Quake reported in eastern Canada

(CNN) -- Eastern Canada got the shakes on Friday. Even the northern U.S. twitched.

People on both sides of the border felt an earthquake originating around the Quebec and Ontario borders, the Canadian government said. Natural Resources Canada gave it a preliminary magnitude of 5.2; the U.S. Geological Survey put it at 4.4.

With an epicenter about 11 miles (18 kilometers) from Shawville, in western Quebec, the quake was felt in the Ottawa-Gatineau area and out to Toronto, more than 260 miles away. It hit a nerve in New York state and Cleveland, too.

"My house shook!" Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne said in a tweet.

Authorities say it is unlikely the quake, which occurred at 9:43 a.m., caused significant damage. It was followed 10 minutes later by an aftershock measured at magnitude-4.1 by the Canadian agency and 3.6 by the U.S. bureau. Its epicenter was about 12 miles (19 kilometers) from Shawville.

"It kind of made me a little nervous and I booted it out of the house as quick as I could. It certainly got my heart racing," said Jonathan Essiambre of Shawville, according to the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.

"It was like a massive explosion that went off. It just started shaking and the walls of the bakery were moving," Dan Duggan, who owns a bakery in Shawville, said, according to the CBC. "I thought it was my propane tanks exploding. We were evacuating employees out of the building. It lasted for about 25 seconds and it went on for about another minute."

more