25 posts in this topic

Posted

[quote]
[size=5][b]BT considering trial of gigabit speeds over FTTC fibre broadband with G.fast[/b][/size]

[size=4][b]BT is considering trials of gigabit speeds over FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) lines. [/b]
Bill Murphy, managing director of NGA (Next Generation Access) for BT told Recombu Digital that deployment of G.fast standard technology could see customers getting 1Gbps speeds on FTTC lines over distances of 100 meters from a street cabinet.
While this wouldn
1 person likes this

Posted

How much would you pay to get a house next to a [size=4]street cabinet with this? Remember these speeds probably won't be going nationwide for at least a decade.[/size]

Posted

My cabinet is almost 1,400 metres away, I don't think it's going to get a trail in my street.

Posted

I already have a 120mbit connection through VirginMedia Cable however if the price was right (and I am within 100 meters of a fiber enabled box) then I would consider it.

Posted

I'd see anything greater than my current 8Mbps as a god-send.

Posted

Australia will be watching this in anticipation for the next few years...

Posted

So you get Gig Speeds to Cab after that you have to deal with Contention Ratios, Throttling and other crappy BT Infrastructure. *sigh*

Posted

[quote name='ChuckFinley' timestamp='1368997743' post='595698770']
So you get Gig Speeds to Cab after that you have to deal with Contention Ratios, Throttling and other crappy BT Infrastructure. *sigh*
[/quote]
Sorry I think you're getting confused between BT and VM there. BT doesn't do throttling UNLESS you download torrents. VM on the other hand throttles you to 30% of your connection speed if you download so much within peak times.
2 people like this

Posted

[quote name='n_K' timestamp='1368997931' post='595698778']
Sorry I think you're getting confused between BT and VM there. BT doesn't do throttling UNLESS you download torrents. VM on the other hand throttles you to 30% of your connection speed if you download so much within peak times.
[/quote]

Small correction. VM do not throttle people on their top tier of service.

Posted

Wrong fat man they throttle all.

Also n_k they reduce your speed by 30% not to 30%

Posted

[quote name='ChuckFinley' timestamp='1368997743' post='595698770']
[/quote]

This is fibre not ADSL. Different technology.

Funnily enough I was on a course last week covering this and technically there should be no slow down no matter how many people are connected to the cab

Posted

[quote name='glen8' timestamp='1369036725' post='595699610']

Funnily enough I was on a course last week covering this and technically there should be no slow down no matter how many people are connected to the cab
[/quote]

Explain how that works? Its got to connect to a router or switch sooner or later. There is no technology in the world (Yet) that would not produce slowdowns if it is getting hammered by a number of users.

[/quote]

Explain how that works? Its got to connect to a router or switch sooner or later. There is no technology in the world (Yet) that would not produce slowdowns if it is getting hammered by a number of users.

[/quote]

Posted

Contention wont be at the cabinet but further up.

Posted

[quote name='n_K' timestamp='1368997931' post='595698778']
[/quote]
[quote name='FloatingFatMan' timestamp='1369034732' post='595699596']
Small correction. VM do not throttle people on their top tier of service.
[/quote]
Two small corrections. Virgin Media throttles users to 70% of your connection speed if you download above a certain amount in an hour, then to 60% if you go above another amount in the next hour. And Virgin Media [b]do[/b] throttle people on the top tier (120Mb): http://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy-thresholds.html

Posted

[quote name='hjf288' timestamp='1369036458' post='595699608']
Wrong fat man they throttle all.

Also n_k they reduce your speed by 30% not to 30%
[/quote]
From what I remember I looked into the small print (this was on their business service) and it stated being limited to 30%.
Found the page for residential VM throttling, HAHA thank god I left that god awful company, what an utter con;
Level of speed reduction? The 1 hour reduction on the downstream is 30%
The 2 hour reduction on the downstream is 40%
The 1 hour reduction on the upstream is 60%
The 2 hour reduction on the upstream is 75%

Posted

I don't recall them changing that... Last time I checked, XXL customers were not getting throttled and, from the contract I signed, would not be so in the future.

Methinks a phone call is in order.

Posted

[quote name='FloatingFatMan' timestamp='1369045891' post='595699708']
I don't recall them changing that... Last time I checked, XXL customers were not getting throttled and, from the contract I signed, would not be so in the future.

[/quote]
Funny you should mention that, I had the same thing with their business line, when I got it installed, they were adament that there was no throttling or speed restrictions on the business line, then a few years later I really noticed sudden slowdowns and emailed them about it and they said network throttling was on all business packages...
VM are, in my mind, a scam company that if properly investigated could be sued for a lot of money and dodgy dealings.

Posted

[quote name='FloatingFatMan' timestamp='1369045891' post='595699708']

[/quote]
It was fairly recent; only last month it was changed: http://www.cable.co.uk/news/virgin-media-overhauls-broadband-traffic-management-policy-801571837/

[quote name='n_K' timestamp='1369046026' post='595699712']
VM are, in my mind, a scam company that if properly investigated could be sued for a lot of money and dodgy dealings.
[/quote]
Personally, I'd want BT investigated as well for similar practices. My family considered switching to them a couple of years ago (around the time they were first introducing BT Infinity), but they wanted to charge us

Posted

Posted

Lol I wish I could get normal CABLE or fibre first its not like I live in the middle of nowhere... come on BT coverage over speed.... I literally get around 2.5 meg on a good day on DSL no choice with the BT monopoly.

Posted

I can't see how BT will meet their target of 70% of the UK by 2015...

[url="http://fttc.eclipse.net.uk/"]http://fttc.eclipse.net.uk/[/url]

There's so many missed areas, not to mention not all cabinets will get FTTC within an area of an enabled exchange - example being my cabinet, which is connected to an enabled exchange, but can't get it.

Posted

The virgin box is directly opposite my house, just wish Virgin would increase there speeds even more now!!!

Posted

[quote name='Crisp' timestamp='1369056766' post='595699886']
I can't see how BT will meet their target of 70% of the UK by 2015...

[url="http://fttc.eclipse.net.uk/"]http://fttc.eclipse.net.uk/[/url]

There's so many missed areas, not to mention not all cabinets will get FTTC within an area of an enabled exchange - example being my cabinet, which is connected to an enabled exchange, but can't get it.
[/quote]

Yep time to end the BT monopoly. Or privatise it I don't mind just sort it BT.

Posted

I get 30-40Mbps down / 8Mbps up without any throttling or bandwidth caps, which does me just fine. That said, I'd love to get a faster connection if it is reasonably priced.

Posted

[quote name='Sylar0' timestamp='1369057181' post='595699894']
Yep time to end the BT monopoly. Or privatise it I don't mind just sort it BT.
[/quote]
BT was privatised in 1984.