[Blue] Things we'd like to see in Win8 Blue

win8

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 MrChris2000

MrChris2000

Neowinian

Posted 13 May 2013 - 14:51

So I've been using a Lenovo Helix for the past few days; it's been my first experience of using Win 8 on a tablet, I normally use it on 2 desktop machines.

Being on a tablet though I'm sticking more to Modern apps (unless I'm in laptop mode - love me some convertible). But having had an iPad for content consumption prior there are some things that I think are 'obvious' missing from the tablet experience and I'm curious where others have found gaps.

The biggies for me are:
-- 'Hot standby' Power mode - a mode akin to the iPad where I can turn off the screen (and touch screen), but still have media playing. On the Helix (and I assume Surface?), hitting the power button puts the machine into Standby which cuts the media out.
-- Context aware keyboards - at the moment there are a range of keyboard types available, but they 'hide' common keys. On the iPad if I was entering data in a web form it would detect and add an '@' symbol to the keyboard layout, this is on a second part of the keyboard in Win 8.
-- Auto keyboard - if I put the cursor in a text box anywhere on screen (and I don't have the keyboard connected to the tablet), I expect the OS to just pop up the touch keyboard, not make me hunt for it (this may just affect desktop apps).
-- Keyboard on the start screen - maybe I'm too used to Win8 on a desktop, but 'Start' + 'Type' to find an app is so easy, but I can't do this on a tablet?? Put a keyboard option in the Start Screen app bar and let me use that if I want to...?

A lot more keyboard things there than I thought, but on the whole I like Win8 on a tablet, I just find some things easier on a desktop (which judging from other comments puts me in a very small minority :) ).

So if Microsoft could fix some small annoyances in Win8 for you, what would they be?

#2 nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13

NeKroSoft inc.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 23:40

a start menu
start button
removal of metro

#3 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 14 May 2013 - 23:45

a start menu
start button
removal of metro

Give it a rest!

I agree hugely on context aware keyboards!!!

#4 ZakO

ZakO

Neowinian

Posted 14 May 2013 - 23:45

Proper interface scaling and ability to adjust the scaling per-screen. With laptops having high-resolution screens such as the rMBP (and others coming soon) this is essential.

#5 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 14 May 2013 - 23:47

a start menu
start button
removal of metro

Windows 8 already has a start menu, and a start button (not visible, but just move your mouse to bottom left and click) and metro doesn't exist, perhaps you mean Modern UI?

#6 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

Posted 14 May 2013 - 23:49

So I've been using a Lenovo Helix for the past few days; it's been my first experience of using Win 8 on a tablet, I normally use it on 2 desktop machines.

Being on a tablet though I'm sticking more to Modern apps (unless I'm in laptop mode - love me some convertible). But having had an iPad for content consumption prior there are some things that I think are 'obvious' missing from the tablet experience and I'm curious where others have found gaps.

The biggies for me are:
-- 'Hot standby' Power mode - a mode akin to the iPad where I can turn off the screen (and touch screen), but still have media playing. On the Helix (and I assume Surface?), hitting the power button puts the machine into Standby which cuts the media out.
-- Context aware keyboards - at the moment there are a range of keyboard types available, but they 'hide' common keys. On the iPad if I was entering data in a web form it would detect and add an '@' symbol to the keyboard layout, this is on a second part of the keyboard in Win 8.
-- Auto keyboard - if I put the cursor in a text box anywhere on screen (and I don't have the keyboard connected to the tablet), I expect the OS to just pop up the touch keyboard, not make me hunt for it (this may just affect desktop apps).
-- Keyboard on the start screen - maybe I'm too used to Win8 on a desktop, but 'Start' + 'Type' to find an app is so easy, but I can't do this on a tablet?? Put a keyboard option in the Start Screen app bar and let me use that if I want to...?

A lot more keyboard things there than I thought, but on the whole I like Win8 on a tablet, I just find some things easier on a desktop (which judging from other comments puts me in a very small minority :) ).

So if Microsoft could fix some small annoyances in Win8 for you, what would they be?

1 No idea about that one
2 Somebody posted an option the other day to include a full keyboard option as one of the keyboards. It was in a thread about tips for the surface if I remember correctly
3 Works perfectly fine with Metro apps, but like you say, not very well with desktop apps
4 Use the charms bar and search when you are on the start screen, it's only a swipe from the right hand side

I've been using Win8 on a Lenovo Yoga for the last few weeks and really like it, but you are right, there are some little annoyances that still need to be fixed, lets hope Win8.1 helps with it

a start menu
start button
removal of metro

Wow real mature, haven't we beaten this to dead yet?

#7 nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13

NeKroSoft inc.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 23:50

Windows 8 already has a start menu, and a start button (not visible, but just move your mouse to bottom left and click) and metro doesn't exist, perhaps you mean Modern UI?

its start screen, not a start menu, there is no button, and call **** by any name you want its still ****

#8 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

Posted 14 May 2013 - 23:52

call **** by any name you want its still ****

Or how about not trolling and thus not calling it anything!

#9 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 15 May 2013 - 00:04

its start screen, not a start menu, there is no button, and call **** by any name you want its still ****

the start screen is still a menu and has buttons to press/click
and there is a button in the bottom left corner, deny it all you want but that doesn't mean it's not there

and thus i use your own logic against you

#10 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 15 May 2013 - 00:05

Per-Computer metro settings themes etc for business branding.
Update default modern applications from WSUS
Automatically install updates for modern applications

#11 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 15 May 2013 - 00:23

Things I would like to see are
1. A standalone power button in the charms bar.
2. An icon in the task bar for the charms bar.
3. An ability to resize the start screen which would be nice for desktop users.
4. A return of the aero glass and classic theme (no reason why they cant)
5. A power button on the start screen thats just like in the old start menu.
6. Background photo option for the start screen.
7. More organization features for the start screen.
8. The ability to put modern apps in a window
9. Modern UI widgets for the desktop such as weather to make use of the apps on the desktop

Its funny people don't complain that when you press ALT+CTRL+Delete in Vista, 7 and 8, it takes you to a security screen instead of the task manager.

#12 Ian William

Ian William

Where do you want to go today?

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:36

Don't get technical. It has almost all of the features the Start menu had (unfortunately some nice ones are absent, but I'm sure this will be fixed soon enough).

And the hot corner serves the same purpose as the button, so you can't really (fairly) criticize it. Also, it being **** is just your opinion.

#13 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:50

metro doesn't exist, perhaps you mean Modern UI?

If Metro doesn't exist, then Modern UI doesn't, either.

"Metro" was only a codename that would be phased out prior to Windows 8's release.[78] Following these reports, the terms "Modern UI-style apps",[79] "Windows 8-style apps"[80] and "Windows Store apps" began to be used by various Microsoft documents and material to refer to the new apps. In an interview on September 12, 2012, Soma Somasegar (vice president of Microsoft's development software division) confirmed that "Windows Store apps" would be the official term for the appsx

Currently, the term "Microsoft design language" is used on MSDN documentation when referring to the design language (since September 2012).[21][22][23][24] Furthermore, in Microsoft's Build 2012 developer conference, the company also uses the "Microsoft design language" name.[25][26]

#14 Yogurth

Yogurth

Neowinian

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:02

A choice between full Desktop(including Start menu and Start button) and Tablet environment.
Choice to turn off Metro completely when using Desktop environment.
Ability to run Metro apps in windowed mode.
Ability to close metro apps with one click.

#15 nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13

NeKroSoft inc.

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:56

A choice between full Desktop(including Start menu and Start button) and Tablet environment.
Choice to turn off Metro completely when using Desktop environment.
Ability to run Metro apps in windowed mode.
Ability to close metro apps with one click.

amen