Photo

Has my WiFi been hacked?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 StarkWiz

StarkWiz

Neowinian

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:17

The ISP guys dont care about security they only know to factory default.
If you are using a generic wifi name used by Verizon, I would advise you to change the same.

I hope its fixed now ?

#17 OP illegaloperation

illegaloperation

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:23

The ISP guys dont care about security they only know to factory default.
If you are using a generic wifi name used by Verizon, I would advise you to change the same.

I hope its fixed now ?

So far so good. No weird half loaded page anymore.

#18 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:07

My internet connection (wired connection) constantly drops and now it keeps showing this screen. I do NOT have a any amped wireless high power range extender smart repeater. Did someone hacked my WiFi? Posted Image

Ok..

Are you sure you haven't just connected to somebody elses network? I seriously doubt a hacker replaced your wireless router while you weren't looking.

Good question, would have been my first guess.

Yes. My computer is using a wired connection to the modem.

Wait.. What? Then what's it got to do with your wireless..

Do you have a wifi card in your computer then? Or is your router setup (for whatever reason) to connect to an upstream router over wifi?

Nope.. Apparently not..

How did you jump from: "My computer is connected via cable" to "My WiFi got hacked?"?

ALL THE PANTS ON HEAD... ALL OF THEM :|

#19 OP illegaloperation

illegaloperation

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:35

Ok..

Good question, would have been my first guess.

Wait.. What? Then what's it got to do with your wireless..

Nope.. Apparently not..

How did you jump from: "My computer is connected via cable" to "My WiFi got hacked?"?

ALL THE PANTS ON HEAD... ALL OF THEM :|

My desktop is not wireless capable, but it was showing the screen I posted above.

#20 seafirex

seafirex

Neowinian

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:56

My internet connection (wired connection) constantly drops and now it keeps showing this screen. I do NOT have a any amped wireless high power range extender smart repeater.

Did someone hacked my WiFi?

Posted Image

WPA/WPA2 is the way to go but on top of that there should be a option to only allowed by MAC address a connection to your wireless portion of your router. Use that with a good password. Because there can not be 2 mac address of the same id then you have better chance not to get hacked.

#21 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:07

You can have multiple devices with the same MAC on the same network (It's used for load balancing), but one of the attacks is to knock a computer off the network and then connect using it's MAC address to connect to the network.

Even then, it's simply not needed with WPA2, it offers absolutely no security and only makes it harder to add devices to the network.

#22 DKAngel

DKAngel

That i cannot own ....I shall destroy

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:05

so if you only have a wired connection how the fack can you be saying your wifi is hacked? if your not using wifi switch it off on the router

#23 OP illegaloperation

illegaloperation

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 May 2013 - 16:03

so if you only have a wired connection how the fack can you be saying your wifi is hacked? if your not using wifi switch it off on the router

I've already answered this question.

#24 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 20 May 2013 - 16:28

Are you sure you didn't lose power or bump the cord by any chance? Every time my friend loses power or unplugs his router, we have to reset it up. I'm 99.9999999% sure you didn't get hacked. Just follow the wizard and set it back up. I highly recommend you change your password to something more secure than the stock password.

#25 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 May 2013 - 16:35

Sounds like somebody used that to leech off of your connection. It says its a repeater. I know from my area that some fios routers default passwords are your telephone number. Make sure you change your routers default password also.

Like I said. Sounds like somebody is using an amped wireless repeater to leech off your connection.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!