Seth Meyers Named Host Of NBC

lzZC0.png

NBC has completed its late-night revamp by naming Seth Meyers host of Late Night. He will succeed Jimmy Fallon who is taking over The Tonight Show next spring, replacing Jay Leno. Lorne Michaels will executive produce Late Night with Seth Meyers, and Michael Shoemaker will remain with the franchise as producer. Late Night with Seth Meyers will originate from 30 Rockefeller Plaza in New York which also houses Saturday Night Live and where The Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon also will be based.

?We think Seth is one of the brightest, most insightful comedy writers and performers of his generation,? NBC chairman Bob Greenblatt said. ?His years at SNL?s Weekend Update desk, not to mention being head writer of the show for many seasons, helped him hone a topical brand of comedy that is perfect for the Late Night franchise.? Meyers had been the frontrunner to succeed Fallon since NBC announced last month Fallon?s ascendance to The Tonight Show. His appointment means that both The Tonight Show and Late Night will be hosted by former SNL Weekend Update anchors. Additionally, it solidifies Michaels? status as NBC?s late-night king as he will executive produce The Tonight Show, Late Night and SNL.

?I only have to work for Lorne for five more years before I pay him back for the time I totaled his car,? Meyers quipped. ?12:30 on NBC has long been incredible real estate. I hope I can do it justice.? Meyers is the third host of Late Night, following David Letterman, Conan O?Brien and Fallon.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/seth-meyers-named-host-of-nbcs-late-night-lorne-michaels-to-executive-produce/

Seth Meyers talks about his new 'Late Night' gig

Seth Meyers, who currently serves as the anchor of NBC's 'Saturday Night Live' Weekend Update, will be leaving that role to take over a new role - that of host of the network's 'Late Night' program after Jimmy Fallon slides over from that to replace Jay Leno as host of 'The Tonight Show'.

This morning Meyers went on 'The Today Show' and praised Fallon for making this move possible.

"I think I owe a debt of gratitude to Jimmy for having gone from having gone from Update to Late Night and shown that it's a nice progression," Meyers said. "So I'm very happy to be doing it. But, I mean, I think if you sit at that Update desk, you learn how to talk about topical stories and certainly with the guests, you learn to talk to crazy people. Although, if you do late night there are real crazy people as opposed to Bill Hader pretending to be one."

While his days at 'SNL' are numbered, this weekend's season finale will not be his farewell.

"I'm nowhere near emotionally ready for Saturday to be my last show -- I wouldn't be able to handle that," he added, saying that he will stick with the program through the fall at least.