Photo
new hampshire parking enforcement officers safety zone harassment get another job

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 14,347 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:01

Not viable around here - hoods would just saw 'em off & steal the meters for the change inside.

If they're anything like the ones here, the change isn't in the meter itself, it's in a secure lockbox in the ground underneath it.

#17 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 15,690 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:07

Nope, just old fashioned ones here. Hardly any in these parts anyhow - pay to park lots & parking structures are more common.

#18 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:25

Title is misleading. They are not being sued for making payments. They are being sued for harassing officers. harassing anyone is not legal so the city has every right to sue. It happens to be illegal in the US to pay officers based on the number of tickets they write so we know the officers don't give a damn about that. There isn't some conspiracy going on here. The city isn't trying to rob its citizens. In a city that small, est pop 23.4k, the city can't rob it's citizens using parking meters. City council wouldn't have its posts very long since people would just vote them out if they felt the tickets were unjust. This lawsuit really is about the harassment aspect and nothing else.

#19 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• 1,776 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:45

While topping off meters is a good thing to do, following them around , harassing them and all that, not so much.

I don't see why you wouldn't have any respect for the meter maids though. without them you would NEVER find any parking, the city would need higher taxes to compensate for the lack of income from the meters and half of the idiots would double park making your parking situation even worse.

As much as I hate paying for parking in this small town, I'd hate if we didn't have paid parking especially with all the tourists we get, just the locals would make it impossible to find short term parking, we already have a big enough problem with parking

This job used to be a part of the police job in my country. Now they have special firms that just go around for this purpose and sadly enough these people are just really arrogant dicks.
They enjoy writing the tickets and they are just plain arrogant against the people they write a ticket for. That's why I really have no respect for those people.

Like I stated in my original post, I don't agree with the harassment, but the general idea I find really cool.

Now after reading some of the posts, I remember that in my home country (I moved away from there over 7 years ago) most of these meters are replaced by single ticket machines that spew out a ticket that you have to put behind your front window, so this Robin Hood idea would sadly enough only work in a few places.

#20 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 13:51

I guess the cops are mad because they are losing their doughnut money? :p

#21 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,874 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 14:34

I am surprised we have not moved from coins in a machine, to swiping our bank cards.

This would eliminate the no-change excuse.

#22 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,283 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 14:39

I am surprised we have not moved from coins in a machine, to swiping our bank cards.

This would eliminate the no-change excuse.

The rest of the world has, including mobile payments.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!