26 posts in this topic

Posted

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...tax-france.html

France considering smartphone, tablet tax to fund cultural content

CBC News | Posted: May 13, 2013 3:39 PM ET | Last Updated: May 13, 2013 4:16 PM ET

hi-tabletsrtr37zxz-8col.jpg

France is considering imposing a new culture tax on any device that connects to the internet. Most people use these devices to access a variety of cultural products, most of which they consume for free, so it's not unreasonable to ask that a portion of the profits from the sale of these devices goes toward supporting creators of those products, concludes the report that proposed the new tax. (Vincent Kessler/Reuters)

France is considering imposing a tax on smartphones, tablets and other devices used to access the internet and using the revenue to fund the creation of French cultural content.

The proposal for the tax was made in a report submitted to the country's president, Fran

Posted

Literally laughed out loud.

1 person likes this

Posted

Mandatory registered bidirectional packet counters will (have to) be installed in every internets capable device. At the end of tax year imported packets will be counted and for complete transmissions not originating from EU economic zone VAT of 19.6% will be applied according to their declared value (disabled persons qualify for reduced rate; presenting valid proof of disability is required). If total value of a single transmission exceeds

Posted

How about have the people actually work, and tax their paychecks .... ?

1 person likes this

Posted

How about **** off?

Posted

Yea, tax people/business more...after all, they can all afford to pay more...

Posted

How about have the people actually work, and tax their paychecks .... ?

Personally I would lower the taxes on paychecks, and increase sales tax instead. People that don't consume too much shouldn't get penalized.

Of course, things like milk, bread etc .. would stay at 0% tax

1 person likes this

Posted

I think this is one of the dumbest ideas that I've ever heard.

Posted

What? not sure how in France, but in US, we already pay out taxes for the internet service. Why should we pay another tax for using it? Anyway the French is out of their mind.

Posted

It looks like a severe case of brainfarting.

Posted

Oh what will the French think of next!

Posted

Tax them more! If it could get rid of pre-chewed cultural "icons" like Justin Bieber, Nickelback or Nicky Minaj and help people who makes good music, I am all for it.

Posted

Oh what will the French think of next!

I tell you, it's a tax on the air we breath next. ;)

1 person likes this

Posted

The money raised from the tax would go into a fund to support creative industries, including music, film, video games and photography, Filippetti said, stressing that these industries are significant job creators

i bet Hollywood mafia would loves this too.

Posted

I think this is one of the dumbest ideas that I've ever heard.

You have to consider where it is coming from.

Posted

Not surprised, when something can't compete on an open market the French seem to see it as the utmost importance to crush it out - whether it is content, the use of English words as part of every day speaking in France etc. Basically it is an on going 'screw you' to the anglophone world done under the rubric of 'cultural preservation'. It has all the cringe worthiness of entertainment quotas that exist in Australia - because god knows if it weren't for the quotas a good portion of the prime time content in Australia would never get on the television in the first place (heck, even the ABC and SBS would reject such crap).

Posted

I tell you, it's a tax on the air we breath next. ;)

This is why sites need to adopt a "dislike" button lol

Posted

What? not sure how in France, but in US, we already pay out taxes for the internet service. Why should we pay another tax for using it? Anyway the French is out of their mind.

where do we pay taxes for internet services? last I heard they never repealed the law that prohibited taxing internet services...

I've had the internet since 1996 and have never once paid tax on it, even my last months bill does not have a sales tax on the internet service

Posted

This is why sites need to adopt a "dislike" button lol

Oh well, can't please everyone. :D

Posted

France's minister of culture and communications, Aur

Posted

There is one thing you guys do not factor in: the price of services. I'm a Frenchman living in the USA since 2007 (love it), so I know both worlds. I was amazed at how expensive services are in the US. The French will spend more with the initial device purchase, but usually less with the services that go with it.

In comparison, ISPs charge a lot less than here: http://adsl.sfr.fr/tarifs-conditions-neufbox/forfaits-et-options/

From my own experience, stuff is usually cheaper here. Electronics, clothes... Services are cheaper in France. For example, I paid

Posted

I'm all for it if by cultural content they mean independent content generators.

Posted

I'm all for it if by cultural content they mean independent content generators.

by cultural content France means putting laws that you have to say all Burgundy comes from Burgundy France because we said so period! now pay us money so we can protect this culture!

Posted

In a lot of European countries, really large cash stipends are given to artists selected by the state,

In Denmark, for instance, 275 artists are granted an annual stipend of

Posted

This is an insult. We already pay more than we should. Wouldn't it be better to take the tax from the existing price of items instead of adding, yet another stupid tax? This only effects the little guy, as the big guy won't see any difference. They need to tax the rich and give the little guy a big break to even things out.