win8 win7

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Radium

Radium

Neowinian

Posted 19 May 2013 - 13:31

Hi!

My mother has a Sony VAIO which has an Intel Atom N450 (paired with the NM10 chipset) and 1 GB of RAM.
The machine is really slow and it came delivered with 32-bit Windows 7.
My question is:
Will Windows 8 make it a bit more responsive?
I'm planning on changing the memory module and put a 2 GB stick into the machine and possibly even put a Intel 335 SSD inside.
If I do this, will 64-bit Windows 8 be more responsive than 64-bit Windows 7?

Currently, the machine is VERY slow and everything takes ages to load. The current HDD is very slow and 1 GB of RAM doesn't help.
The 64-bit version is better since 64-bit software benefits from the double amount of CPU registers plus a few extra instruction sets as well as the ability to enable the enchanced protected mode in IE10.
So, 64-bit is pretty much a no-brainer. Many Believe that 64-bit software needs twice the amount of RAM but that's complete humbug.
The question is the performance that I would gain from going from Windows 7 to 8 on a really slow machine.
The machine came preloaded with the usual trash that only slows it down the already slow machine.
Should I just stick with Windows 7 (just reinstall it from scratch) or would installing Windows 8 give it a few more years worth using?

My girlfriend had a Windows 7 (32-bit) laptop with 3 GB of RAM (1+2, asymmetric dual-channel) and a slow HDD.
I changed the memory and put a total of 8 GB of RAM into it plus an Intel 335 SSD and installed 64-bit Windows 8 and the laptop was like a completetly different machine and it was MUCH faster.
That latop had an ultra-low power Core 2 Duo and not an Atom.
The question is if I can get good results with doing something similar with an Intel Atom N450 latop where I only increase the RAM from 1 to 2 GB. (that's the maximum supported by N450) but put an Intel 335 SSD inside.
While I upgraded that laptop, I booted it and installed it throught the UEFI system which only made it boot even faster.

Does anyone have any experience with Windows 7 & 8 running on Intel Atoms?

#2 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 19 May 2013 - 13:36

8 is definately better on lower power machines. Never used an Atom but I have installed it on a Turion 2 with a 4250 vid chip and it was impressive.

#3 IntegralDerivative

IntegralDerivative

Math is the abstract key that unlocks the physical universe

• Phone: O+ 8.91

Posted 19 May 2013 - 13:39

Try
Xp Pro
Vista Home basic
7 Starter/Home basic

#4 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 19 May 2013 - 13:41

increase the ram if possible to at least 2gb, that pretty much will improve any version of windows on it.

#5 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:28

My question is:
Will Windows 8 make it a bit more responsive?

Yes. If your machine will run 7 it will run 8 even faster and better.

#6 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:31

I'd upgrade the ram, and leave Win7 on it.

#7 r4ym0nf

r4ym0nf

Neowinian

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:42

Oh, I'd go for XP. But 8 is fine.
I would stay away from anything x64 on 1GB RAM.

#8 zhangm

zhangm

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 23

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:01

First, run the built-in Performance Information program and note what component is giving you the lowest score. Next, keep Task manager open and get an idea of CPU usage over the course of a few hours' normal use. If the CPU is always pegging at 100% and is your weakest subscore in WEI, then you'll know that upgrading the RAM and hard drive probably won't have a huge effect. If the disk is constantly thrashing or your RAM is giving you the weakest subscore, then you'll notice a difference after upgrading those no matter what OS you're running.

I would tend towards moving to 8, because it continues the trend of performance enhancements that we saw with the Vista to 7 transition. In your case, you may gain more battery efficiency as well (assuming your Atom is in a laptop), since 8 is far more aggressive at power consumption management.

#9 OP Radium

Radium

Neowinian

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:56

Try
Xp Pro
Vista Home basic
7 Starter/Home basic

Your advices are really strange.
XP is pretty much from the stone age. It is not in any way targeted for low power laptops.
Vista is known for being heavier than 7.
7 starter has some basic features disabled which can only be added back in by installing even more background software, which is the whole reason the machine needs to be cleaned up.

Thank you to all the others!
I've opened the laptop and I will buy a 2 GB stick and insert it.
I've reached the conclusion that 64-bit Windows 8 plus a nice SSD and doubled RAM will make the CPU wait less and be more effective.
My previous experiences only point in that direction.
The drive that I took out is a Seagate Momentus 5400.6 and it's really slow. Booting takes ages. Everything takes ages.
The hard drive LED flashes a lot when you sit and wait.

#10 TheGreek

TheGreek

Neowinian

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:03

put win8 on it! and more gigs if you can.

#11 testman

testman

Neowinian

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:33

My opinion is that putting Windows 8 on it isn't going to make it noticeably faster than Windows 7. The bottleneck is simply the RAM - you need to address that before anything else. The Atom isn't exactly a powerful chip either, so don't expect it to be amazingly quick in any case, but definitely replace the RAM with as much as you can stuff into it.

#12 Dutchie64

Dutchie64

Neowinian

• Phone: WP8.1

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:55

First of all, these two laptops are not comparable. The Atom is way slower than even the oldest Core2Duo.
Also, being slow to load/start is hard to diagnose.

A lot of these laptops came with slower spinning harddrives, to save battery power. For performance this is not really a good thing. The reason why your girlfriends laptop got a lot faster after the SSD, is the SSD.....
Also, when you're not able to upgrade the RAM to more than 4Gb, the 64bit Windows has no effect, and might even decrease performance. And be sure that the Atom supports a 64bit Windows, it might be 32bit only. Check that, not sure on this.

Is the laptop 'equipped' with additional software from Sony? I would start with wiping the drive, and install the clean version of W7 and see if it is any faster. And one note of installing W8, be absolutely sure that this laptop is supported by Sony. If not, try to find W8 drivers for all components, or you will end up with a laptop that doesn't perform better than W7. Drivers are important here for a good experience.

Atoms have always been low performance CPU's, and no upgrade will get a significant better performance out of it. Hardware wise or OS. The only thing that would make it 'feel faster' is some more RAM and a SSD. But running apps will be still the same as the CPU cannot go any faster.

Hope that helps.

#13 Dutchie64

Dutchie64

Neowinian

• Phone: WP8.1

Posted 20 May 2013 - 14:30

In addition to the 32/64 bit OS stuff:
http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Intel_Atom

This list shows not all Atoms will support a 64bit W7/8.

#14 OP Radium

Radium

Neowinian

Posted 20 May 2013 - 22:12

N450 supports 64-bit instructions.
(N2xx and Z5xx do not)
I've just put a new memory module into the machine. One 2 GB stick, DDR2 667 MHz, which is the absolute maximum supported by the N450.

A new problem has risen. I want to install a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium.
I have the license but no physical disc because I used Anytime Upgrade some time before Windows 8 was released to upgrade from Starter to Home Premium.
I am now unable to obtain a disc (Windows 7 Home Premium, Swedish) so I guess I will have to buy Windows 8 to install anything fresh on that machine.
The restoration partition contains the bloated Starter edition and I want to avoid that. :-(

#15 medhunter

medhunter

Muslim Emergency physician

• OS: Win 7 SP1 Home Premium , Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Xubuntu 13.04
  • Phone: Sony Sola

Posted 20 May 2013 - 22:15

Xubuntu 32 bit version.Just my 2 cents