Samsung wants to offer 5G in 2020, speeds of 1Gbps reached in tests

Samsung wants to offer 5G in 2020, speeds of 1Gbps reached in tests

Samsung has successfully developed the beginnings of its 5G network technology, eventually slated to outpace the 4G networks we've come to know in recent years. According to Yonhap News Agency, Samsung has publicly stated that it wants to make 5G available to the masses by the year 2020.

Others have already given 5G testing, but Samsung seems to be making some serious progress in this space. The mobile phone giant is said to have reached speeds of 1Gbps in testing, with the overall potential of 10Gbps as the technology advances. To compare, the Google Fiber internet service everyone has been drooling about is 1Gbps. Could you imagine that streaming through your phone?

The faster data speeds would become most notable when making downloads, allowing you to download movies, apps, and other forms of media in the blink of an eye. Currently, the 4G network that has become a wide standard across the US and has begun rolling out to the UK sits at roughly 75 megabits per second.

Of course, it will be up to more companies than just Samsung. Luckily, the China and the European Union have begun injecting money for research, which will eventually lead to a wide rollout down the road.

Source

Wait, 4G is capable of 75Mb? :s What the hell is the UK doing.

Wish Internet bandwidth was as cheap over here as it is in other countries.

It's great that speeds are getting better but I'd rather see improvements in battery life. 4G LTE is fast but it also drains your battery very quickly because it's only used for data. A non-4G LTE connection is required for incoming/outgoing calls and text messages which means two connections need to be maintained. It'll be at least another year before US carriers launch voice over LTE (VoLTE).

I have a 4G phone because it was the same price as the 3G version (future proofing) but i don't have 4g as of yet

but being honest i get around 15/16meg on 3G in my area so i don't really see the need to upgrade and pay the extra for 4G

It's great that speeds are getting better but I'd rather see improvements in battery life. 4G LTE is fast but it also drains your battery very quickly because it's only used for data.

I would hope that by 2020, battery life will be greatly improved.

Source

Wait, 4G is capable of 75Mb? :s What the hell is the UK doing.

Not sure what this news article is going on about, but the actual 4G spec is LTE-Advanced which tops out a 1Gbps already. No carrier has yet deployed LTE-Advanced though as regular LTE tops out at around 300Mbps depending on configuration. The problem isn't the radio technology the problem is the backhaul. You don't see people maxing out HSDPA+ or LTE because the towers aren't pumping that much bandwidth to the users because they don't have the bandwidth coming into them.

So, whatever Samsung is coming up with it better be a lot faster than 1Gbps in 2020. As LTE-Advanced is offering that option to carriers now on a technology stack they already have deployed.

4G mobile speeds are decent enough now.

The real advancement needs to be made in technolgies to cover wider areas. This would make network rollouts much faster and cheaper, and would thus cut costs on data usage.

Higher speeds won't do us a darn bit of good unless we have more bandwidth usage. I have only 200 MB on AT&T monthly. That doesn't go very far.