uk bt fttc gigabit

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,949 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:31

I don't recall them changing that... Last time I checked, XXL customers were not getting throttled and, from the contract I signed, would not be so in the future.

Methinks a phone call is in order.

#17 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,376 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:33

I don't recall them changing that... Last time I checked, XXL customers were not getting throttled and, from the contract I signed, would not be so in the future.

Funny you should mention that, I had the same thing with their business line, when I got it installed, they were adament that there was no throttling or speed restrictions on the business line, then a few years later I really noticed sudden slowdowns and emailed them about it and they said network throttling was on all business packages...
VM are, in my mind, a scam company that if properly investigated could be sued for a lot of money and dodgy dealings.

#18 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Neowinian Senior

• 16,526 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:51

It was fairly recent; only last month it was changed: http://www.cable.co....licy-801571837/

VM are, in my mind, a scam company that if properly investigated could be sued for a lot of money and dodgy dealings.

Personally, I'd want BT investigated as well for similar practices. My family considered switching to them a couple of years ago (around the time they were first introducing BT Infinity), but they wanted to charge us £150 just to switch back to them, even though our house still has a BT phone line; it was never taken out, simply switched off, so they want to charge us £150 to effectively switch a box on! :angry:

If there's a way to get around that extortionate fee, then my family might consider switching back, as the prices have gotten better recently (it may actually work out cheaper than Virgin Media now), and my dad and brother will probably be swayed by BT Sport, as they're both football nuts.

#19 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,376 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:13

£150 to get it switched on? Must be something more than that. We applied in some holiday offer when the line setup was free, which was good for us as out actual BT line from the street to the house was cut and needed to be put back, saved us a lot of money that did :D.

#20 Sylar0

Sylar0

Neowinian

• 1,351 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 13:20

Lol I wish I could get normal CABLE or fibre first its not like I live in the middle of nowhere... come on BT coverage over speed.... I literally get around 2.5 meg on a good day on DSL no choice with the BT monopoly.

#21 OP Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,477 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 13:32

I can't see how BT will meet their target of 70% of the UK by 2015...

http://fttc.eclipse.net.uk/

There's so many missed areas, not to mention not all cabinets will get FTTC within an area of an enabled exchange - example being my cabinet, which is connected to an enabled exchange, but can't get it.

#22 SuperKid

SuperKid

Im no superman

• 2,513 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 20 May 2013 - 13:35

The virgin box is directly opposite my house, just wish Virgin would increase there speeds even more now!!!

#23 Sylar0

Sylar0

Neowinian

• 1,351 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 13:39

I can't see how BT will meet their target of 70% of the UK by 2015...

http://fttc.eclipse.net.uk/

There's so many missed areas, not to mention not all cabinets will get FTTC within an area of an enabled exchange - example being my cabinet, which is connected to an enabled exchange, but can't get it.

Yep time to end the BT monopoly. Or privatise it I don't mind just sort it BT.

#24 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,499 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 20 May 2013 - 13:41

I get 30-40Mbps down / 8Mbps up without any throttling or bandwidth caps, which does me just fine. That said, I'd love to get a faster connection if it is reasonably priced.

#25 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Neowinian Senior

• 16,526 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted 20 May 2013 - 13:42

Yep time to end the BT monopoly. Or privatise it I don't mind just sort it BT.

BT was privatised in 1984.