Photo

Some days you shouldn't watch local news....

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,090 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 22:49

All local -

Drawbridge operator dropped the bridge on a freighter. Both heavily damaged. Drunk.

Roads closed by city hall for city firefighter funeral (trapped in building collapse - smoke inhalation.) Wife + 13 month old daughter, just on the job a few months.

Immediately after that, a man walks into city hall making a bomb threat. Clerk sees device around his body. PD robot convinces him to surrender and disrobe to examine the device, but not before the entire area is covered wall to wall with SWAT & snipers, Schools are locked down for hours. Ended with no booms.

Saudi Arabian man arrested at Metro Airport for lying about his baggage, which contained - a pressure cooker. He also said you can't get them here.

Posted Image

#2 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:02

I know. I try my best not to listen to the news anymore unless a major story is breaking. It's too depressing.

#3 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 18,965 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:23

I dont watch the news at all. I read it online. That way I choose to see/read what I want. Just to much depressing crap on the news and it seems that its all bad news.

#4 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• 8,411 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:29

That's why I only get my news from Neowin, IMDB and GiantBomb.

#5 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

• 1,813 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:30

I dont watch the news at all. I read it online. That way I choose to see/read what I want. Just to much depressing crap on the news and it seems that its all bad news.

That's because, statistically, you're more likely to watch the news if it's bad, because then it's something you might "need to know". Feel good stories always come at the end for a reason. And if you watch more, the station sells more ads and makes more money.

Stories are 30 seconds to a minute because you're less likely to be able to recall specifics if they go over it really fast. If you can't recall specifics, but just have a feeling of doom, that's also better for ad views.

#6 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,833 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:32

Yep, I don't watch the News. I get a lot of slack from my Wife from it yet somehow I still manage to stay current with the issues that truly matter. It's amazing /s

The world is depressing enough without needing to know all the small details on how much more depressing it can be. I think it'd do people a lot of good to not be SO informed all the time.

#7 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• 8,194 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:39

I always watch the evening news just to see how much stupidity there is in the world! It's really amazing what the world is coming to anymore, and my parents thought my generation was f***ed up!!

Almost glad I'll be dead before the next generation takes over!!

#8 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 14:06

I think it'd do people a lot of good to not be SO informed all the time.

There must be a lot of happy people out there because a lot of them sure seemed uninformed to me. :D

#9 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,327 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:14

Does this honestly surprise you given the fact that you live in or near Detroit?