• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16 Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

• 6,214 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4 Plus

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:47

But if you purchase a phone from Google Play Store it comes without any contract or anything. And you dont break your contract with your carrier, you just switch to a different phone on the same contract.

Which is a breach of contract. My mum tried that when her phone died (which was still in contract) and got a new phone and our carrier sent her a message that either she go back to using the old phone (that was contracted to her) or pay the early termination fee for breach of contract (we explained what happened and they wavered the fee and re-contracted). I have no idea how they found out, maybe the SIM card is locked to the particular phone and they know when it's switched to another phone? no idea. Either way, rather not risk it.

#17 OP +V-Tech

V-Tech

Neowinian Senior

• 3,036 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:51

Which is a breach of contract. My mum tried that when her phone died (which was still in contract) and got a new phone and our carrier sent her a message that either she go back to using the old phone (that was contracted to her) or pay the early termination fee for breach of contract. I have no idea how they found out, maybe the SIM card is locked to the particular phone and they know when it's switched to another phone? no idea. Either way, rather not risk it.

Really?! I have never heard about such a thing. I've done this few times on few different carriers in few different countries and i have never had a problem. The contract is there to keep you from leaving the company why do they care what phone you use as long as you dont leave?!

#18 Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

• 6,214 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4 Plus

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:56

Really?! I have never heard about such a thing. I've done this few times on few different carriers in few different countries and i have never had a problem. The contract is there to keep you from leaving the company why do they care what phone you use as long as you dont leave?!

Yeah really! I couldn't believe it when it happened...

EDIT: After some Googling; your carrier can tell what phone your using by the IMEI number, well that explains that. Apparently in some countries (like the US) consumers are protected and carriers cannot do squat when you switch phones with the same SIM. Guess Europeans are also protected by similar laws? guess us Aussies are not :(

#19 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• 2,829 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:11

The design is a bit plasticy and a bit plain and also the performance is quite far down the line compared to the competition.

I've had a Galaxy Nexus for a over 18 months now, and it is a great phone. It was a super high end phone at the time of it's release. The Nexus 4 is not as high end as I'd like it to be.

I'd like something that has the performance of the HTC One but as a pure Android phone. I think this S4 thing will be the nearest I'll get. The S4 is a really ugly phone which is a shame but at least it has the performance and the display.

Im surpised by the performance part of what you are saying - at the time of its release it was pretty much on par with the Iphone 5 which when you compare costs its almost half the price!

In terms of Android its fairly close to the top with models like the S4 and HTC One (all much newer release than the N4) being the ones to beat it;

http://browser.prima...ks<br /><br />I think maybe my opinion on the N4 is hightened due to coming from a blackberry Curve before that so it seemed like a completely different league. I still feel though for the price you pay the phone is imo the best you could buy at the time, I know a few people with S3's and Notes and they seem like awesome phones but there also seems to be things I can do with mine and not many things they can do with theirs that I much prefer all due to the pure Android.

#20 OP +V-Tech

V-Tech

Neowinian Senior

• 3,036 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:30

Yeah really! I couldn't believe it when it happened...

EDIT: After some Googling; your carrier can tell what phone your using by the IMEI number, well that explains that. Apparently in some countries (like the US) consumers are protected and carriers cannot do squat when you switch phones with the same SIM. Guess Europeans are also protected by similar laws? guess us Aussies are not :(

Ye, IMEI makes sense. Well, it really sucks that those are the rules in Australia.

#21 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,582 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:31

GS4 running straight AOSP might be tempting :)

Played with the AT&T version the other day and it was pretty nice, not as big either as i'd think. So might be worth a look if it's actually true.

#22 +djdanster

djdanster

Neowin elite

• 3,190 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 White Frost

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:42

The only conditions I'd request is that:

1. Samsung isn't in charge of the update process as they are shoddy at it (GS2 owner so I should know!). Google clearly know how to do it (as has proved from the Nexus devices!)
2. Samsung releases the Exynos Source Code so Devs can truly support the CPU on board.
3. Give the current S4 owners the option to move over to the GE software wise without any problems. Eg. a current S4 owner can simply flash the ROM onto their S4. If it is truly just a Google Edition and no other hardware changes then this should be more than possible!

I have my doubts about whether this will actually happen though. I mean, why wouldn't it be called a Nexus device. After all, isn't that the whole point? A device that is running stock Android software is in the meaning of the term a Nexus device... right?

Only a few hours to see I guess :D

#23 OP +V-Tech

V-Tech

Neowinian Senior

• 3,036 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:47

The only conditions I'd request is that:

1. Samsung isn't in charge of the update process as they are shoddy at it (GS2 owner so I should know!). Google clearly know how to do it (as has proved from the Nexus devices!)
2. Samsung releases the Exynos Source Code so Devs can truly support the CPU on board.
3. Give the current S4 owners the option to move over to the GE software wise without any problems. Eg. a current S4 owner can simply flash the ROM onto their S4. If it is truly just a Google Edition and no other hardware changes then this should be more than possible!

I have my doubts about whether this will actually happen though. I mean, why wouldn't it be called a Nexus device. After all, isn't that the whole point? A device that is running stock Android software is in the meaning of the term a Nexus device... right?

Only a few hours to see I guess :D

There has been talks about the Nexus 5 device. At first i think they were talking about LG making the next Nexus again but maybe whole S4 pure google rumour is actually the next Nexus device.

#24 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,582 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:50

Doubt it as well since Samsung would then have to release Exynos source to be supported in AOSP. I guess they can still do blobs for some stuff but not sure about CPU.

SGS2 though as "bad" as it's been has actually been pretty good. It received ICS and JB (4.1.2) which is MUCH more than any other "old" phone out there (besides Nexus Devices).

#25 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 33,598 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:57

I hope this becomes a strategy rather than a one-off!

#26 +djdanster

djdanster

Neowin elite

• 3,190 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 White Frost

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:59

Doubt it as well since Samsung would then have to release Exynos source to be supported in AOSP. I guess they can still do blobs for some stuff but not sure about CPU.

SGS2 though as "bad" as it's been has actually been pretty good. It received ICS and JB (4.1.2) which is MUCH more than any other "old" phone out there (besides Nexus Devices).

I guess regarding the whole Exynos source code issue, Samsung could easily get around it by just doing a 4G version with the Snapdragon instead. I assume the Snapdragon source code is available?

For me, it felt like Samsung only put minimal effort into the updates. After all, the S2 was their real first successful smartphone with over 10 million devices sold. 4.1.2 was only pushed to the i9100 after it 4.2 had released :p. Surely their close relationship with Google would have told them to wait for the 4.2... right?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sammy only release the 4.1.2 update after there was a big backlash from i9100 owners and a petition was made because the phone was still under 2 years old (April 2013) at that point? Samsung signed a deal to support a smartphone through updates for at least 2 years. Unfortunately, many OEM's (not just Samsung) haven't lived up to this promise very well!

#27 HoochieMamma

HoochieMamma

Professional Hoochie™

• 8,755 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 13:10

That is what I mean, when Google take control and update the phone directly it's fantastic. However, when the OEM takes control (and/or the carrier interferes) it becomes are nightmare! my Galaxy Nexus is perfect example of what I don't want to see happen again. Because I got my Nexus from my carrier, it is not supported by Google (Samsung support all carrier supported variants, Google wanted nothing todo with it since they know dealing with the carriers is a pain) and Samsung couldn't careless about the phone and (rumour has it) they have dropped support entirely for the phone after 4.1.2 (well in Australia they have). So if you want anything later (despite Google supported Galaxy Nexus phones running 4.2.2 with rumours of getting 4.3 as well) it's tough luck and your forced to root the phone to get an update you should be getting.

To be honest it's left a very sour taste in my mouth and almost completely put me off getting another Nexus device (adding to the frustration is seeing OEM devices getting newer versions of Android and getting them faster)...sort of destroys the experience in my humble opinion.

Do this:

http://tutorialandro...oid-412-to.html

Its the official ROM from Google and will get around any bull**** carrier lock they have over the updates and brings the phone to how it's supposed to be.

I have had to do this for 3 people at work who had Telstra Samsung Galaxy Nexus phones and they have 4.0.1 when jelly bean was out for over 5 months.

Nexus phones are supposed to be just that, clean and directly up datable from Google, not determined by carriers.

#28 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,582 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 13:15

I guess you are right about the snapdragon version, didn't think of that. Google prolly already has the source for the new Qualcomm CPUs anyways as they are probably in the new Nexus devices being made.

As for the GT-I9100 - AFAIK they were gonna release it anyways but people were being bitchy and wanting it ASAP. The fact that we got leaks earlier on suggest they were at least working on it from long ago but people were just impatient because their SGS2s didn't updates right away compared to newer phones that Samsung still needs to actively support :)

#29 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 13:27

I want now. Well, until I get more information and I might change my mind. If I have to get my updates through AT&T I will never get an update.

#30 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,293 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5 16 GB

Posted 15 May 2013 - 13:32

Now if HTC One made partnered with Google to do the same, it would be so nice.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!