How I Met Your Mother (Season 9)

I didn't like the ending either. They spent way too much time building up to the first meeting and didn't leave any time for us to see Ted and Tracy together for her death to mean anything.

In fact, BECAUSE we saw so little of them together, her death and Ted and Tracy's relationship as a whole just felt cold and inconsequential; which is completely not how it should have been. I especially hated when the daughter said, "this whole story is about how you love Aunt Robin!" Even the daughter alluded to this feeling that the mother wasn't a big part of Ted's life. It all just felt so heartless.

That coupled with the theme of friends growing apart as they got older, it just gave the whole hour this sad tone that was just depressing. And Ted's gesture at the end wasn't enough to make up for it. I agree with RichardK. Robin didn't deserve Ted, and the finale would have been infinitely better had Tracy lived.

As a fan who has watched this show from the very beginning, that was an extremely disappointing way to end it.

I've watched this show from the day is started.. I really liked the ending.. It could have been a little better, but I am glad it ended like it did.. 

I loved the finale. I'll take the criticism of killing off the mother as I think it was a bit cold and unneeded also but overall, it just fits, Ted was supposed to be with Robin, you can't deny that.

As for the whole theme of friends growing apart when they get older, it may be sad; but face it, that's life. People come and go in our lives. Those closest to you in your 20's and 30's suddenly might not be the ones there with you in your later years.

Overall, with the goods and the bads, the whole nine seasons were a pretty great job at telling a wonderful story. Yes they should have ended it sooner, and yes they should have never have introduced Tracy (or at least not brought her in and killed her off) and just stuck with the whole Robin story, but no story, or no life is perfect and I think that was reflected with what we got in the finale

Maybe it's just me but I would have preferred a happy ending where Robin and Barney stayed together and the mother lived.  Then they could have showed the meeting at the train station and the jumps forward could have been Ted and Tracy with the kids growing up and the group staying together instead of drifting apart.  For me the episode was overly sad, the trumpet didn't make up for all the other sadness and it was obvious that it was going to happen part way into the episode.  Also with Ted ending up with Robin how does Barney feel?  The whole reason Robin didn't come around anymore was because of Barney (and sort of traveling).

Wasn't the scene with Ted and his kids filmed 9 years ago during the 1st season? Which I assume means the show was never really about how Ted and Tracy wound up together, but Ted and Robin? Kinda bummed to hear about Barney and Robin though, but I guess that had to happen to.

Fairly satisfied with the ending. I mean it could have been far worse than it was couldn't it?

But I tend to agree with the sentiment that Robin did not deserve Ted.

The ending was dark! I watched this show and loved it, but the ending disappointed me big time. The whole barney and robin splitting up, it made barney felt like not an important part of the show. Yea when barney saw his daughter, that was emotional but they didn't show anything about him after that. Nor about marshal and lily. I felt nothing when mother died because they never made her feel like an important part of the show.

I didn't mind the ending, my problem was with the rest of the final season just being useless as far as character development goes.

Wasn't the scene with Ted and his kids filmed 9 years ago during the 1st season? Which I assume means the show was never really about how Ted and Tracy wound up together, but Ted and Robin? Kinda bummed to hear about Barney and Robin though, but I guess that had to happen to.

From what I understand, they filmed a lot of generic shots of them from back then so they didn't age but they did voiceovers much more recently for the finale.

I wasn't a big fan of how it ended for many of the same reasons others weren't. Seemed like a large copout to me.

I'm quite impressed that the filmed the scene with the kids 9years ago and kept it quiet for that long.

While I liked the ending, it might have been better if that final ep was stretched out into a few eps so we could see Ted and the mother together longer making it feel less rushed

As for the robin thing, the kid brought up a good point, most of the show was about Ted and robin, so makes sense they would end up together, would've been weird if they hadn't.

Only thing that I'm confused about is that I remember reading that the characters or some of the characters of how I met your dad would appear in the final but no one really stood out

As for the robin thing, the kid brought up a good point, most of the show was about Ted and robin, so makes sense they would end up together, would've been weird if they hadn't.

See that's my problem with the finale though. The show is called How I Met Your Mother, not How I Really Want to Bang Aunt Robin Again. They spent 9 years leading up the moment that we get to meet the mother and she had the on screen time throughout the entire series of probably less than one episode. It was cheap and utterly stupid.

I'm okay that they had her die, but it felt like they, being the writers, didn't care about her character at all, despite the fact that she was the titular role. It just blows my mind that this could possibly be considered good. The show clearly catered to the lowest common denominator, those who only ever wanted Robin to be the mother, when she clearly wasn't: aka, the soap opera crowd.

This review sums up my feelings perfectly: "How I Met Your Mother fans will take solace in the fact that when Ted finally did meet the mother of his children, it was sweet, well-written and well-acted moment. That accounted for just two minutes of an hour-long two-part finale however, and the rest will go down as one of the worst television endings in history. ... Nine whole years waiting to see who the mother was, how Ted met her and how their relationship unfolded. All of that, only for the mother to be little more than an after-thought in the end."