• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• 2,411 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 'Space Grey' (64GB)

Posted 14 May 2013 - 13:59

Not surprised, when something can't compete on an open market the French seem to see it as the utmost importance to crush it out - whether it is content, the use of English words as part of every day speaking in France etc. Basically it is an on going 'screw you' to the anglophone world done under the rubric of 'cultural preservation'. It has all the cringe worthiness of entertainment quotas that exist in Australia - because god knows if it weren't for the quotas a good portion of the prime time content in Australia would never get on the television in the first place (heck, even the ABC and SBS would reject such crap).

#17 The Laughing Man

The Laughing Man

Neowinian Senior

• 2,964 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 15:42

I tell you, it's a tax on the air we breath next. ;)

This is why sites need to adopt a "dislike" button lol

#18 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,786 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 15:45

What? not sure how in France, but in US, we already pay out taxes for the internet service. Why should we pay another tax for using it? Anyway the French is out of their mind.

where do we pay taxes for internet services? last I heard they never repealed the law that prohibited taxing internet services...

I've had the internet since 1996 and have never once paid tax on it, even my last months bill does not have a sales tax on the internet service

#19 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 16:54

This is why sites need to adopt a "dislike" button lol

Oh well, can't please everyone. :D

#20 HSoft

HSoft

Neowinian Senior

• 3,929 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 17:02

France's minister of culture and communications, Aurélie Filippetti, endorsed the tax, saying the "contribution" device manufacturers would be making is "extremely small."

Had to laugh at this as it shows this person doesn't live in the real world.
The manufacturers won't be making any "contributions", they'll pass the increase onto the consumer.

#21 menifred

menifred

Conquérant de la lumière

• 248 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 1020 Black (8.10.14147.180)

Posted 14 May 2013 - 17:25

There is one thing you guys do not factor in: the price of services. I'm a Frenchman living in the USA since 2007 (love it), so I know both worlds. I was amazed at how expensive services are in the US. The French will spend more with the initial device purchase, but usually less with the services that go with it.

In comparison, ISPs charge a lot less than here: http://adsl.sfr.fr/t...its-et-options/

From my own experience, stuff is usually cheaper here. Electronics, clothes... Services are cheaper in France. For example, I paid €37 tuition for one year...

Now about the sales tax, it's already 19.6% (mainland France)...

#22 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• 20,983 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 (very cheap second hand)

Posted 14 May 2013 - 17:28

I'm all for it if by cultural content they mean independent content generators.

#23 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,786 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 17:45

I'm all for it if by cultural content they mean independent content generators.

by cultural content France means putting laws that you have to say all Burgundy comes from Burgundy France because we said so period! now pay us money so we can protect this culture!

#24 OP brianshapiro

brianshapiro

Neowinian Senior

• 2,942 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 18:03

In a lot of European countries, really large cash stipends are given to artists selected by the state,

In Denmark, for instance, 275 artists are granted an annual stipend of ­between 15,000 and 149,000 Danish krone (£1,750 to £17,000) every year for the rest of their lives. In France, public funds are awarded through regional bodies not unlike our arts councils, ­except that the range of awards is much greater: artists in the Ile-de-France ­region, which includes Paris, can, for instance, claim up to ¤7,500 (£6,545) specifically to equip their studios.

http://www.guardian....rtists-day-jobs

The same thing was true in Sweden as it was in Denmark, but they recently ended the practice in favor of giving the money to municipalities, which then distribute it to whomever they think should get the money.

The Swedish government plans to end the practice of giving a select group of Swedish artists a lifetime income guarantee ... The income guarantee is administered by The Swedish Arts Grants Committee (Konstnärsnämnden) and amounted to 17 million kronor in 2009, which will now be re-allocated as five and ten year scholarships. Recipients currently enjoy a guaranteed 18,000 kronor ($2,500) per month.

http://www.thelocal.se/25048/20100217/

Personally, I don't support this system, which is a type of welfare system for artists. I do, however, support funding local museums, public funding to universities which have galleries, and having state commissioned art for public buildings and murals and monuments. There are public means to help the arts that I think are reasonable, and others that aren't.

#25 soldier1st

soldier1st

Software Tester/Tech/Linux Lover

• 5,305 posts
  • Phone: HTC Incredible S

Posted 14 May 2013 - 18:29

This is an insult. We already pay more than we should. Wouldn't it be better to take the tax from the existing price of items instead of adding, yet another stupid tax? This only effects the little guy, as the big guy won't see any difference. They need to tax the rich and give the little guy a big break to even things out.

#26 thealexweb

thealexweb

Neowinian Senior

• 7,313 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 20:52

This is an insult. We already pay more than we should. Wouldn't it be better to take the tax from the existing price of items instead of adding, yet another stupid tax? This only effects the little guy, as the big guy won't see any difference. They need to tax the rich and give the little guy a big break to even things out.

You clearly haven't heard what the French government has been up to. They've been hitting the rich in every way they can and its having the expected affects. Investment down, tax revenues flat and businessmen running for the door.