonstrated have no regard for human welfare, blowing their government support cheques at the dealers in addition to doing petty crimes/snatching purses/B&E, and are abusing the healthcare system to avoid jailtime by claiming 'drugs made them do it' and you know its BS.. you can smell their BS a mile away and wish you could track them when they leave as you are certain nothing you done helped and they are going directly to their dealers after their mandatory 7-day rehabilitation.

If people pose a danger to society then they should be in jail; if not they should be free to live their lives. As for drug addicts, many want to be free from addiction but don't have the willpower to do so - those are the sort of people who would jump at the chance to take a vaccine for addiction. The rest simply don't want helping.

I appreciate that what some of these people do is horrific and abhorrent but I am still a firm believer in the freedom of individuals to choose their own destiny - that means honouring Do Not Resuscitate orders; letting Jehovah's Witnesses die if they choose to refuse surgery or blood transplants; letting people starve themselves to death in protest (Suffragettes, Guantanamo Bay prisoners, etc); and not forcing vaccines likes this on people who do not want them. As I said, it is far better to weight the system to make people choose to do so of their own accord - however, sentencing must still be rational. For instance, it's not appropriate to threaten the death penalty or life in prison if they refuse the vaccine.

PS - Here's an article on Portugal's decriminalisation of drugs. It's by no means a perfect solution but the reality is the war on drugs isn't working and that money would be better spent benefiting society.

#23 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

• 1,014 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 23:24

First off, thank you for being a strong individual for working with rehab patients.. That is a tough job and takes a strong person to help them..

I think jail sentences for drugs is horrible.. It cost taxpayers too much money and doesn't really solve the problem.

It don't, especially when the system is setup to provide help to everyone regardless of what happened (appointed attorneys, transport, food, clothes, etc). It hammers down on alcoholics that they need a $2200 interlock system installed, yet a drug user who beats a old woman into a coma for $50 is considered sick/ill from the drugs rather than a criminal, and can continue to use that same excuse to exploit the system setup to help those who really want it. It disgusts me to see the same faces over and over. in for the same thing over and over. just to repeat over and over and waste the resources. Beds are full and you find out someone who has never been in before OD'd because they couldn't get in, due to this court ordered dick whos only there to shave time off his sentence.

#24 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:59

I agree. I don't think jail is the answer.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!