Photo

Seagate Expansion 1TB External Hard Disk issue, please help me!

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16 OP Arun Kashyap

Arun Kashyap

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia 5800 XpressMusic

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:43

I just want them to fix the PCB. Will they erase my current data?

#17 Auditor

Auditor

Neowinian

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:00

Dude it's not worth in sending it to Seagate. First of all, I don't think physical damage might be covered under warranty. So I doubt it if they will replace it. I don't know if you have any sensitive or important data on your drive. If you do have then I it depends which is more important for you whether to recover your data or don't care about data but need your hard drive back. In any case, I think best bet would be to take hard drive out and if you got desktop then trying hooking up inside your computer enclosure.

#18 ozgeek

ozgeek

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:33

If you want to recover data from a damaged drive, what you want is to send it to a data recovery company. Unfornately they are very expensive which stress the importance of regular backups.

Accidential damage is not covered in warrenty. You can try to send it to Seagate but remember they will just send you another one and without the data.

You can try to pull it apart. I have 5 of those seagate expansion drives you are describing and 2 of them were extracted from the black drive case and put into inside the computer tower as a normal hard drive.

#19 OP Arun Kashyap

Arun Kashyap

Neowinian

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:56

if I cannot send it to Seagate, how can I fix the PCB manually?

#20 YounGMessiah

YounGMessiah

"individual magnets"

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:18

You cant fix the PCB manually

#21 OP Arun Kashyap

Arun Kashyap

Neowinian

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:57

I forgot to add this - After connecting the external HDD to the computer (the computer doesn't detect it), It spins, and within a minute, it stops spinning and is disconnected automatically from the computer. But I can see my device in the 'Hardware and Devices' section (when I connect it) of the Control Panel, not in "My Computer" and the device disappears from there when it auto disconnects. Is it related to PCB? Any idea?

#22 YounGMessiah

YounGMessiah

"individual magnets"

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:23

Is your external hard drive physically damaged? If so where, possibly a pic.

You havent mentioned if you dropped it or something, or did this start mysteriously?

If you can while in your operating system, run a S.M.A.R.T. check on that drive.
I use the program Defraggler which has a SMART tab which shows nice information.

#23 OP Arun Kashyap

Arun Kashyap

Neowinian

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:38

Is your external hard drive physically damaged? If so where, possibly a pic.

You havent mentioned if you dropped it or something, or did this start mysteriously?

If you can while in your operating system, run a S.M.A.R.T. check on that drive.
I use the program Defraggler which has a SMART tab which shows nice information.

No, the HDD has not been damaged physically but yes, the problems started when it fell. The other method is okay, but the problem is that my HDD auto disconnects itself in less than a minute, which is very less time.

#24 YounGMessiah

YounGMessiah

"individual magnets"

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:03

Should be enough time to open that program and take a screen shot of the SMART info

#25 OP Arun Kashyap

Arun Kashyap

Neowinian

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:37

The external HDD was not detected in Defraggler...

#26 +Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:54

Did you initialize the drive? Go to Disk settings, see if it is there.

#27 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 75
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 13:41

The drive fell from 1.5 FT, as already stated this most likely damaged something in the case (circuit board that converts your sata/pata connection to USB) or the drive itself is damaged.

As already suggested - take the drive OUT and directly connect it to your computer via its sata or pata connection. Or use another USB to drive cable.. They are fairly cheap around $20 or so here in the the US, and can be ordered from any online shop if you don't have a place to buy one.

If the drive works when directly connected to your machine or via a usb drive cable..

eample
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812232002

usbcable.jpg

Then you could just buy a replacement case for it... Or just use it internal, etc. If does not work when directly connected to your computer or via another usb cable like above - then it was most likely damaged in the fall. I doubt warranty covers dropping them.. So you might just be out of luck, you could contact them and ask if warranty covers you dropping it from 1.5 feet. Good luck with that ;)

#28 OP Arun Kashyap

Arun Kashyap

Neowinian

Posted 22 May 2013 - 13:48

The drive fell from 1.5 FT, as already stated this most likely damaged something in the case (circuit board that converts your sata/pata connection to USB) or the drive itself is damaged.

As already suggested - take the drive OUT and directly connect it to your computer via its sata or pata connection. Or use another USB to drive cable.. They are fairly cheap around $20 or so here in the the US, and can be ordered from any online shop if you don't have a place to buy one.

If the drive works when directly connected to your machine or via a usb drive cable..

eample
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812232002

usbcable.jpg

Then you could just buy a replacement case for it... Or just use it internal, etc. If does not work when directly connected to your computer or via another usb cable like above - then it was most likely damaged in the fall. I doubt warranty covers dropping them.. So you might just be out of luck, you could contact them and ask if warranty covers you dropping it from 1.5 feet. Good luck with that ;)

What do I do to the PCB?

Did you initialize the drive? Go to Disk settings, see if it is there.

Where?

#29 +Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 22 May 2013 - 14:01

Arun, throw away the PCB..

Initialize: http://www.ehow.com/...-new-disks.html

#30 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 75
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 14:02

"What do I do to the PCB?"

What?? You don't do anything with the circuit board in the case (PCB - Printed Circuit Board).. It was most likely damaged in the fall.

I think there is a bit of language barrier so far in this thread. You have been told MULTIPLE times to open up the case and take the drive out and connect it to your PC directly.. I don't know how else to explain this too you. I would suggest you have a friend that understands english better read this thread and translate for you.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!