75 posts in this topic

REPORT: US chalks up more first-day newborn deaths than rest of the industrialized world combined

us-newborn-deaths-combined.si.jpg

The number of babies dying in their first day of life remains significantly higher in the United States than 33 other leading industrialized nations combined, an annual report compiled by Save the Children reveals.

The London-based charity's "State of the World's Mothers" compiled a list of birth-day death rates for 176 countries, as well as information on maternal health, education and women's income and political status.

While only one percent of the world?s more than one-million first-day deaths occur in the developed world, the US far outpaces its industrialized peers in newborn deaths.

The report determines that an estimated 11,300 babies die each year in the United States on the day they are born, ?50 percent more first-day deaths than all other industrialized combined.?

?When first-day deaths in the United State are compared to those in the 27 countries making up the European Union, the findings show that European Union countries, taken together, have 1 million more births each year (4.3 million vs. 5.3 million, respectively) but only about half as many first-day deaths as the United States (11,300 in the US vs. 5,800 in EU member countries),? the report claims.

It continues that among 33 other industrialized countries where data was available, there was a combined total of 7,500 first-day deaths each year.

?The US represents 31 percent of the population in these 34 industrialized countries and 38 percent of the annual live births, but it has 60 percent of all first-day deaths,? the report continues. In some US counties, the first-day death rates are comparable to those in developing countries.

The disparity is attributed to the US pre-term birth rate, which is reportedly the second-highest in the industrialized world behind Cyprus and the sixth highest worldwide (following India, China, Nigeria, Pakistan and Indonesia.)

The US has over half a million preterm births each year, and complications from premature births are the cause of more than 35 per cent of newborn deaths in the country.

The US also has the highest adolescent birth rate of any industrialized country, with teen mothers tending to be poorer, less educated and the recipients of less pre-natal care. The report also notes poverty, racism and stress as likely contributing factors to first-day deaths in the US, as well as other industrialized states.

Worldwide the US comes in 30th place in terms of the overall assessment of mothers? and children?s well-being. Finland meanwhile, came in first place, with its Nordic neighbors filling out the top 5.

Niger was found the be the worst place in the world to be a mother, with sub-Saharan Africa occupying the bottom ten slots for the first time in the reports 14-year history. The charity noted lack of nutrition as a key factor in the high mother and infant mortality rates in the region.

India, however, by far outpaced the world in the total number of babies dying within 24 hours of being born. The country registers over 300,000 such deaths per year ? 29 percent of all newborn deaths worldwide. Other populous Asian states including China, Indonesia, Pakistan and Bangladesh were among the top ten states with the highest number of first day deaths.

SOURCE: http://rt.com/usa/us...s-combined-960/

It would be useful to know why there are so many premature births in the US. Also, is there a link between the premature births and teenage pregnancy/poverty? Is there a proportionally higher death rate for premature babies in the US compared to premature babies in other developed countries?

from all the drinking,smoking, stuff they shouldnt be doing durning preg.

2 people like this

USA also have the highest number of caesarians Can't help but think that's connected somehow, but they have far and away the highest number. It seems to be standard practice, simply booking someone in for a C-Sec as a matter of course. This is obviously down to the financials, with the hospitals getting more $$ for a caesarian than a natural birth.

I would assume it's a combination of a) more rural areas (harder to reach hospitals), b) poor sex education (because of religion and conservative values), c) poor access to birth control (i.e. the morning after pill, which should now change), d) inadequate and expensive healthcare, e) poor food safety standards (the FDA has been completely corrupted by major industries), f) complications from obesity and g) poor governance (southern states with fewer tobacco restrictions have higher smoking rates).

Unfortunately this issue has been known about for a long time and there doesn't appear to be an motivation to address it.

2 people like this

I would assume it's a combination of a) more rural areas (harder to reach hospitals), b) poor sex education (because of religion and conservative values), c) poor access to birth control (i.e. the morning after pill, which should now change), d) inadequate and expensive healthcare, e) poor food safety standards (the FDA has been completely corrupted by major industries), f) complications from obesity and g) poor governance (southern states with fewer tobacco restrictions have higher smoking rates).

Unfortunately this issue has been known about for a long time and there doesn't appear to be an motivation to address it.

Yeah, my gut instinct would be to blame obvious factors like the ones you mentioned but it would be nice to have a more scientific and fact-based assessment. Simply knowing that the number of newborn deaths is higher is relatively meaningless without a proper assessment of the causes and doesn't provide any way to improve the statistics.

Edit: I just re-read this paragraph and it does seem to link adolescent pregnancies and other factors as possible causes:

The US also has the highest adolescent birth rate of any industrialized country, with teen mothers tending to be poorer, less educated and the recipients of less pre-natal care. The report also notes poverty, racism and stress as likely contributing factors to first-day deaths in the US, as well as other industrialized states.

It's just a shame the article doesn't look at each of these factors in more detail I guess.

1 person likes this

from all the drinking,smoking, stuff they shouldnt be doing durning preg.

This

And this.

My two cents thrown in.. all the **** people eat these days.. even men.. All that "pink slime" and crap.. GMO.. who knows how all that POSION we are eating affects our sperm..

It'd be nice to know how they actually compared their numbers. Need raw data. Don't need numbers of percentages that don't explain how they're comparing them. Is it significantly more or did they just fail to compare properly?

USA also have the highest number of caesarians Can't help but think that's connected somehow, but they have far and away the highest number. It seems to be standard practice, simply booking someone in for a C-Sec as a matter of course. This is obviously down to the financials, with the hospitals getting more $$ for a caesarian than a natural birth.

In most public health care around the world they only do c-sections when they really, really, really need to where as in the US doctors fearing they will be sued just give c-sections on demand when the female requests it. It is part of the reason why the US health costs are astronomical when compared to most industrialised countries.

Don't for a second discount the deadly effect of immunizations in this country, both to adults and to unborn babies. They do far more harm then good, and are pushed as "mandatory" or "required" in the entire U.S., even though by law they CANNOT force you or your children to get them. Here is a short list from Rense.com. I know he is a conspiracy advocate, but the ingredients are the same no matter where you look them up. They list just some of the poison cocktails you get when you immunize yourself and your children:

http://rense.com/general59/vvac.htm

Tim

Don't for a second discount the deadly effect of immunizations in this country, both to adults and to unborn babies. They do far more harm then good, and are pushed as "mandatory" or "required" in the entire U.S., even though by law they CANNOT force you or your children to get them. Here is a short list from Rense.com. I know he is a conspiracy advocate, but the ingredients are the same no matter where you look them up. They list just some of the poison cocktails you get when you immunize yourself and your children:

Tim

No.

7 people like this

I generally don't like 99% of the stuff you post on Neowin, but this is around 105% correct. Btw, the morning after pill is looked down upon by damn near everyone due to the religious implications, so people don't really use it even if it was there. At least around here they don't. GG bible belt.

This

And this.

My two cents thrown in.. all the **** people eat these days.. even men.. All that "pink slime" and crap.. GMO.. who knows how all that POSION we are eating affects our sperm..

The bad thing, and this really gets me, is they eat this crap because its super easy to get. The problem? Its also super easy to stop at a grocery store and buy fresh vegetables, and fresh meat. 90% of the supermarkets in this area have a butcher on duty and will even do special cuts. It all boils down to being LAZY. This county is full of it, and then everyone relies on the government when something happens. I know, I used to be like that until i got tired of feeling like crap all the time, and learned how to garden. Now I love doing it, and usually grow WAY to much, and end up giving most of it away. Its just laziness.

Tim

totally 100% disagree

totally 100% disagree

Except that immunizations would have zero impact on first day newborn deaths. You do not vaccinate a child the day it's born.

2 people like this

Tim

I believe there's a Conspiracies forum on here for that.

3 people like this

Except that immunizations would have zero impact on first day newborn deaths. You do not vaccinate a child the day it's born.

I am pretty sure hepatitis c vaccine is givin that day.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong but I could have sworn you go back a couple days to a week later for shots. Regardless, not vaccinating your child not only puts them at a much higher risk of contracting previously eradicated diseases but also impacts the herd immunity of society and jeopardizes others. Which is why day-cares, schools and universities are increasingly requiring medical documentation of immunizations.

1 person likes this

ITT pseudo-skeptics and their conspiracy's.

Naw its cause we turned oua back on gawd and hes smitin da newboarns like in Egypt! Difference between previous posts and this ? Not much.

blaming religion lol. christians believe marriage before sex therefore pretty much ruling out teen pregnancies and they dont believe in using illegal drugs so that rules out any deathes related to drugs. the devout christian isnt responsible for first day deaths..

The bad thing, and this really gets me, is they eat this crap because its super easy to get. The problem? Its also super easy to stop at a grocery store and buy fresh vegetables, and fresh meat. 90% of the supermarkets in this area have a butcher on duty and will even do special cuts. It all boils down to being LAZY. This county is full of it, and then everyone relies on the government when something happens. I know, I used to be like that until i got tired of feeling like crap all the time, and learned how to garden. Now I love doing it, and usually grow WAY to much, and end up giving most of it away. Its just laziness.

Where do you live that 90% of the supermarkets have a butcher on duty? None of the big ones around here do. Sure you can go to the farmers market and buy some there but then you end up paying like $25 for a pound of beef.

So it's not only that fast / processed food is easy to get but it's also a lot cheaper. You're also forgetting that in a lot of families both the parents work full-time and when they get back from work they're too tired to have to get an entire meal ready.

Being lazy is part of the problem but it's not the only reason.

1 person likes this

Where do you live that 90% of the supermarkets have a butcher on duty? None of the big ones around here do. Sure you can go to the farmers market and buy some there but then you end up paying like $25 for a pound of beef.

So it's not only that fast / processed food is easy to get but it's also a lot cheaper. You're also forgetting that in a lot of families both the parents work full-time and when they get back from work they're too tired to have to get an entire meal ready.

Food City and Kroger have butchers ,both big super markets in the south.
1 person likes this

Food City and Kroger have butchers ,both big super markets in the south.

We have Fred Meyer here (Kroger) but the fresh meat section is usually just ground beef and ham, no real specialty cuts like chuck, tri-tip etc. If you want those you buy them pre-packaged.

Don't know if anyone has brought this up, or if it was covered, but what about how many births there are per day in the US vs each of the other countries sampled? Perhaps the number is higher then the rest of the other countries, but it is the same percentage due to total numbers?

hep B not C

why give absolute numbers and not a ratio to population. those are numbers that can be compared.

I live in western Kentucky. Right outside of Henderson as a matter of fact. Sureway, Krogers, and around 15 non national brands all have butchers on duty.