9 replies to this topic

#1 vetJohn Callaham

John Callaham

Neowinian

• 666 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 15:46

BioWare team members talk about possible Mass Effect spin-offs
by John Callaham

Mass Effect 3, which was released in 2012, is the end of a game trilogy that centered on the Commander Shepard character. However, there are plenty of supporting characters in the sci-fi RPG franchise that could star in possible future spinoffs.

OSM posted up quotes from a number of team members at developer BioWare where they speculate on which characters they would like to see more of in upcoming Mass Effect games. Casey Hudson, the executive producer of the entire franchise, says he would like to see Garrus in a future game, saying, "It'd be cool to do something completely unrelated to the larger storyline, like a story about a private investigator on the Citadel. Or maybe something detailing Garrus' time in C-Sec."

Designer Dusty Everman would also love to see Garrus get the spotlight, saying, "While being one of Shepard's most loyal friends, Garrus has also had some of the most driven personal goals. He's a hero in his own right, as Archangel and beyond." Lead writer Mac Walters has several spin-off ideas, saying, "Aria. The Illusive Man. Kai Leng. Any henchman. The list goes on. I think most of them could have successful spin-offs of their own in some fashion."

While BioWare and publisher Electronic Arts have said they do have plans for future Mass Effect games, the next installment in the franchise has yet to be officially announced.

Source: OXM | Image via EA

#2 macrosslover

macrosslover

Muad’Dib

• 3,069 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 20:21

I'd be interested in an Illusive Man game on how he formed Cerebus and how he became indoctrinated.

#3 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 4,262 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 13 May 2013 - 20:27

Definitely sign me up for something with Garrus.. probably my favorite character out of all three games. Needs to have some gameplay on Palavan too, just because. As long as there's no minigames involving calibrations.

I'd be interested in an Illusive Man game on how he formed Cerebus and how he became indoctrinated.

I could get interested in that.. has some good story potential.

#4 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• 6,025 posts
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 13 May 2013 - 22:55

Definitely sign me up for something with Garrus.. probably my favorite character out of all three games. Needs to have some gameplay on Palavan too, just because. As long as there's no minigames involving calibrations.

I think a full game as Garrus might be a bit average. He's a great character, my favourite in the series (alongside my bro Wrex), but I think a lot of his story was covered in the originals (except maybe for the Archangel story).

I'd be up for a spin-off with say, Thane or Javik. People who were left out of the story somewhat, and had spent most of their time outside of the main characters. Zaeed would be cool too.

It'd also be cool to see if they could pull off a Battlefront style game too, going over things like the first contact war and the Geth rebellion.

#5 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 8,947 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 13 May 2013 - 23:00

I want a prequel trilogy called Mass Cause.

#6 Coolicer

Coolicer

Comrad General

• 319 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920 Black

Posted 13 May 2013 - 23:12

If I were a BioWare writer, I'd pitch a First Contact War prequel. Gives them a chance to do something different from the main Mass Effect Trilogy.

A Garrius game would be horrible. Although I might be one of the few that didn't really like him.

#7 qdave

qdave

Neowinian Senior

• 16,159 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:29

I would much prefer something epic over some sideline game spin-off.

If that is a way to be liara as a shadow broker or her previous encounters with things in dig sites etc.
Or even something in the future...lone reaper attack? :D

#8 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,887 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:14

Liara was my favourite character but I would also like to see a backstory on Javik about the Prothean war with the Reapers and his involvement in it

#9 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Random Oracle

• 5,603 posts
  • Phone: SQNY D5503

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:47

I want a prequel trilogy called Mass Cause.

As funny it may be (and I can't help but click Like), in a broader sense it would include discovery of ruins on Mars, the Charon Relay, space magic biotics, with intentional eezo explosion conspiracy by future Enron, and, of course, the First Contact War just when UNSC humanity finally got it somewhat close to right. The Cause of it all going down the crapper.

#10 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:23

No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No.

I do NOT wan't a spinoff set in the same universe where characters could potentially have cameos, I've put 300+ hours into that universe over three games and I certainly do not want to be reminded of how awesome the story/universe was which will only serve to remind me of how much the ending hurt me.

Mass Effect is probably one of the only games that had me emotionally invested in my 25+ years of playing videogames, as sad as it makes me seem I have come to terms with the ending after the Extended Cut/Leviathan/Citadel DLCs made it just about bearable.

Please don't open the wound again.