22 replies to this topic

#1 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,723 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 15 May 2013 - 20:12

http://www.theverge....ndows-phone-app

Microsoft updated its own YouTube application for Windows Phone just over a week ago and Google isn't impressed. The Verge has obtained a copy of a cease and desist letter that Google has sent to Microsoft recently, demanding that Microsoft "immediately withdraw this application from the Windows Phone Store and disable existing downloads of the application by Wednesday, May 22, 2013." Microsoft's YouTube app for Windows Phone appears to have taken Google by surprise.

Well, that didn't last long :laugh:

Edit: The Verge now has a copy of the letter.

http://www.scribd.co...er-to-Microsoft

#2 Som

Som

Neowinian

• 781 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 20:15

well i guess their reason is fair, although i hate ads personally ....

#3 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• 19,321 posts
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 15 May 2013 - 20:16

So all this time when MS said Google wasn't allowing them to offer a native/better Youtube support in WP It seems they were telling the truth. Once MS decided to just say screw it and do it regardless on their own with this new app we get Google tossing a fit? GG

#4 OP BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,723 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 20:18

well i guess their reason is fair, although i hate ads personally ....

really? Didn't Page just complain that oracle wants money over interoperability and then this? :laugh: oh man Google is all over the place today.

#5 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• 5,113 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 20:18

edit: the issue is about downloads because it prevents ads from being shown.

#6 contriver87

contriver87

Neowinian

• 86 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 15 May 2013 - 20:28

they have no leg to stand on. Microsoft is using the public API available to all developers,and for video, they incorporated Flash in the app,which again,is available to use in the API.

edit: the issue is about downloads because it prevents ads from being shown.

You also missed the part about Microsoft outright calling the app YouTube without it being sanctioned by Google.

#7 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• 5,113 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 20:37

You also missed the part about Microsoft outright calling the app YouTube without it being sanctioned by Google.

(1) allows users todownload videos from YouTube; (2) prevents the display of advertisements in YouTube video playbacks; and (3) plays videos that our partners have restricted fromplayback on certain platforms (
e.g.
, mobile devices with limited feature sets). These features directly harmour content creators and clearly violate our Terms of Service. We request that you immediately withdrawthis application from the Windows Phone Store and disable existing downloads of the application byWednesday, May 22, 2013

from the letter. its about ads and downloads,and not because they called it youtube.

On second thought, Microsoft may be grabbing video from the youtube website, acting like a browser, and displaying it, and not using the API ,which falls outside of API usage restrictions. they are probably only using the API for other features, like uploads,etc... I'm sure their legal team had a hard look at this before.

#8 OP BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,723 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 20:40

[/size][/size]

from the letter. its about ads and downloads,and not because they called it youtube. #3 is bull**** and doesn't fly because its using the flash player,and it isn't in the TOS

Best part? The mobile youtube website also does not show ads on Windows Phone. :rofl: (at least I have never seen one).

#9 contriver87

contriver87

Neowinian

• 86 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 15 May 2013 - 20:42

Check it again.

In addition to violating those provisions of the Terms of Service, your application also uses YouTube’s protected trademarks in ways that likely confuse consumers as to the source of the application and whether it is affiliated with or approved by YouTube. The YouTube API Branding Guidelines (https://developers.g...outube/branding) state that you may never use the YouTube logo or the YouTube name in conjunction with the overall name or description of your application, product or service.

#10 Studio384

Studio384

Neowinian Senior

• 1,925 posts
  • Phone: Windows Phone 8.1 Update

Posted 15 May 2013 - 20:43

I hope Microsoft says: "Screw it Google, Windows Phone just doesn't support the add system you use." :p

#11 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• 4,296 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 20:52

I hope Microsoft says: "Screw it Google, Windows Phone just doesn't support the add system you use." :p

hence we would like to see UFC #??? MS vs google. Whoever wins, gets to have their way.. :woot:

#12 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,379 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 15 May 2013 - 20:55

Although I appreciate Microsoft's effort in delivering a quality YouTube experience for WP8 users, I can't think of a good reason to ignore Google's demand. It seems unfair for Google to deny Microsoft full access to the YouTube API but it's also unfair for Microsoft to circumvent the ad revenue system in YouTube. In the end, it belongs to Google and they can do whatever they want with their product and branding.

I hope both companies come to an agreement that will give us the current app in a slightly different form or an official app from Google.

#13 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• 4,296 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 20:56

Although I appreciate Microsoft's effort in delivering a quality YouTube experience for WP8 users, I can't think of a good reason to ignore Google's demand. It seems unfair for Google to deny Microsoft full access to the YouTube API but it's also unfair for Microsoft to circumvent the ad revenue system in YouTube. In the end, it belongs to Google and they can do whatever they want with their product and branding.

I hope both companies come to an agreement that will give us the current app in a slightly different form or an official app from Google.

You're right. MS and google need to come to some agreement.

#14 OP BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,723 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 20:58

You're right. MS and google need to come to some agreement.

I doubt Google has good intentions for any kind of agreement after reading the trademark related text. They don't want microsoft to make a "Youtube" app and they clearly are not going to make one. He pretty much says WP users should use the youtube mobile website (which is optimized for webkit only)

#15 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• 5,113 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 21:05

Check it again.

like I questioned earlier,they may not be using the API and are acting as a browser with flash player,which means they are not bound by the terms of the API. I just checked the terms on youtube,and there is a restriction on modifying the youtube player, but Microsoft doesn't have to modify the youtube player to bypass the ads. It also says nothing about restricting the use of the icon or name,because a browser has to show the name and logo when you visit youtube. there is a restriction on "downloading", but this might not stand,as youtube doesn't own the content. They cant put restrictions on downloads of other peoples content.

For clarity, you retain all of your ownership rights in your Content. However, by submitting Content to YouTube, you hereby grant YouTube a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the Content in connection with the Service and YouTube's (and its successors' and affiliates') business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the Service (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels. You also hereby grant each user of the Service a non-exclusive license to access your Content through the Service, and to use, reproduce, distribute, display and perform such Content as permitted through the functionality of the Service and under these Terms of Service.