Microsoft Reads Your Skype Messages

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 14 May 2013 - 17:29

"A Microsoft server accesses URLs sent in Skype chat messages, even if they are HTTPS URLs and contain account information. A reader of Heise publications notified Heise Security (link to German website, Google translation). They replicated the observation by sending links via Skype, including one to a private file storage account, and found that these URLs are shortly after accessed from a Microsoft IP address. When confronted, Microsoft claimed that this is part of an effort to detect and filter spam and phishing URLs."

http://yro.slashdot....e-chat-messages

#2 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 14 May 2013 - 17:32

You mean like they have done for years in WLM.. if you click a link it brings you to a windows live site asking you for permissions before proceeding.

#3 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

Posted 14 May 2013 - 17:47

I'm talking from history when I say this but, there have been nefarious groups, not necessarily within America but countries in general who abuse otherwise vague issues such as this. most recently the DOJ seized Associate press communications without their knowledge. That is awful.

http://www.pcmag.com...,2418918,00.asp

not exactly the same I know but, if there's a chance of abuse, someone will do it.

#4 Jonathan Appleseed

Jonathan Appleseed

Neowinian

Posted 14 May 2013 - 17:58

Not surprise really.

#5 ambiance

ambiance

Identity Thief

Posted 14 May 2013 - 18:30

But Microsoft told us they care about our privacy!

#6 soldier1st

soldier1st

Software Tester/Tech/Linux Lover

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Incredible S

Posted 14 May 2013 - 18:32

It's sad they resort to this low end behavior.

But Microsoft told us they care about our privacy!

They say that to get you to use there services, so they can vendor type lock you.

#7 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 14 May 2013 - 19:45

Of course!

Microsoft reads your Skype links, Google already knew the link you sent because you searched for it before you sent it, and Facebook already knew because it knows you better than you know yourself and knew what you were going to talk to your friend about.

As it has ALWAYS been, you have NO privacy online. You are only as private as the details you choose not to share with the web.

#8 DaveLegg

DaveLegg

Coderator at heart

• Tech Issues Solved: 22

Posted 14 May 2013 - 19:47

Facebook loads any links sent in private messages too, in order to generate the page preview.

#9 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

Posted 14 May 2013 - 19:50

Looks like the only way to send a truly private message and ensure it isn't intercepted is writing it on a piece of paper in a private room, then handing them the paper and making sure they only open it to read it in another private room.

Convenience always comes at a price, I guess.

#10 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 14 May 2013 - 19:53

Same process that happens when MS and Google scans/detects spam and malicious content in emails and the same/similar process Google uses for targeting ads. But in Google's case, they are bad because they are being accused of stealing your data.

Tip...want to keep your info secure? Take your own measures to do so and not trust anyone else to do so.

#11 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 14 May 2013 - 19:55

Looks like the only way to send a truly private message and ensure it isn't intercepted is writing it on a piece of paper in a private room, then handing them the paper and making sure they only open it to read it in another private room.

Convenience always comes at a price, I guess.

there are those "link stoppers" can't recall the websites names, but it's basically short urls, to protect rapidshare, zhare, mega etc.

#12 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 May 2013 - 20:24

I feel like I've been Scroogled.

#13 funkydude

funkydude

Neowinian

Posted 14 May 2013 - 20:30

You've gotta be pretty dumb to think there's an actual PERSON clicking and reading these links. As previously said this is done automatically as part of the SmartScreen screening process which is integrated into many MS services.

#14 MeowPurr

MeowPurr

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:12

Good. I hope they read my Skype chat history so they'll take note of how much I love them, and hopefully hire me. :D

#15 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:23

in the name of fighting spam, im alright with that. in reading my emails or messages to serve me ads? **** off, whoever that may be.