Will Bill Gates be known in 100 years?

He will be remembered for the work he has done since Microsoft, i dont think he sees that as a reason for doing it. For him i would imagine its a nice thing that will happen because of what he is doing. Steve Jobs said that Gates had figured it out, he said he didnt want to be the richest man in the cemetery. And i think he was right.

Considering that Bill Gates will be leaving the vast majority of his wealth to charity I think it's fair to assume he will be remembered.

Considering that Bill Gates will be leaving the vast majority of his wealth to charity I think it's fair to assume he will be remembered.

for many years.... again, not for 100 years.

for many years.... again, not for 100 years.

Why not? Henry Ford is well known because he founded Ford and that will be similar to Bill Gates as Microsoft will continue on for the foreseeable future, plus there will be his philanthropic legacy. Also, the digital age means that we have much better records than in previous generations. He likely won't be as well known as today but he will still be widely known.

Why not? Henry Ford is well known because he founded Ford.

That's like Comparing NASA to Wal-Mart. There is no reason to compare the two. Its just Microsoft, a software company.

Try Bill Gates vs Warren Buffett

Being remember by the majority of earths population for his donations? For 100 years?

I would bet most people don't even know he has a foundation now. One man can only do so much with his remaining years.

Even if he gets a Nobel peace prize, lowers the death rate, and continues his vaccine plan, and whatever else he's doing; the world will care for 100 years?

Being remember by the majority of earths population for his donations? For 100 years?

I would bet most people don't even know he has a foundation now. One man can only do so much with his remaining years.

Even if he gets a Nobel peace prize, lowers the death rate, and continues his vaccine plan, and whatever else he's doing; the world will care for 100 years?

That will change when he dies, as he has pledged his $58bn wealth to charity.

That will change when he dies, as he has pledged his $58bn wealth to charity.

The charity would be most likely be know for solving the future problems, not the dead guy. Sure his name would still be on paper, etc. but not a lot of exposer once he's dead. He's not the first donate his enormous wealth to charity. It also depends how far that money goes.

The charity would be most likely be know for solving the future problems, not the dead guy.

And the charity is called "The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation", so my point remains. You seem desperate to prove he won't be remembered, rather than being open to the possibility that he will - in fact you come across as rather stubborn. His charity has made substantial progress towards eliminating polio and malaria, which if achieved would certainly create an impressive legacy. He stands a much better chance of being remembered than most of his peers.

And the charity is called "The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation", so my point remains. You seem desperate to prove he won't be remembered, rather than being open to the possibility that he will

Because I don't believe the foundation has been around long enough, done enough to stand out from other foundations and hasn't made a mark compared to some other groups. 100 years is a long time to be remember for something that isn't massive news by todays standards or has been done yet.

Because I don't believe the foundation has been around long enough, done enough to stand out from other foundations and hasn't made a mark compared to some other groups. 100 years is a long time to be remember for something that isn't massive news by todays standards or has been done yet.

Eradicating polio and malaria would certainly put it on the map and the foundation has already made huge strides towards that goal. Just twenty years ago 350,000 children were paralysed each year by polio - as of last month the number for the year to date stood at 19, which extrapolates to less than 100 for the entire year. And that's ignoring the huge contributions that Bill Gates has made to the technology industry. People still remember famous businessmen like Thomas Edison and Alexander Graham Bell nearly a century after their deaths, so it's perfectly plausible that in the digital era?where much better records are kept than in previous generations?Bill Gates will remain a well know figure.

But again you have changed the goal posts, as in your previous post you said it was likely that the charity would be known and now you're saying it won't be. You seem to be going out of your way to argue he won't be remembered. You're not interested in an actual discussion on the matter, only in pushing your own agenda.

But again you have changed the goal posts, as in your previous post you said it was likely that the charity would be known and now you're saying it won't be. You seem to be going out of your way to argue he won't be remembered. You're not interested in an actual discussion on the matter, only in pushing your own agenda.

The charity would be most likely be know for solving the future problems, not the dead guy.

As shown above, The foundation will be likely be remember for solving said problems over the dead guy. I wasn't giving any indication of how well the foundation will be know for their work, just that the foundation name will out live Bill Gates and his "legacy". That should clear things up.

Yes. I am going out of my way to argue about things I don't believe are true, that is how a debate works. I will pick out the small things that have errors and magnify them so you can see them. You just seam to be unsettled that I want to speak my mind.

I created this thread to get feedback and other peoples options, not to get in a flame war.

I laid out my thoughts and information, don't get mad over that. This is a discussion and I cannot continue if you keep trying to turn this around.

• 5 months later...

Gates might be remembered as the guy who funded research to eradicate a few diseases, and maybe as one of the Microsoft founders (in those history books that mention Microsoft at all).

Steve Jobs sold trinkets that were only relevant to a subset of the population alive at the time.  I doubt he's going to have a better chance of being remembered for anything at all.

[edit]

######ing May?  Why did this show up for me?  Sorry, it certainly wasn't my intention to ever revive a thread that old...