BBM is going cross-platform

Shame their so late to the party...if they'd done this before whatsapp came out they could have made a big difference to the market and possibly got more people over to BB, as it stands they're copying in a desperate attempt to get people back.

Only reason that it stands any chance of success its because Whatsapp has gone to the new subscription model...but I really doubt that's enough to make anyone switch...

That's good news. I used to have a blackberry for several years and BBM was so amazing to use. I still have friends that use blackberry so it will be nice to speak with them using BBM.

I just wish they would have made this few years ago.

Good news for users, bad news for blackberry themselves.

almost the 100% of non-corporate users that I know use blackberry just for the BBM

Good news for users, bad news for blackberry themselves.

almost the 100% of non-corporate users that I know use blackberry just for the BBM

Yeah seems like a bad option for them, take the one thing that keeps your users with your hardware/service and make it work on competing platforms

Yeah seems like a bad option for them, take the one thing that keeps your users with your hardware/service and make it work on competing platforms

Unless this is part of completely ditching BBX ? eg. if BBM does well, they will adopt android as their OS?

Is BBM more secure than Whatsapp?

Yup, you can chose accept or decline whether a person adds you or not, whereas whatsapp adds he/she automatically as long as you are in their phone book.

Yup, you can chose accept or decline whether a person adds you or not, whereas whatsapp adds he/she automatically as long as you are in their phone book.

What I meant was do they use any encryption?

What I meant was do they use any encryption?

Both bbm and whatsapp messages are encrypted, whatsapp got a lot a beef about 2 years ago because they didn't back then.

AFAIK BBM uses some sort of device ID to do something with the messages (which is why it only worked on BB devices) whereas whatsapp doesn't use any form of encryption because it's just a compressed jabber protocol, they might have switched to using SSL jabber but it's still just jabber over SSL really.

AFAIK BBM uses some sort of device ID to do something with the messages (which is why it only worked on BB devices) whereas whatsapp doesn't use any form of encryption because it's just a compressed jabber protocol, they might have switched to using SSL jabber but it's still just jabber over SSL really.

"Until August 2012, messages were sent in unencrypted plain-text format, making the system vulnerable to session hijacking.[23] As of August 15, 2012, the WhatsApp Support Staff claims messages are encrypted in the "latest version" of the WhatsApp software for iOS and Android (not including BlackBerry, Windows Phone and Symbian), without specifying the implemented cryptographic method.[24]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WhatsApp#Security

Pretty much confirming what you're saying.