Microsoft Reads Your Skype Messages

"A Microsoft server accesses URLs sent in Skype chat messages, even if they are HTTPS URLs and contain account information. A reader of Heise publications notified Heise Security (link to German website, Google translation). They replicated the observation by sending links via Skype, including one to a private file storage account, and found that these URLs are shortly after accessed from a Microsoft IP address. When confronted, Microsoft claimed that this is part of an effort to detect and filter spam and phishing URLs."

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/13/05/14/1516247/microsoft-reads-your-skype-chat-messages

You mean like they have done for years in WLM.. if you click a link it brings you to a windows live site asking you for permissions before proceeding.

I'm talking from history when I say this but, there have been nefarious groups, not necessarily within America but countries in general who abuse otherwise vague issues such as this. most recently the DOJ seized Associate press communications without their knowledge. That is awful.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2418918,00.asp

not exactly the same I know but, if there's a chance of abuse, someone will do it.

It's sad they resort to this low end behavior.

But Microsoft told us they care about our privacy!

They say that to get you to use there services, so they can vendor type lock you.

Of course!

Microsoft reads your Skype links, Google already knew the link you sent because you searched for it before you sent it, and Facebook already knew because it knows you better than you know yourself and knew what you were going to talk to your friend about.

As it has ALWAYS been, you have NO privacy online. You are only as private as the details you choose not to share with the web.

• Like 2

Looks like the only way to send a truly private message and ensure it isn't intercepted is writing it on a piece of paper in a private room, then handing them the paper and making sure they only open it to read it in another private room.

Convenience always comes at a price, I guess.

• Like 2

Same process that happens when MS and Google scans/detects spam and malicious content in emails and the same/similar process Google uses for targeting ads. But in Google's case, they are bad because they are being accused of stealing your data.

Tip...want to keep your info secure? Take your own measures to do so and not trust anyone else to do so.

Looks like the only way to send a truly private message and ensure it isn't intercepted is writing it on a piece of paper in a private room, then handing them the paper and making sure they only open it to read it in another private room.

there are those "link stoppers" can't recall the websites names, but it's basically short urls, to protect rapidshare, zhare, mega etc.

You've gotta be pretty dumb to think there's an actual PERSON clicking and reading these links. As previously said this is done automatically as part of the SmartScreen screening process which is integrated into many MS services.

Good. I hope they read my Skype chat history so they'll take note of how much I love them, and hopefully hire me. :D

I think we're really exaggerating on this privacy issue. I mean, can't we all just be thankful for consistent personalization and protection. It's better from a certified company than random users on the virtual block to access your content. They do such things to ensure further advancement in our personal needs and unwanted habits from the content given to us.

Or use public key exchange and swap the keys via secure means (Like meeting in person and swapping thumb drives, then keeping them secret)