electronic arts ea gaming

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,264 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:30

Well I'll have to agree to disagree to that. Go play BF3 only servers and see how empty they are, and this is speaking for all platforms. Not to mention there's only like 4 real BF "style" conquest maps. You're pretty much forced into buying Premium.
Then there's the map rotations, where you're kicked from the game because you don't have "map X", splitting the community up - something they promised they wouldn't do during the production of BC1.

#17 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,477 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:50

Well I'll have to agree to disagree to that. Go play BF3 only servers and see how empty they are, and this is speaking for all platforms. Not to mention there's only like 4 real BF "style" conquest maps. You're pretty much forced into buying Premium.
Then there's the map rotations, where you're kicked from the game because you don't have "map X", splitting the community up - something they promised they wouldn't do during the production of BC1.

None of those things you listed are new issues with BF3 or even exclusive to it.

#18 +D. FiB3R

D. FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• 6,793 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 800

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:53

Good Guy EA?..... Is that really you?

Posted Image

#19 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

• 8,612 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 13:42

Am I the only person that had no issue with online passes?

#20 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,580 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 19 May 2013 - 15:07

Yes.

I have BF3 game for my Xbox 360 (bought used) and never started playing it once I found out I needed to pay to get access to the rest of the game. I don't think I was unwilling to pay but just the idea kinda ****ed me off a bit. So to this day it's sitting in it's case unused (I still want to check out the single player) but I multi is where it's at and why I bought it.

#21 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

• 4,933 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 15:10

Nope...I usually buy new. When I had a console I only got used if they were at least one game past it and I'd never tried the devs stuff before.

#22 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

• 8,612 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 16:47

Yes.

I have BF3 game for my Xbox 360 (bought used) and never started playing it once I found out I needed to pay to get access to the rest of the game. I don't think I was unwilling to pay but just the idea kinda ****ed me off a bit. So to this day it's sitting in it's case unused (I still want to check out the single player) but I multi is where it's at and why I bought it.

Then buy it new. Prices drop. A new copy (with online pass included) now costs $25 on Amazon. Buying a used copy to me kind of makes it a "you" problem.

#23 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,580 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 19 May 2013 - 18:17

Gotcha but I got it cheap and the whole point at the time was to play it with my friend. I wasn't that big of a fan (I got BF2 after and played that and liked it) to go buy it brand new when I might not even like. Obviously BF3 came out some time ago (2011) and I got it maybe in January 2013 so it wasn't $60 but getting it for $10 in the event I didn't like it seemed like a no brainer. I understand these companies wanna make money as that's part of the whole point of being in business but these tactics will IMO always be a bad idea.

That's like buying a used car from a dealer but in order to use the radio I have to pay Ford/Toyota/etc to unlock it for me or whatever. The only caveat when buying something used should be that you don't get that "new box smell" :rofl: - well and it's cosmetic condition or something. Functionally it should be the same as new. Hell I just bought a set of LG washers/dryers, imagine how much sense it would make if I had to pay LG extra $X to unlock the rinse cycle or drying for more than 10 minutes.

#24 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

• 8,612 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:16

That's like buying a used car from a dealer but in order to use the radio I have to pay Ford/Toyota/etc to unlock it for me or whatever. The only caveat when buying something used should be that you don't get that "new box smell" :rofl: - well and it's cosmetic condition or something. Functionally it should be the same as new. Hell I just bought a set of LG washers/dryers, imagine how much sense it would make if I had to pay LG extra $X to unlock the rinse cycle or drying for more than 10 minutes.

You bought it for the online, and are asking EA to maintain servers despite the fact that they see no money from you (only Gamestop or whomever you bought the game from saw that money). Even if you drop the $10 for the online pass it's cheaper than buying a new copy right now.

(Of note -- EA can in fact go **** itself for bringing down servers for fairly recent games that they charged the online pass to access).

It's more like buying a used car from a dealer, but getting mad that the manufacturer won't give you a warranty and is only selling the car "as is".

And I've bought and rented my fair share of games, so I have no problem with any of it, but I completely see where EA, Sony, Ubisoft, and the rest create the online passes -- although personally I prefer ones that offer some sort of extra bonus (sort of like the Cerberus Pack from ME2).

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!