win8

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:29

....lol wow did I totally call that one.

Anyway, I guess I need to address the reply seriously, in the past we had the ability to get disks, for instance, Windows XP, with a service pack pre-installed. Not having the ability to get a copy of Windows 8.1 on a disk, and having to buy Windows 8, then get Windows Blue on it, is frustrating. It is nice that they're giving the update away for free, but if they're trying to get people to upgrade to Windows 8, wouldn't it be easier if their copies of Windows 8 had 8.1 included?

Also, wouldn't it make sense to have it distributed via Windows Update rather than the Store?

would you buy a copy of Microsoft office or other software via windows update No i dont think you would . Windows 8.1 is not just a small simple update i would assume with all the features we know it has now and what we dont know it could be 1gig or greater and so the windows store is the perfect place to deliver such a huge update that is not a security hole fix or driver update or other big fixes or stability updates grant you in windows XP SP2 the features that came along with SP2 were needed and was the only way for users to get new features but this day and age somthing like 8.1 the app store is the best way to get it.

#17 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:41

Anyway, I guess I need to address the reply seriously, in the past we had the ability to get disks, for instance, Windows XP, with a service pack pre-installed. Not having the ability to get a copy of Windows 8.1 on a disk, and having to buy Windows 8, then get Windows Blue on it, is frustrating. It is nice that they're giving the update away for free, but if they're trying to get people to upgrade to Windows 8, wouldn't it be easier if their copies of Windows 8 had 8.1 included?

Also, wouldn't it make sense to have it distributed via Windows Update rather than the Store?

what does any of that have to do with your previous post that anyone should be able to download and and install the 8.1 preview.

8.1 will be released on disks, just like any windows 7 you buy today is actually windows 7 sp1.

As far as the distribution, I dunno, so far I've only read this vague mention that it'll be on the windows store. it all depends on how they do it. it's also a bit weird since today Windows store only allows you to buy and install Modern apps, and it isn't. It might be a bad quote and he meant you can buy 8.1 directly from Microsoft Store online, but you can already do that with Windows 8 to.

#18 Studio384

Studio384

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Windows Phone 8.1 Update

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:50

^ Yeah. I wonder if Win 7 users will be able to try it out too, that is, will you be able to install it on any computer like the release/consumer/dev previews.

I think everyone can try Windows 8.1 beta out. It will probably just be like the Developer, Consumer and Release Preview of Windows 8. An .iso. However, the full version will probably only been launched in de Windows Store and in shops near you to replace the Windows 8 boxes.

what does any of that have to do with your previous post that anyone should be able to download and and install the 8.1 preview.

8.1 will be released on disks, just like any windows 7 you buy today is actually windows 7 sp1.

As far as the distribution, I dunno, so far I've only read this vague mention that it'll be on the windows store. it all depends on how they do it. it's also a bit weird since today Windows store only allows you to buy and install Modern apps, and it isn't. It might be a bad quote and he meant you can buy 8.1 directly from Microsoft Store online, but you can already do that with Windows 8 to.

Who said that the Windows 8.1 installation is not an Modern UI app? Beside, you can also download 86x/64x apps from the Windows Store. Won't be a big problem.

#19 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:23

Continued terrible mistakes by Microsoft, defended by all their fanboys with Microsoft Avatars in their display picture...

We don't know if it'll be on disk at all, most likely not, or limited to certain markets. Also I never remember being able to download and install an update from one OS and run it on another. If you want to give 8.1 a go, you should have gone for Windows 8 before now.

#20 ingramator

ingramator

Hacker

• Phone: Lumia 920, iPhone 5, GS3

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:34

So, no .iso directly from Microsoft, then. :/

Doubt that, they always release an ISO for previews!! Will probably just have the same trial limitation like there was with Win8 Previews.

#21 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:49

People on both sides are jumping to conclusions. They say a preview will be made available and that means it'll be a full OS ISO you can get and test just like with Win8 itself. The only thing different here is that the final version will be FREE for current 8 users while anyone still on Vista/7 will have to buy a full copy of 8.1 to install it.

Why either side think this will be different is beyond me, the fact that they talk about you being able to "get it" from the Windows Store and not from Windows Update means it's not a simple service pack, we knew that already. No, the fact that it comes through the Store means it'll be more of a full OS d/l and upgrade. I bet what you get through the store itself when you click "install" will be a download of the web installer that Windows 8 also used if you got it online.