9 posts in this topic

Posted

[size=6]Kaspersky Lab to offer feedback on hacking to Watch Dogs dev team[/size]
by John Callaham

The well known security firm Kaspersky Lab is getting into the game business ... sort of. The firm is collaborating with the development team behind Ubisoft's upcoming action game Watch Dogs in order to give its players a more realistic, if still fictional, look at how computer hacking actually works.

According to Joystiq, hacking will be used in Watch Dogs to access items like cameras, laptops, ATMs and cars in the game world. Ubisoft's senior producer Dominic Guay says that the hacking features will be handled differently than other games, saying, "It's not about the minigame that will let me open the door, it's the fact that I'm making a plan. I'm making a plan of how I'm going to chain hacking, shooting, traveling the city and driving to achieve an objective."

Ubisoft sent Kaspersky Lab some of the designs they have in mind for the hacking features in Watch Dogs. Guay states, " ... it's interesting to see what gets back. Sometimes they say, 'Yeah, that's possible, but change that word,' or, 'That's not the way it works." The game is scheduled for release this November for the PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, PC and other unnamed next generation consoles, although the next Xbox is a likely platform.

Source: Joystiq | Image via Ubisoft

Posted

Cool! Glad this is coming to the PC.
1 person likes this

Posted

Realistic hacking: running nmap to find a open port, then spend the next 3 days trying to brute force the credentials.
2 people like this

Posted

[quote name='djdanster' timestamp='1368376041' post='595685880']Cool! Glad this is coming to the PC.[/quote]
Pretty sure it's being designed with the PC in mind.. The demo at E3 was on the PC, after all. The current generation consoles could never support running the game they showed above single digit framerates.
1 person likes this

Posted

that's just sponsorship, nothing more.

[quote name='The_Decryptor' timestamp='1368392094' post='595686128']
Realistic hacking: running nmap to find a open port, then spend the next 3 days trying to brute force the credentials.
[/quote]
Yeah. While in Watch Dogs all you have to do is just press a button. With one button you can get down everything around...

Posted

[quote name='DAOWAce' timestamp='1368397065' post='595686230']
Pretty sure it's being designed with the PC in mind.. The demo at E3 was on the PC, after all. The current generation consoles could never support running the game they showed above single digit framerates.
[/quote]
It's being released for PS3/PS4/Xbox 360/WiiU/PC so if it's able to run on the wiiu then either the wiiu will have a cut down version, or it's not gonna be that great on PC :(. I hope it is but we're always let down

Posted

[quote name='n_K' timestamp='1368525659' post='595688952']then either the wiiu will have a cut down version, or it's not gonna be that great on PC[/quote]
Wii U is more powerful than the 360 and PS3.

PS4 and Durango/Infinity/720 are on mainstream PC levels.

The game they showed, graphically, could not possibly run on current generation consoles; including the Wii U.

It will definitely be cut down for the older consoles; it'd be stupid to artificially gut it so it's the same on every system.

Posted

[quote name='DAOWAce' timestamp='1368526780' post='595688978']
Wii U is more powerful than the 360 and PS3.
[/quote]
Yeah but it's not, it can't even run the frostbite 2 engine whilst the PS3 and 360 can run the frostbite 2 and frostbite 3 engine respectively.

[quote name='DAOWAce' timestamp='1368526780' post='595688978']
It will definitely be cut down for the older consoles; it'd be stupid to artificially gut it so it's the same on every system.
[/quote]
Eidos also did it with deus ex.

Posted

[quote name='n_K' timestamp='1368688164' post='595692396']
Yeah but it's not, it can't even run the frostbite 2 engine whilst the PS3 and 360 can run the frostbite 2 and frostbite 3 engine respectively.[/quote]
I thought that was talking about the Wii, not the Wii U. IIRC they weren't even going to bother testing out the new engine because of the old one not running well, which again, is stupid.

And actually I retract my statement; the PS3 is more powerful; it's just never really used to its full potential.

[quote name='n_K' timestamp='1368688164' post='595692396']Eidos also did it with deus ex.[/quote]
And that's stupid.