20 posts in this topic

Posted

No Home for Facebook at AT&T: HTC First to be discontinued

The HTC First, or

Posted

Hm... The update is a bit confusing. So does that mean it has or has not been discontinued?

Honestly, I really don't see the point of Facebook Home. Why would you want a Phone OS that was linked to a single social network when you could get a Windows Phone for instance that could link to all of the major ones or another OS entirely that just had an app... I don't see the benefit honestly.

Posted

I honestly don't think the HTC First is going to go anywhere and if the above is true I'm not surprised. If HTC can't do anything with the HTC One then they're pretty much done for IMO.

Posted

That didn't take long.

Posted

Who didn't see this coming?

Posted

Figure this would of happen to WinRT first :laugh: Poor HTC...never catch a break. lol

Posted

All things considered, the First is still a great piece of hardware running near-stock Android when Facebook Home is disabled. If the price bottoms out, I could see myself picking one up.

Posted

The "First" itself is a nice little backup phone if you need one. Good mid-range phone too... just disable Home and use stock android and you'll be golden!

I was thinking about getting one to replace my current backup, GT-I9100 (Samsung Galaxy S2). - Maybe be able to find them even cheaper now :p

Posted

Honestly, I really don't see the point of Facebook Home.

Nor does anyone else it seems.

Posted

The "First" itself is a nice little backup phone if you need one. Good mid-range phone too... just disable Home and use stock android and you'll be golden!

I was thinking about getting one to replace my current backup, GT-I9100 (Samsung Galaxy S2). - Maybe be able to find them even cheaper now :p

Backup phone? Is that something that Android users need? :p

3 people like this

Posted

Do WP or iOS users have magical phones that can't break when dropped?

Posted

Do WP or iOS users have magical phones that can't break when dropped?

malware, freezing, bricking,etc...

Posted

HTC's downfall was Facebook. Facebook should just be left as an addon/app and not rolled out with a phone. HTC makes good hardware, but bad decisions.

Malware...never ran in to anyone who had malware on an android...freezing only seen this caused by what people do to their phones...bricking, not really an issue anymore.

Not saying these are not issues for some...but something I have never come acrossed personally.

I always keep my last phone as a backup. I dont just go buy one for a backup tho. No need.

Posted

Put HTC and Facebook together on the same phone and you have a phone that screams don't buy me.

Posted

I said dropping. Do you have trouble reading?

Posted

I said dropping. Do you have trouble reading?

im listing other reasons why youd need a backup, whereas you assumed he meant dropping the device. smh

Posted

im listing other reasons why youd need a backup, whereas you assumed he meant dropping the device. smh

Funny that someone lists a backup phone for malware, and yet is a huge Windows user. Do you carry around a Mac for your malware issues?

Nobody would carry a backup phone for malware reasons.

Also, next time, quote who are you talking about. :rolleyes:

Posted

at my store we sold 0 none .... sadly remove the home crap and its a pretty good cheap phone

1 person likes this

Posted

My store has sold two since launch. The Home interface is awful but it's quite a nice little phone with it disabled.

Posted

Funny guy :/ - I generally take one of my backup phones to the beach or on a boat in the event it gets stolen or wet it's not a total loss.

At the bar and drop your nice phone and it's all smashed, you use your backup phone till you get a replacement or a new one.

I figured everyone had a beater phone lol... My spare backup phone is a Motorola C139 - It can't even do MMS! It says Cingular on it. That shows you how old it is but has saved me few times, most recently during Hurricane Sandy when we lost power for like 8 days. Battery backups don't last that long so I fired it up and was good for another 12hrs when mostly everyone else's smartphones were dead.

I have an 10,000mAh external portable battery charger that I used 3-4 times before it died as well so that's why I had to pick up the C139.

1 person likes this