Has my WiFi been hacked?

My internet connection (wired connection) constantly drops and now it keeps showing this screen. I do NOT have a any amped wireless high power range extender smart repeater.

Did someone hacked my WiFi?

ioqgx0.png

What router are you using? Is it an amped?

Do you use strkng gibberish passwords?

Are there any wireless devices connecting to it that you don't recognise as one of yours?

It could be that there is another wireless network with the same name.

Access your router web page and check the wireless network name/ssid (try changing this) , security (Should be WPA/WPA2 for better security. WEP can be cracked), change passphrase.

Use network cable to connect to your router if its not accessible.

What router are you using? Is it an amped?

Do you use strkng gibberish passwords?

Are there any wireless devices connecting to it that you don't recognise as one of yours?

I have the Actiontec MI424WR from Verizon and that's it.

The password is something random that came with the modem.

In the address bar, I do not see a internal IP which says this is a webpage. DO you see this when you open up chrome first?

If I type in anything (google.com, bing.com, wikipedia.org, etc.) this page randomly shows up. This happens on all the browsers.

If I type in anything (google.com, bing.com, wikipedia.org, etc.) this page randomly shows up. This happens on all the browsers.

that sounds more like it might be a virus to me then

It could be that there is another wireless network with the same name.

Access your router web page and check the wireless network name/ssid (try changing this) , security (Should be WPA/WPA2 for better security. WEP can be cracked), change passphrase.

Use network cable to connect to your router if its not accessible.

I just changed it to WPA2.

Are you sure you haven't just connected to somebody elses network? I seriously doubt a hacker replaced your wireless router while you weren't looking.

• Like 3

If your router is the generic one Verizon issued you, it's likely that you are vulnerable to WPS attacks - even if you were using WPA2 PSK-AES encryption. However even if someone has unauthorized access to your network and chose to connect via another access point (in client bridge or repeater bridge mode), the fact that you are seeing that page means he misconfigured something; so his technical sophistication is likely not all that good. Assuming there is nothing wrong with the DNS resolution on your computer - which there does not seem to be any indication of - running a traceroute and/or checking your router's connection logs for unknown devices should prove whether or not you have an intruder.

Edit:

I just changed it to WPA2.

Do you still have the same problem?

Edit 2:

It is also possible that someone is running another DHCP server on your network, and you are picking up alternate DNS settings from that. Once again, I have no idea why someone would do that (especially by redirecting to such a blatant router configuration page) besides misconfiguration.

Are you sure you haven't just connected to somebody elses network? I seriously doubt a hacker replaced your wireless router while you weren't looking.

Yes. My computer is using a wired connection to the modem.

Do you have a wifi card in your computer then? Or is your router setup (for whatever reason) to connect to an upstream router over wifi?

Apparently the range extender is this thing: http://www.ampedwireless.com/products/sr10000.html

Do you still have the same problem?

Not so far, but it has only been 20 minutes.

Do you have a wifi card in your computer then? Or is your router setup (for whatever reason) to connect to an upstream router over wifi?

Not on this computer. It's wired only.

It is also possible that someone is running another DHCP server on your network, and you are picking up alternate DNS settings from that. Once again, I have no idea why someone would do that (especially by redirecting to such a blatant router configuration page) besides misconfiguration.

FIOS was down for the whole neighborhood a few weeks ago and some Verizon technician has to come and fix it. Not sure if that has to do with anything.

If the security was WEP then someone might have probably cracked your wep password and might have used the amped wireless range extender to connect to your wifi.

If it was open then there is no need to crack at all.

I am quite unsure why amped page might have shown up though because it shouldn't automatically unless you are connected to the range extender instead of your wifi.

It can depend on your DNS maybe.

If the security was WEP then someone might have probably cracked your wep password and might have used the amped wireless range extender to connect to your wifi.

If it was open then there is no need to crack at all.

I am quite unsure why amped page might have shown up though because it shouldn't automatically unless you are connected to the range extender instead of your wifi.

It can depend on your DNS maybe.

The guy from Verizon factory reset my router a few weeks ago (the security default is WEP) and I forget to switch it back to WPA2 (facepalm)

The ISP guys dont care about security they only know to factory default.

If you are using a generic wifi name used by Verizon, I would advise you to change the same.

I hope its fixed now ?

The ISP guys dont care about security they only know to factory default.

If you are using a generic wifi name used by Verizon, I would advise you to change the same.

I hope its fixed now ?

So far so good. No weird half loaded page anymore.

My internet connection (wired connection) constantly drops and now it keeps showing this screen. I do NOT have a any amped wireless high power range extender smart repeater. Did someone hacked my WiFi? ioqgx0.png

Ok..

Good question, would have been my first guess.

Wait.. What? Then what's it got to do with your wireless..

Nope.. Apparently not..

How did you jump from: "My computer is connected via cable" to "My WiFi got hacked?"?

ALL THE PANTS ON HEAD... ALL OF THEM :|

Ok..

Good question, would have been my first guess.

Wait.. What? Then what's it got to do with your wireless..

Nope.. Apparently not..

How did you jump from: "My computer is connected via cable" to "My WiFi got hacked?"?

ALL THE PANTS ON HEAD... ALL OF THEM :|

My desktop is not wireless capable, but it was showing the screen I posted above.

My internet connection (wired connection) constantly drops and now it keeps showing this screen. I do NOT have a any amped wireless high power range extender smart repeater.

Did someone hacked my WiFi?

ioqgx0.png

WPA/WPA2 is the way to go but on top of that there should be a option to only allowed by MAC address a connection to your wireless portion of your router. Use that with a good password. Because there can not be 2 mac address of the same id then you have better chance not to get hacked.

You can have multiple devices with the same MAC on the same network (It's used for load balancing), but one of the attacks is to knock a computer off the network and then connect using it's MAC address to connect to the network.

Even then, it's simply not needed with WPA2, it offers absolutely no security and only makes it harder to add devices to the network.

so if you only have a wired connection how the fack can you be saying your wifi is hacked? if your not using wifi switch it off on the router

so if you only have a wired connection how the fack can you be saying your wifi is hacked? if your not using wifi switch it off on the router

I've already answered this question.

Are you sure you didn't lose power or bump the cord by any chance? Every time my friend loses power or unplugs his router, we have to reset it up. I'm 99.9999999% sure you didn't get hacked. Just follow the wizard and set it back up. I highly recommend you change your password to something more secure than the stock password.

Sounds like somebody used that to leech off of your connection. It says its a repeater. I know from my area that some fios routers default passwords are your telephone number. Make sure you change your routers default password also.

Like I said. Sounds like somebody is using an amped wireless repeater to leech off your connection.