8 replies to this topic

#1 vetJohn Callaham

John Callaham

Neowinian

• 666 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 16:26

Kaspersky Lab to offer feedback on hacking to Watch Dogs dev team
by John Callaham

The well known security firm Kaspersky Lab is getting into the game business ... sort of. The firm is collaborating with the development team behind Ubisoft's upcoming action game Watch Dogs in order to give its players a more realistic, if still fictional, look at how computer hacking actually works.

According to Joystiq, hacking will be used in Watch Dogs to access items like cameras, laptops, ATMs and cars in the game world. Ubisoft's senior producer Dominic Guay says that the hacking features will be handled differently than other games, saying, "It's not about the minigame that will let me open the door, it's the fact that I'm making a plan. I'm making a plan of how I'm going to chain hacking, shooting, traveling the city and driving to achieve an objective."

Ubisoft sent Kaspersky Lab some of the designs they have in mind for the hacking features in Watch Dogs. Guay states, " ... it's interesting to see what gets back. Sometimes they say, 'Yeah, that's possible, but change that word,' or, 'That's not the way it works." The game is scheduled for release this November for the PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, PC and other unnamed next generation consoles, although the next Xbox is a likely platform.

Source: Joystiq | Image via Ubisoft

#2 +djdanster

djdanster

Neowin elite

• 3,200 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 White Frost

Posted 12 May 2013 - 16:27

Cool! Glad this is coming to the PC.

#3 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,508 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 20:54

Realistic hacking: running nmap to find a open port, then spend the next 3 days trying to brute force the credentials.

#4 DAOWAce

DAOWAce

Blind

• 386 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 22:17

Cool! Glad this is coming to the PC.

Pretty sure it's being designed with the PC in mind.. The demo at E3 was on the PC, after all. The current generation consoles could never support running the game they showed above single digit framerates.

#5 coth

coth

Neowinian

• 1,373 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:28

that's just sponsorship, nothing more.

Realistic hacking: running nmap to find a open port, then spend the next 3 days trying to brute force the credentials.

Yeah. While in Watch Dogs all you have to do is just press a button. With one button you can get down everything around...

#6 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,402 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:00

Pretty sure it's being designed with the PC in mind.. The demo at E3 was on the PC, after all. The current generation consoles could never support running the game they showed above single digit framerates.

It's being released for PS3/PS4/Xbox 360/WiiU/PC so if it's able to run on the wiiu then either the wiiu will have a cut down version, or it's not gonna be that great on PC :(. I hope it is but we're always let down

#7 DAOWAce

DAOWAce

Blind

• 386 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:19

then either the wiiu will have a cut down version, or it's not gonna be that great on PC

Wii U is more powerful than the 360 and PS3.

PS4 and Durango/Infinity/720 are on mainstream PC levels.

The game they showed, graphically, could not possibly run on current generation consoles; including the Wii U.

It will definitely be cut down for the older consoles; it'd be stupid to artificially gut it so it's the same on every system.

#8 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,402 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:09

Wii U is more powerful than the 360 and PS3.

Yeah but it's not, it can't even run the frostbite 2 engine whilst the PS3 and 360 can run the frostbite 2 and frostbite 3 engine respectively.

It will definitely be cut down for the older consoles; it'd be stupid to artificially gut it so it's the same on every system.

Eidos also did it with deus ex.

#9 DAOWAce

DAOWAce

Blind

• 386 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 18:37

Yeah but it's not, it can't even run the frostbite 2 engine whilst the PS3 and 360 can run the frostbite 2 and frostbite 3 engine respectively.

I thought that was talking about the Wii, not the Wii U. IIRC they weren't even going to bother testing out the new engine because of the old one not running well, which again, is stupid.

And actually I retract my statement; the PS3 is more powerful; it's just never really used to its full potential.

Eidos also did it with deus ex.

And that's stupid.