Taliban renounces war on anti-polio workers

afghanistan-polio_2561529b.jpg

The announcement comes just weeks after the Afghan government launched a new campaign to immunise more than eight million children between six months and five years old throughout the country. It said it had trained 46,000 volunteers to conduct the campaign which is funded by the American aid agency USAID, the World Health Organisation and Unicef.

Afghanistan, Pakistan and Nigeria are the three remaining countries in the world where polio remains a serious threat, but efforts to eradicate the disease have been sabotaged by the Taliban and other Islamic militants who have assassinated immunisation volunteers in all three countries.

Eleven polio workers were killed in Pakistan last year, including five women who were shot dead in Karachi in December last year. Earlier this year a police officer protecting vaccination campaigners was shot by motorcycle gunmen in Khyber Pukhtunkhwa. In Afghanistan, a 16 year old girl involved in an anti-polio vaccination campaign in Kapisa province was shot six times in the stomach outside her home last December and died later in hospital.

Continue Reading...

Microsoft drop their points system in favour of regular currency. EA drop their Online Pass crap. And now the Taliban are to stop killing aid workers!!! wtf is going on? I don't know how to deal with all this good news in one day.

Microsoft drop their points system in favour of regular currency. EA drop their Online Pass crap. And now the Taliban are to stop killing aid workers!!! wtf is going on? I don't know how to deal with all this good news in one day.

Don't hold your breath, MS are never going to dump those points!

On a more serious note, I don't believe a word the Taliban says. They'll start killing them again just as soon as they feel like it. You can't trust psychopaths.

On a more serious note, I don't believe a word the Taliban says. They'll start killing them again just as soon as they feel like it. You can't trust psychopaths.

I find it hard to believe one minute the Taliban believes polio vaccinations are an attempt at sterilisation:

Opposition to the vaccination programme has been driven by conservative clerics who claim it is a plot to sterilise Muslim children,

and the next minute are fine with them.

I think drones are an incredibly bad idea, but I'm all for getting drones sent out to these countries and causing the people killing the volunteers as much public pain and misery as possibly, probably through extreme electrocution, so serve as a warning to others that might try to follow in their footsteps.

I think drones are an incredibly bad idea, but I'm all for getting drones sent out to these countries and causing the people killing the volunteers as much public pain and misery as possibly, probably through extreme electrocution, so serve as a warning to others that might try to follow in their footsteps.

Problem is, these scum are hiding among innocent people; so those drones are killing far more innocents than terrorists.

vaccine denial yet another thing the tea party and Taliban can agree on