• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#16 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• 3,855 posts
  • Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:48

This should be allowed! im not paying money to go watch performance like a movie only to have some idiot next to me on there cell being loud and annoying. The wife talked to the correct people and they did nothing so kick phone out of here!

#17 rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,653 posts
  • Phone: s4

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:53

if she pressed charges, he then could counter charge with assault..

#18 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,826 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:05

if the ladies insist to be connected to her phone, she shouldnt 've entered the theater in first place.

what kind of phone she have? Windows Phone?

#19 ShareShiz

ShareShiz

Neowinian

• 969 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:27

Honestly, I think she should press charges. Sure she was being a jerk and she should've been kicked the hell out by the staff but he was not only a jerk, he was a physically violent jerk.

If it was an iPhone (being $500+), she would have to go to real court, not just small claims. xD

#20 leesmithg

leesmithg

The Major!

• 9,471 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:45

I do not know myself why people have this attachment to a cell-phone like it's their only paddle in a sinking lifeboat.

My partner takes our children to the cinema for film first day releases, example 'The Hobbit'.

99% of the time it's always a woman, that has to text, or has to answer a call, or make a call or site there for 2 hours constantly asking their boyfriend, what's going on, why are they doing that, wasn't s/he

in that other film we saw.

Then there are those that drive whilst using a cell-phone, they area about evens where I live 50/50 male/female that break the law.

However, 75% (example yesterday) are people that are walking along the pavement, too bust looking at the display screen of their cell-phone and not looking at on-coming people or even cars,

Sill teenager nearly walked into my son and I yesterday at the supermarket because she was doing just that.

Some of you know I don't have a cell-phone nor have any intention of getting one as they are a pain in the arse.

#21 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• 3,746 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:52

Sorry, but this guy's conduct is unacceptable.

#22 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 16,907 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:00

Paraphrasing the late Sen. Barry Goldwater;

'moderation in the pursuit of (cell phone) justice is no virtue' ;)

I've felt like doing the same thing many times. Kudos to him.

Amen to that! Friday we went to see Star Trek Into Darkness (WOW!) and some chucklehead was yapping on her phone behind us. Fortunately for her glaring looks were enough.

#23 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• 4,134 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:09

Police and security should be fully authorized to confiscate cell phones being inappropriately used. :)

or.. use cellphones at your own risk. we are not responsible for anything done to your cell while a theatrical production is underway

#24 Cheatyface

Cheatyface

Did I cheat? No. ....Yes.

• 584 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:35

If it was an iPhone (being $500+), she would have to go to real court, not just small claims. xD

Nah, $500 is still small claims. Some jurisdictions can go $15k before being full civil court. If she did take it to small claims, and I was him and wanted to make a further example out of her, I'd take it to The Peoples' Court. Make sure everyone knows who she is.

#25 +zhiVago

zhiVago

World Citizen

• 9,318 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:39

...the sad sort with too much makeup and too-high heels, and insufficient attention span for following a two-hour musical."

rofl :laugh:

Sorry, but this guy's conduct is unacceptable.

The acceptable conduct failed to reach a proper result.

He didn't just come up to her out of the blue and threw her cellphone out.

He said his date spoke with theater management during intermission, but the situation wasn't remedied when the play resumed:

"The lady seated to my immediate right (very close quarters on bench seating) was fairly insistent about using her phone. I asked her to turn it off. She answered: 'So don’t look.' I asked her whether I had missed something during the very pointed announcements to please turn off your phones, perhaps a special exemption granted for her. She suggested that I should mind my own business."

So, please, tell us, what would YOU do once you realized that verbal communication with that person is fruitless? What kind of method would you apply to deal with such a behaviour? Or would you simply walk away/ask for a refund?

#26 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 16,907 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:31

He tried talking to her. Fail.

He tried talking to theater management. Fail

She continued. Uber-fail.

3 strikes, yer out!!

#27 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• 3,746 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:40

I don't condone the woman's behaviour - if there is one thing I hate more than anything, it is people with lack of consideration for others in public places. If it were me, the urge to punch her would have been pretty hard to resist; nevertheless, it was not his place to confiscate or destroy her private property, and cause a scene which was arguably more disruptive than her use of the phone. The staff of these places need to be more vigilant and throw these social animals and their phones out.

#28 Cheatyface

Cheatyface

Did I cheat? No. ....Yes.

• 584 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:07

I don't condone the woman's behaviour - if there is one thing I hate more than anything, it is people with lack of consideration for others in public places. If it were me, the urge to punch her would have been pretty hard to resist; nevertheless, it was not his place to confiscate or destroy her private property, and cause a scene which was arguably more disruptive than her use of the phone. The staff of these places need to be more vigilant and throw these social animals and their phones out.

She stormed out and he got to finish watching the play. I'd say his actions resulted in *less* of a disturbance than she was causing, over time. I'm willing to bet he got applause when it happened, as well.

#29 +zhiVago

zhiVago

World Citizen

• 9,318 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:18

So, you condemn the man for smashing the phone, but then you say you don't know if you could control yourself not to punch her? You're talking about actually applying a physical force to a woman! How could such a thought even cross the mind of a man? It's pathetic.

Then you say he had no right to do it and caused a scene, but you are perfectly fine if the management did precisely the same. So I wonder, on whose authority would the management be acting when destroying their patrons' private property.

The man is praised because he acted in the interests of the public, he did a common good. I may not agree with his method either, but it worked. Yes, it was an example of reckless behaviour on this mini-hero's part. He too was motivated by emotions, not reason.

Removing the battery or giving the phone to the management would suffice imho.

#30 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,382 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:08

It may have been a common good, but he still destroyed private property. Property that was quite probably worth several hundred dollars. Whatever her actions, his were unacceptable and deserves arresting for it.

Criminal damage is criminal damage; provocation is irrelevant. This would also come under theft as well, so if she makes a complaint, this guy is screwed.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!