24 posts in this topic

Posted

EA abandons Online Pass feature for future games

by John Callaham

online-pass-ea-games.jpg

One of the biggest game publishers has decided to abandon using a feature that many hardcore players didn't care for at all. Electronic Arts has confirmed it will no longer use the Online Pass program for its future games.

Venture Beat reports it received an email from EA's senior director of corporate communications John Reseburg which confirmed the company was dropping Online Pass for its upcoming games. According to Reseburg, "Initially launched as an effort to package a full menu of online content and services, many players didn’t respond to the format. We’ve listened to the feedback and decided to do away with it moving forward."

EA and other game publishers started launching Online Pass features for games, such as Battlefield 3, that had a lot of online content. The idea was that gamers who bought a new game got the Online Pass code for free. However, players who bought a used game would have to pay money to get the Online Pass, which allowed them to play the game online.

While this was supposed to be a way for game publishers to get some revenue from the sales of used games, Online Pass features have been almost universally hated. EA's decision to ditch the format may be a sign that publishers are getting the message.

Source: Venture Beat | Image via Venture Beat

1 person likes this

Posted

Hah, good. I hope that hurt their sales/wallets very hard, that's what you get for being too much of a cheapskate company.

Posted

EAs only doin it cause they need to repair their image, I don't doubt.

Small steps. I imagine they'll start supporting Steam again at some point as well, but we'll see.

Posted

Just in time for the next revision of consoles that don't allow used games, period. So they are really only doing away with it via PC format

Posted

EA realising they made a mistake?

... It sure is cold here today!

Posted

>many players didn

Posted

They're probably only abandoning it because they have something much better (read: worse) planned.

Posted

They're probably only abandoning it because they have something much better (read: worse) planned.

always on internet required :laugh:

Posted

EA continues to learn?

I continue to be amazed.

Posted

always on internet required :laugh:

You may laugh, but I'm expecting to see a job opening for EA game license inspector;

Must have own transport and clean driving license. They'll be required to go around and knock on the doors of people who've paid for the game and actually bothered to register their real name/address etc.

As the inspector for EA, you will be expected to visit the homes, and do a system check on the computers (sit at and login to said machine) to ensure that the gamers who've paid for the games have paid for it and ensure are running Origin.

Before leaving the home, the EA games license inspector will be required to install Origin on the house hold's pets and give a stern warning to any parental units of the house not to pirate the games.

Inspectors will be required to take all physical copies of the games with them to facilitate a gamers into a digital transition to Origin, dutifully leaving the leaflet explaining how they can rebuy the games at the full RRP on Origin.

Posted

THQ used to be a big offender when it comes to online passes. I'm glad they went bankrupt.

Posted

THQ used to be a big offender when it comes to online passes. I'm glad they went bankrupt.

So just because you don't like something in a company they should go bankrupt and people should loose their jobs? Meh. Kinda a pre-puberty attitude don't you think?

If you think you can do better why not do it then? Until then you need to accept what they offer you or just stay away from their games and hope they'll change.

1 person likes this

Posted

I wouldn't be cheering just yet, it will probably come with a code that ties it to your account rather than just the MP part of the game.

Posted

This, and it's already in place.

Make a game with X amount of content, then sell the rest of the game as a DLC pack and charge for the game price again.

BF3 and Premium. Wub wub wub wub wub fuzzzzzzz wub wub wubbbbbbbb wubbbbbbbbbbb.

If you think you can do better why not do it then? Until then you need to accept what they offer you or just stay away from their games and hope they'll change.

Err, that's exactly what he did, in fact that's what everyone did and that's why they went bankrupt.

Posted

This, and it's already in place.

Make a game with X amount of content, then sell the rest of the game as a DLC pack and charge for the game price again.

BF3 and Premium. Wub wub wub wub wub fuzzzzzzz wub wub wubbbbbbbb wubbbbbbbbbbb.

Err, that's exactly what he did, in fact that's what everyone did and that's why they went bankrupt.

While I agree that dlc has ruined many a games, BF3 is not one of those games.

Posted

Well I'll have to agree to disagree to that. Go play BF3 only servers and see how empty they are, and this is speaking for all platforms. Not to mention there's only like 4 real BF "style" conquest maps. You're pretty much forced into buying Premium.

Then there's the map rotations, where you're kicked from the game because you don't have "map X", splitting the community up - something they promised they wouldn't do during the production of BC1.

Posted

Well I'll have to agree to disagree to that. Go play BF3 only servers and see how empty they are, and this is speaking for all platforms. Not to mention there's only like 4 real BF "style" conquest maps. You're pretty much forced into buying Premium.

Then there's the map rotations, where you're kicked from the game because you don't have "map X", splitting the community up - something they promised they wouldn't do during the production of BC1.

None of those things you listed are new issues with BF3 or even exclusive to it.

Posted

Good Guy EA?..... Is that really you?

tumblr_m5b4uhqaUs1r3yp6xo1_400.png

Posted

Am I the only person that had no issue with online passes?

Posted

Yes.

I have BF3 game for my Xbox 360 (bought used) and never started playing it once I found out I needed to pay to get access to the rest of the game. I don't think I was unwilling to pay but just the idea kinda ****ed me off a bit. So to this day it's sitting in it's case unused (I still want to check out the single player) but I multi is where it's at and why I bought it.

Posted

Nope...I usually buy new. When I had a console I only got used if they were at least one game past it and I'd never tried the devs stuff before.

1 person likes this

Posted

Yes.

I have BF3 game for my Xbox 360 (bought used) and never started playing it once I found out I needed to pay to get access to the rest of the game. I don't think I was unwilling to pay but just the idea kinda ****ed me off a bit. So to this day it's sitting in it's case unused (I still want to check out the single player) but I multi is where it's at and why I bought it.

Then buy it new. Prices drop. A new copy (with online pass included) now costs $25 on Amazon. Buying a used copy to me kind of makes it a "you" problem.

Posted

Gotcha but I got it cheap and the whole point at the time was to play it with my friend. I wasn't that big of a fan (I got BF2 after and played that and liked it) to go buy it brand new when I might not even like. Obviously BF3 came out some time ago (2011) and I got it maybe in January 2013 so it wasn't $60 but getting it for $10 in the event I didn't like it seemed like a no brainer. I understand these companies wanna make money as that's part of the whole point of being in business but these tactics will IMO always be a bad idea.

That's like buying a used car from a dealer but in order to use the radio I have to pay Ford/Toyota/etc to unlock it for me or whatever. The only caveat when buying something used should be that you don't get that "new box smell" :rofl: - well and it's cosmetic condition or something. Functionally it should be the same as new. Hell I just bought a set of LG washers/dryers, imagine how much sense it would make if I had to pay LG extra $X to unlock the rinse cycle or drying for more than 10 minutes.

Posted

That's like buying a used car from a dealer but in order to use the radio I have to pay Ford/Toyota/etc to unlock it for me or whatever. The only caveat when buying something used should be that you don't get that "new box smell" :rofl: - well and it's cosmetic condition or something. Functionally it should be the same as new. Hell I just bought a set of LG washers/dryers, imagine how much sense it would make if I had to pay LG extra $X to unlock the rinse cycle or drying for more than 10 minutes.

You bought it for the online, and are asking EA to maintain servers despite the fact that they see no money from you (only Gamestop or whomever you bought the game from saw that money). Even if you drop the $10 for the online pass it's cheaper than buying a new copy right now.

(Of note -- EA can in fact go **** itself for bringing down servers for fairly recent games that they charged the online pass to access).

It's more like buying a used car from a dealer, but getting mad that the manufacturer won't give you a warranty and is only selling the car "as is".

And I've bought and rented my fair share of games, so I have no problem with any of it, but I completely see where EA, Sony, Ubisoft, and the rest create the online passes -- although personally I prefer ones that offer some sort of extra bonus (sort of like the Cerberus Pack from ME2).