38 replies to this topic

#1 vetJohn Callaham

John Callaham

Neowinian

• 666 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 22:03

Major publishers are quiet about their Nintendo Wii U plans
by John Callaham

The Nintendo Wii U's launch in November 2012 has proved to be a bit of a sales dud in 2013 and now there's evidence that major game publishers may be abandoning the console already in favor of the PS4 and the next Xbox.

Kotaku reports that, according to a statement from Electronic Arts, "We have no games in development for the Wii U currently." EA released a number of games for the Wii U for its launch window in 2012 and early 2013, but those games were ports of earlier titles that were made for the PS3 and Xbox 360.

In addition to EA, Take Two Interactive has not indicated it has any plans to release any of its future games for the Wii U, not has Activation revealed any upcoming Wii U games. Ubisoft seems to be the biggest major third party publisher that is still making games for the Wii U.

Nintendo has already announced it won't hold its traditional big keynote at E3 2013 this year, but it will host smaller affairs for the press and business partners at the show in June. It also says it has a number of major first party games planned for the Wii U later this year.

Source: Kotaku | Image via Nintendo

#2 SlimShady

SlimShady

Neowinian

• 199 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 22:10

I wonder what Nintendo's next steps are when Wii U's sales drop a like brick.

#3 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 13,893 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 22:12

Yeah EA announced this a while ago.

I hope the WU flops, that way, nintendo get's there ass in gear and make the competition work harder.

#4 Rudy

Rudy

Neowinian Senior

• 22,400 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 23:06

There's a Nintendo Direct tomorrow, that might answer a lot of questions

#5 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• 3,240 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 16 May 2013 - 23:46

I'm willing to bet the situation with EA is similar to what happened with steam a couple years ago. EA wanted to do whatever they wanted(most likely force origin on the wii u), they got told 'no'(again), and then like a child who doesn't get their way they are now refusing to do anything with that platform again like they did with steam.

#6 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• 16,884 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:59

I would maybe see this as alarming news if the WiiU was the only console I owned, but since it is not, oh well.
Truth is I would play any game EA releases on either the PS or XBox anyway.

I know very well all I will play is Nintendo 1st Party Titles and a few random 3rd party published titles (RE Revelations and Rayman Legends come to mind). I am currently getting more play out of the WiiU than I expected. I also noticed as of late Nintendo must have really beefed up their servers. I just downloaded the Resident Evil Revelations Demo. It is only 680 MB, but just a few weeks ago, that would have probably taken over 30 minutes to download. Not even kidding. I just got it in less then 5 minutes. While that is still nowhere near as fast as I should get it based on my internet speeds, it is a vast improvement.

Case in point, Super Metroid for .30 cents that I can play on the GamePad (and create a save point whenever I please because it is on the Virtual Console) is an absolute BARGAIN.

Not saying that alone is enough for people to go out and purchase a WiiU, but the truth is it is the little things like that which are starting to make it worth it.

I truly love being able to play on the GamePad. Hell I enjoy it so much that if PC Streaming was still not considered Beta upon release, I was heavily considering picking up a Nvidia SHIELD this past Tuesday when it went on sale for PreOrder. Common sense prevailed however and I held off, but now that I have had a taste for not needing a TV or Monitor to game thanks to the GamePad, I really dig the whole premise a whole lot. I know the argument is "just hook up your PC to your TV," or "just play on your TV," but I have shared the fact several times I try to be as fair as possible in regards to taking over the TV to game with my wife, and it also means instead of going off either to my office or bedroom with TV upstairs to game, that we can still hang out in the same room, me with GamePad, my wife with Laptop and/or iPad, while we both "watch" something on TV. That is pretty damn great when all is said and done.

So the WiiU will never be my primary console. However considering how little I have played the XBox in the past year and how unless all of the rumors are not true I am not all that excited about the Next Box, the WiiU is going to either going to be A) a very decent secondary console or 3) one hell of a tertiary console after the XBox being the secondary.

Honestly I was really down on picking up a WiiU just a few weeks ago. I was heavily, heavily considering taking $250 for my deluxe console.
I am now very glad I chose not to do that.

#7 Gaffney

Gaffney

I have no title

• 1,775 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 16:50

The Wii U is simply too expensive for what it offers and it fails to offer anything better than the current generation of consoles. The UI is laggy, network features fall behind the competitors and the game selection is mediocre. Finally the main feature of the console (controller) is heavily flawed.

This could be Nintendo's, Sega Saturn. Sega waited two years to release the Dreamcast and it did very well until the PS2 was announced(1 year later). Microsoft and Sony will probably wait at least 8 years to release their next console. That leaves a gap for Nintendo to release something better than the Wii U and I can't see the Wii U hanging around for 8 years.

#8 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

• 5,232 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 17:19

The Wii U is simply too expensive for what it offers and it fails to offer anything better than the current generation of consoles. The UI is laggy, network features fall behind the competitors and the game selection is mediocre. Finally the main feature of the console (controller) is heavily flawed.

This could be Nintendo's, Sega Saturn. Sega waited two years to release the Dreamcast and it did very well until the PS2 was announced(1 year later). Microsoft and Sony will probably wait at least 8 years to release their next console. That leaves a gap for Nintendo to release something better than the Wii U and I can't see the Wii U hanging around for 8 years.

How is the control flawed please how is it i would like to know so i can take my perfectly good working Wii U and Game pad that has been a great experiance the past few months playing COD and Zombie U and other games and chuck it out the door

now As for the UI well it is not laggy they have released a huge update that sped things up quit a bit it is very responsive and if you did not know and i have siad time and time agian the Wii Us GPU is 4 to 5 Generation newer much more powerful and has GPGPU functionality and thus can take a load off the 1.24ghz Tri-core with loads of cach and Possible higher clocked after the 3.0 update if rumors are true and take some stress off it CPU speed should never be ea factor these days

i have a good neighbor friend who is all Xbox 360 but even he is considering a Wii U because of the gamepad and Zombie U showing some stuff the system is capable of

#9 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,311 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 18:30

Nintendo needs to stop releasing outdated hardware. IMO, this is the #1 reason why publishers don't want to jump on board. That and trying to incorporate the obscure features that Nintendo imposes.

#10 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

• 5,232 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 22:02

Nintendo needs to stop releasing outdated hardware. IMO, this is the #1 reason why publishers don't want to jump on board. That and trying to incorporate the obscure features that Nintendo imposes.

Read my ppost above the Wii U is far from outdated but yet more advanced then Ps360 also Ubisoft is a strong supporter for it and that is why they are bringing ther next gen IP Watch-Dogs

So no it is not outdated hardware cause i gaurentee the PS360 canot do dual screen gaming int he same way the Wii U does for the PS to do it it needs the vita and then the vita has its own CPU and Ram and GPU to do that side of the processing while the Wii U does all the work

#11 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,311 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 22:18

Read my ppost above the Wii U is far from outdated but yet more advanced then Ps360 also Ubisoft is a strong supporter for it and that is why they are bringing ther next gen IP Watch-Dogs

So no it is not outdated hardware cause i gaurentee the PS360 canot do dual screen gaming int he same way the Wii U does for the PS to do it it needs the vita and then the vita has its own CPU and Ram and GPU to do that side of the processing while the Wii U does all the work

If you knew anything about hardware and the architectures of the various systems, the Wii U is in-fact outdated hardware. It's on the same level as the PS3 and 360. It may clock faster clock for clock, but it's similar to comparing the Pentium 4 to the Core 2 Duo. The Wii U does not in anyway measure up to the power of the PS4 and next Xbox. It's the same as comparing the Wii to the PS3 and 360.

Nintendo absolutely needs 3rd party and multiplatform games. The only thing really keeping them afloat are their handhelds. The thing is, if their main engine takes too much extra work to downgrade it to work with the Wii U, they aren't going to bother much. This is also precisely what publishers are saying.

#12 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

• 7,092 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 23:00

Honestly I kind of saw this coming. I'm not sure how Nintendo are going to get out of this. Considering the PS4 (and most likely next Xbox) are going the X86 route, it means that the Wii U is an incredibly different alternative - a lower powered, PPC-based system which is going through an identity crisis. Yes, the Wii U is cheaper to develop for then the PS4/720, but that doesn't make it any more of a viable option if devs/pubs can't make their money back.

Also, Nintendo deciding to keep quiet at E3 will definitely not help things - they need to be showing the world they're still ready to kick ass and take names, and be ready to stand dominant as they did in the previous generation.

I really like the idea of the Wii U but I am really hesitant to purchase one in case it ends up as a Dreamcast.

#13 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

• 5,232 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 00:53

If you knew anything about hardware and the architectures of the various systems, the Wii U is in-fact outdated hardware. It's on the same level as the PS3 and 360. It may clock faster clock for clock, but it's similar to comparing the Pentium 4 to the Core 2 Duo. The Wii U does not in anyway measure up to the power of the PS4 and next Xbox. It's the same as comparing the Wii to the PS3 and 360.

Nintendo absolutely needs 3rd party and multiplatform games. The only thing really keeping them afloat are their handhelds. The thing is, if their main engine takes too much extra work to downgrade it to work with the Wii U, they aren't going to bother much. This is also precisely what publishers are saying.

i did not say it match up to the PS4 and next xbox but it is far beyond in many ways current PS360 just look at some of the game on it now Trine 2 and need for speed both use high end PC graphics and run the game smoother then the PS360 and this also while rendering on 2 screens the GPU in the Wii U is 4 to 5 Generation newer architecture and agian while the CPU is clocked lower then 360 or PS3 it dont matter to much as of the GPGPu capabilities in the GPU can help with that and the developer needs to write good code to be efficient but anywho the Wii U is a step above PS360 in Ram and GPU and the CPU while slower clocked does have a bunch more cach

so those 2 3rd party games show the Wii U can achieve visuals and performance above the PS360

#14 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• 7,951 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:43

Feeling more and more justified about not buying a Wii U right now.

#15 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,023 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:05

How is the control flawed please how is it i would like to know so i can take my perfectly good working Wii U and Game pad that has been a great experiance the past few months playing COD and Zombie U and other games and chuck it out the door

1) Poor battery life.
2) Only one is supported properly.
3) No multi-touch support.
4) Low resolution display (only 158PPI)
5) Asymmetric gameplay requires multiple players.
6) Conceptually, it is gimmicky.

At launch it was already considerably behind that of standalone tablets technically and that will only get worse in the coming years. Nintendo bet everything on a trying to recreate the success of the original Wii but the market has moved on.

I'm not at all surprised that the major publishers aren't supporting the platform. Nintendo hasn't been as open to mature content as other platforms and has opted for control schemes that make simply multi-platform ports a no-go. There simply isn't any market demand for an expensive X360 / PS3 level console with major performance bottlenecks (CPU speeds), a limited online ecosystem, woefully inadequate storage and a proprietary controller.

I love a lot of Nintendo's games but I'm not willing to buy a console just to play them, especially not when most of the games are simply rehashes.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!