• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 vetJohn Callaham

John Callaham

Neowinian

Posted 14 May 2013 - 22:44

Rift MMO to turn to free-to-play game June 12th
by John Callaham

More are more massively multiplayer games have been switching from a monthly subscription business model to a free-to-play model. Today, Developer Trion Worlds confirmed that its two year told fantasy MMO title Rift would go to the free-to-play route starting June 12th.

In a post on the game's official website, Bill Fisher, the creative director for Rift, noted that more MMO games have either changed to a free-to-play model or have launched with free-to-play as its main option. He added:

These changes have brought more freedom, choice, and flexibility to the player – the kind of changes we stand for. Innovation and iteration have always been a key to our success. RIFT is a living, breathing entity, and it will continue to evolve and change for years to come.

Players of the game still have the option to pay a monthly fee which will offer them more content than the free-to-play mode for Rift.

While most massively multiplayer games have now adopted the free-to-play model, one big holdout is Blizzard's World of Warcraft. However, Blizzard admitted last week that its subscription base is now shrinking after nearly 10 years and it may just a matter of time before World of Warcraft offers a free-to-play option.

Source: Trion Worlds | Image via Trion Worlds

#2 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 14 May 2013 - 22:51

not surprised. the way of subscription is a dying breed for MMOs.

WOW is pretty much the only one that can continue to pull it off due to it's already humungous player base, and even that's shrinking because people are getting tired of subscriptions

#3 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 14 May 2013 - 22:57

Maybe I'll start playing again. I used to enjoy the game in college, but never enough to pick a subscription over a good meal.

#4 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 May 2013 - 00:43

Maybe I'll give it a shot again. I had a maxed rank thief/rogue character back when they were the worst class in the game and I'm interested to see how they've changed.

#5 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 15 May 2013 - 00:57

I enjoyed Rift, but didn't think I got "great" value out of it, I'll definitely revisit it now!

#6 sagum

sagum

Unicorn Doctor

• Phone: LG E900 & Lumia` 610/520/920

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:00

On a plus point, the developers did say that any items you buy with real money were cosmetic or under powered based on the in game items you earn from playing the game.
They also still have a subscription model for extras people might enjoy.

So hopefully its not going to be a pay to win.

I might join for a bit, already own the game but after WoW, other RPGs are not the same, and that's not to say WoW was the best. But at least ex-WoW players will feel at home with the control setup in rift... I can already see the WoW clone comments..

#7 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:23

On a plus point, the developers did say that any items you buy with real money were cosmetic or under powered based on the in game items you earn from playing the game.
They also still have a subscription model for extras people might enjoy.

So hopefully its not going to be a pay to win.

I might join for a bit, already own the game but after WoW, other RPGs are not the same, and that's not to say WoW was the best. But at least ex-WoW players will feel at home with the control setup in rift... I can already see the WoW clone comments..

I think the big problem is that the majority of people only have one good MMO in them... it sucks your life away and you love every minute of it but you don't forget how much time, effort, work, emotion (and more) went into your first MMO love and most people just aren't prepared to go through that again.

It's like that MMO was the most perfect girl, she had everything, it was awesome, but then she started to change, it was almost a chore to be with her to get that same level of awesome you once had... in the end she ripped your heart out and ruined every other girl for you forever.

or you know... it gets boring... or something. Also all your friends were in your last MMO and in the new one you just magically expected it to be just as fun without knowing that the real fun was the fact you had all these friends in the old MMO.

#8 DAOWAce

DAOWAce

Blind

Posted 15 May 2013 - 17:56

And almost no one gives a damn!

Auto-attack hotkey based MMOs are a dying breed; and good riddance, they are boring as sin.

FFXIV was changed to be auto-attack based because of its critical failure due to SE's incompetence. They showed even more incompetence when they started changing things to mimic FFXI. Now the re-release (ARR) is just a Final Fantasy themed WoW; it's disgusting. I will always be sad when I think of FFXIV. I enjoyed it for what it was and wished it was more polished, diverse and had more content. Shame what they did to it.

#9 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 May 2013 - 18:06

And almost no one gives a damn!

Pretty sure there are several people in this thread alone saying they might be interested in trying it again. So yeah..some people do give a damn.

Thanks for trying to speak for all of us though, I guess?

#10 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 15 May 2013 - 18:08

WOW is pretty much the only one that can continue to pull it off due to it's already humungous player base, and even that's shrinking because people are getting tired of subscriptions

I don't think I know anyone who still plays WoW. There was a time when I'd say about 70% of my friends were active WoW players.

Rift was OK. I played it for about 2 months and didn't get that far. I felt like it was really easy, though.

#11 ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf

Neowinian Fanatic

Posted 15 May 2013 - 20:02

Never played it until this announcement. I bought the expansion for it the other day dirt cheap at Best Buy. Been playing it last day or so, actually like it. Still getting used to all the different mechanics though.

Bonus about it going free: if you bought the base and/or expansion before the F2P conversion, you are locked in to the larger number of character slots and bag slots, even after the conversion. Nice little bonus for all those returning players.

#12 Patrick831

Patrick831

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 15 May 2013 - 21:37

I really enjoy Rift. I'll stick with my sub for the foreseeable future. :)

The free-to-play model at least doesn't take anything thing away from players.Which i think is pretty nice.

#13 Nagisan

Nagisan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 May 2013 - 23:33

I really enjoy Rift. I'll stick with my sub for the foreseeable future. :)

The free-to-play model at least doesn't take anything thing away from players.Which i think is pretty nice.

The way I see it there won't be a subscription option for the game after the 12th......it's either 100% free with fewer character slots and bag slots or you own the game and/or expansion and get extra character slots and bag spaces.

That being said, if you sign up on Raptr, install their desktop app and log some time in on the free version as it stands right now, you get both the game and expansion completely free, and 30 days of game time (which will give you playtime straight into when it goes free).

That's what I'm doing right now......I don't think I'll jump straight into Rift, but if I ever want to play it in the near future I'll have the extra features and access to the expansion souls.

I am burnt out on tab-target MMOs though, playing Neverwinter a ton lately and tab-targetting like traditional MMOs just feels so inferior it makes the gameplay really mundane.

#14 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

• Phone: Driod Razr

Posted 15 May 2013 - 23:48

EVE Online seems to be doing alright as well with more and more content being released in every expansion. The thing is most MMO's aren't different enough. They are too similar. The reason I love EVE is because it plays completely different than traditional MMO's and it's far more lax IMO. You don't need to be actively in-game to progress and when you are in game you are merely earning money to put whatever skills you have to use.

What we need is for MMO's to branch off of the standard RPG genre and start foraying into new arenas. Shooters, RTS's, 4x, Mech, TPS, Fighting/Action games, etc. I'd love to play an MMORTS or an MMO with the combat system of Devil May Cry 1-4. There are all kinds of things that we can branch out to, and tbh the standard questing ideas need to be demolished. EVE is another good example of a game where questing is really entirely optional. You can, from day 1 never touch a mission and still get to endgame in EVE. Most (if not all) other MMO's make that impossible outside Battlegrounds.

MMO's have no substance, nothing new or fun to explore. If people want their MMO's to be played, stop making something they've already played 50x over.

#15 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:09

FFXIV was changed to be auto-attack based because of its critical failure due to SE's incompetence. They showed even more incompetence when they started changing things to mimic FFXI. Now the re-release (ARR) is just a Final Fantasy themed WoW; it's disgusting. I will always be sad when I think of FFXIV. I enjoyed it for what it was and wished it was more polished, diverse and had more content. Shame what they did to it.

Could be, but you can't argue that FF14 was ever a good game by any standards. Maybe they can repair it, maybe not. I'll try it again at ARR but I don't expect much.

As to Rift, I got it free with Defiance and couldn't be arsed to subscribe. At least it is different, I appreciated that. I'll definately play it again when its free.