Sony teases PS4 design

But fans wants something they can unite behind, something that represents what the product is. It's hard to do that with just specs alone. It means that Sony fans are currently in limbo, as they don't know whether they're going to like the appearance or not. In the grand scheme of things the delay is completely irrelevant but for the moment it has annoyed some people.

Sincerely and truly, I mean this as honestly as anything I have ever said on these forums, if people are somehow upset or disturbed by the fact Sony has yet to reveal what the PS4 looks like, and for that matter if anyone is falling for the cheap marketing tactics MS is throwing at this fact starting with their little man boy of a representative known as Major Nelson, they truly have the meaning of life completely and utterly ass backwards.

The round vent reminds me of my old 90s custom computer case vent!

Sincerely and truly, I mean this as honestly as anything I have ever said on these forums, if people are somehow upset or disturbed by the fact Sony has yet to reveal what the PS4 looks like, and for that matter if anyone is falling for the cheap marketing tactics MS is throwing at this fact starting with their little man boy of a representative known as Major Nelson, they truly have the meaning of life completely and utterly ass backwards.

You have to remember man, hordes of said people are just kids. So yes, arse backwards is par for the course.

If the PS4 is really $399, that would be one hell of a bargain for such a powerful gaming console.

You have to remember man, hordes of said people are just kids. So yes, arse backwards is par for the course.

I guess man, just different times I suppose. Materialism is way bigger than it should be I take it.

I mean I was once a kid, although it may be hard to seem from my comments that come off like a grumpy old man :rofl: and we never even talked about what our consoles looked like. The Super NES was basically a grey box. The Dreamcast was pretty much the first console that tried to have a cool look to it I guess, and it was pretty damn cheesy looking actually.

Which leads me to what really gets me is Microsoft wants to make such a big deal about them not revealing their console, when if you want to talk about design aesthetics, the 360 is probably the worst looking console this current (almost last) generation. It is a white cheap looking piece of plastic with curves that matches nothing else one has in their entertainment center (obviously talking about the original design). The design really was pretty damn atrocious. So it just kills me they are making such a big deal out of it, and as a result their followers are as well, when their own console is the worst looking one out of the bunch. The Wii while cheap looking as well, at least had a minimalist style to it. I guess that all comes down to design taste, but my own personal taste and opinion is that the 360 is the console that looked most like a child's toy. I guess that makes sense now though doesn't it?

So let me settles some peoples overwhelming curiosity...

The PS4 will be black, rectangular in shape, with some silver trim and a blue light somewhere.

I mean seriously, what else really matters? Is it going to be that crazy in design people will not purchase it?

Having received my latest Game Informer today with the PS4 on the cover, I have to hand it to Sony, they have kept the hype going for far longer than I anticipated. They announce the console officially in February, along with some game demos, third-party support, and reveal the new controller and Eye. The subsequent months continue the hype as more details are released (and leaked?) for launch games, system features, discussing the specs, etc. And now we get a teaser trailer for the console itself, while still not seeing the damn thing :p Oh, and Game Informer, the largest video game magazine (though that award is skewed) has their latest issue featuring the PS4, release just a few days before Microsoft is set to reveal the NextBox.

Well played Sony, well played (Y)

I hope it's no bigger than the first gen ps3, or only slightly bigger, and can be operated in a horizontal footprint (running out of room here)

If the PS4 is really $399, that would be one hell of a bargain for such a powerful gaming console.

The PS4 is using x86 so the CPU and GPU combo will be inherently cheaper than the cell processor was, so it could be.

I say box, like a small form factor pc. Im even going to suggest upgrade-able in some way, tho maybe not quite as bare chips n transistors as a pc. Rather more like N64 expansion pack style. Slot in HDD?

I say box, like a small form factor pc. Im even going to suggest upgrade-able in some way, tho maybe not quite as bare chips n transistors as a pc. Rather more like N64 expansion pack style. Slot in HDD?

HDD maybe but CPU/RAM, never.

PS4 is awesome. xbox cannot even come close to ps4

I think this proves my point, DirtyLarry. LOL

I guess man, just different times I suppose. Materialism is way bigger than it should be I take it.

I mean I was once a kid, although it may be hard to seem from my comments that come off like a grumpy old man :rofl: and we never even talked about what our consoles looked like. The Super NES was basically a grey box. The Dreamcast was pretty much the first console that tried to have a cool look to it I guess, and it was pretty damn cheesy looking actually.

Which leads me to what really gets me is Microsoft wants to make such a big deal about them not revealing their console, when if you want to talk about design aesthetics, the 360 is probably the worst looking console this current (almost last) generation. It is a white cheap looking piece of plastic with curves that matches nothing else one has in their entertainment center (obviously talking about the original design). The design really was pretty damn atrocious. So it just kills me they are making such a big deal out of it, and as a result their followers are as well, when their own console is the worst looking one out of the bunch. The Wii while cheap looking as well, at least had a minimalist style to it. I guess that all comes down to design taste, but my own personal taste and opinion is that the 360 is the console that looked most like a child's toy. I guess that makes sense now though doesn't it?

So let me settles some peoples overwhelming curiosity...

The PS4 will be black, rectangular in shape, with some silver trim and a blue light somewhere.

I mean seriously, what else really matters? Is it going to be that crazy in design people will not purchase it?

Dunno man, I would have killed to get my hands on a US SNES when I was a kid, even though in hindsight, it's kinda fugly.

Super_Nintendo_and_Famicom_thumb.jpg

Not to mention, a Panasonic Gamecube

Gamecube-Panasonic.jpg

But then, I used to love anything Nintendo. Unfortunately, those ###### have been breaking my heart for years, always trailing the pack in terms of hardware.

Lot of Panasonic on a Sony thread :shiftyninja:

Yeah, us Panasonic fanboys are just trollin' :rolleyes: :rofl:

No, the new pictures are identical to the old one. the thing is the old one is a straight top down view. the new ones are shot at angles. it's kind of like the non paralell shadows on the moon photos thing ;)

if seen strgith from the top the share button is straight, it's straight in the new pic to. but it's not on a flat surface.

And if you look at the shading of the original top down picture, you'll notice the shadows showing the speaker is in the same downward bend/curve area that the new angled pic shows off better.

I don't have enough time to play all the new Xbox games, why would I need another console essentially giving me mostly the same games and whatever exclusives there are on either side, I can either live without or there are as or nearly as good alternatives on the console I have. I think PC, Xbox* and Computer covers all the gaming hours I had if my days where 48hours.

So whatever console you chose to buy, I don't see the need to have both Xbox and PS.

I think my point was less about buying them all and maybe stop bitching at each other about the 'other' console. Everyone who buys a PS4 or Xbox3 is going to LOVE their gaming ... so why does it matter? I hate the arguing and sniping over it all ... Does it matter who buys what? Does it make a difference to Sony or Microsoft's sales? No. Both have sold in excess of 80 million systems on last gen alone ... they will do the same this time round and neither will suffer. Get over it people! Buy what you want, but don't have a go at the other console or owners of the consoles ... it matters not!

I don't disagree, though my impression is more than fans are mildly annoyed rather than fuming. Given how seriously people take consoles I think it was a mistake not to show off the appearance of the console during the unveil but a minor one at most. It might still pay off if Sony is able to steal the thunder from Microsoft's next generation announcement.

ibj1ypjeaSkiZX.gif

The only worry about that mockup is if it were an expensively made piece of hardware, it would no doubt look pretty eye-catching. This will be cheap matte/plastic and LEDs though :p In order for those price saving tactics to work well the design has to be simple, elegant and tasteful. Anything complex and you either have a launch PS3, aka being too expensive with all the glitz and glamour, or a new slim, noticeably cheapened by the grill effect as you scramble to cost save out your ass thanks to your original design.

Sony's been listening to us in other regards (games development/the controller), hopefully the design team has been listening as well and have not been locked away in a cellar with some of what the modern society considers "art" or "hip looking" for inspiration :p

I think this proves my point, DirtyLarry. LOL

Dunno man, I would have killed to get my hands on a US SNES when I was a kid, even though in hindsight, it's kinda fugly.

Yeah it does prove your point.

And how much would you kill? I still have my SNES and it is in pretty damn good condition as well.

It's too late when people perceive it to be too late. Sony rushed the announcement of the PS4 and didn't reveal the appearance of the console, which for many people is an important factor. Sure it doesn't have any bearing on the performance of the machine but it does impact its desirability and its "cool" factor. It really doesn't make much difference to me though, as it's still going to be a long time before it's released.

What Sony did in February came too close to being called a vaporware. :/ They should've waited to do a proper reveal/unveil/launch (whatever you want to call it). It was no better than saying "Yes, we know we are launching PS4 this year" similar to their "We know the price of PS4".

Yeah it does prove your point.

And how much would you kill? I still have my SNES and it is in pretty damn good condition as well.

Don't tempt me :cry: lol

But no, I'm good man, thanks for the offer.

I can't be spending money on stuff like that at this point. I've got a PS4 and a Xbox whatever to save up for, and I've just spent ?700 on a printer :x

What Sony did in February came too close to being called a vaporware. :/ They should've waited to do a proper reveal/unveil/launch (whatever you want to call it). It was no better than saying "Yes, we know we are launching PS4 this year" similar to their "We know the price of PS4".

Vaporware is a term in the computer industry that describes a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actually released nor officially cancelled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

Yeah... okay... showing off multiple games, the OS, the new controller and how it works is close to vaporware.