Jump to content



Photo

Gospel Singer Sues McDonald’s Over Ruined Voice

new york glass lawsuit soprano

  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

    totally wAcKed

  • 62,887 posts
  • Joined: 05-October 03
  • Location: Odder Space
  • OS: Windows XP, 7

Posted 21 May 2013 - 13:38

A gospel singer is suing McDonald’s after she swallowed a piece of glass found in a chicken sandwich.

Jacqueline Simpson said that she encountered the stray shard after ordering a meal from the fast food chain back in 2010. The singer claims that swallowing the glass had an adverse affect on her vocal chords. Since her singing voice has ultimately been destroyed, Simpsons decided to file a lawsuit against McDonald’s.

Business Insider reports that the change in the woman’s voice was almost immediate. The problem is so severe that she if often mistaken for a man during phone calls. :huh:

“Now when I sing, I have a hoarse, rattly voice. I still sing alto, but I can’t sing soprano like I used to,” Simpson explained to the New York Post.

She continued, “I have to make a lot of calls for work, and I have to tell people that I’m not a man. Before, that never happened.”

The singer, who is also a clerk with the Attorney General’s office, has decided to sue McDonald’s over the damage done to her vocal chords. Simpson filed the lawsuit in Brooklyn last week.

The chain has yet to respond to Jacqueline Simpson’s lawsuit as of this writing.

source


#2 +primortal

primortal

    Why Does It Hurt!

  • 3,469 posts
  • Joined: 18-October 01
  • Location: USA
  • OS: Windows 8
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia Icon (929)

Posted 21 May 2013 - 13:42

So we wait for 3 years before we decide to sue.... How are you going to prove the glass shard came from a McD's sandwich after waiting so long.

#3 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

    Electrical Engineer

  • 8,170 posts
  • Joined: 02-January 04
  • Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posted 21 May 2013 - 13:42

Err... why did she wait 3 and a half years? I think that will severely hurt her case.

#4 spacer

spacer

    I'm awesome

  • 6,546 posts
  • Joined: 09-November 06
  • Location: Connecticut, USA
  • OS: Windows 7
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 21 May 2013 - 13:53

I guess McDonald's is at fault. But then again, they mass produce their food and I'm pretty sure there are factory quality standards that allow a certain percentage of this kind of stuff through. That's the reasion you can get a dead rodent or other, non-edible stuff in canned foods. As long as McDonald's passed the standards like that, I don't know if they can guilty.

Obviously, if this was a regular restaurant that made food to order, it would totally be their fault. But this whole factory produced food gray area throws me for a loop. I would assume this woman and her lawyers would have to prove the glass was the direct reason why her voice got worse. If so, they might have a case.

I mean, we are talking about the broken legal system that awarded a plaintiff a ton of money because McDonald's served a regular (hot) coffee that they spilled and burned themselves...

#5 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

    Neowinian Senior

  • 4,789 posts
  • Joined: 08-July 10

Posted 21 May 2013 - 13:55

I mean, we are talking about the broken legal system that awarded a plaintiff a ton of money because McDonald's served a regular (hot) coffee that they spilled and burned themselves...

That is not true. That case involved coffee so hot it caused 3rd degree burns.

#6 OP Hum

Hum

    totally wAcKed

  • 62,887 posts
  • Joined: 05-October 03
  • Location: Odder Space
  • OS: Windows XP, 7

Posted 21 May 2013 - 14:01

I don't remember ever seeing anything served in glass at McDonald's.

Would have to come from a broken window.

#7 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

    Neowinian Senior

  • 2,455 posts
  • Joined: 29-November 09

Posted 21 May 2013 - 14:13

I don't remember ever seeing anything served in glass at McDonald's.

Would have to come from a broken window.


It could come from multiple manufacturing processes, or even from another supplier....

Things fall into mixers, bags and such all the time.

#8 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

    Resident Fat Dude

  • 15,896 posts
  • Joined: 23-August 04
  • Location: UK

Posted 21 May 2013 - 14:17

Umm.. Biology fail? The larynx is in the trachea, not the esophagus. She would have had to have inhaled the glass, not swallowed it...

#9 XerXis

XerXis

    Neowinian Senior

  • 5,081 posts
  • Joined: 13-February 06
  • Location: Belgium

Posted 21 May 2013 - 14:19

I guess McDonald's is at fault. But then again, they mass produce their food and I'm pretty sure there are factory quality standards that allow a certain percentage of this kind of stuff through. That's the reasion you can get a dead rodent or other, non-edible stuff in canned foods. As long as McDonald's passed the standards like that, I don't know if they can guilty.

Obviously, if this was a regular restaurant that made food to order, it would totally be their fault. But this whole factory produced food gray area throws me for a loop. I would assume this woman and her lawyers would have to prove the glass was the direct reason why her voice got worse. If so, they might have a case.

I mean, we are talking about the broken legal system that awarded a plaintiff a ton of money because McDonald's served a regular (hot) coffee that they spilled and burned themselves...


I'm pretty sure glass shards and dead rodents fall outside of any food safety standards .... I don't know what country you live in, but a dead rodent inside of a can would warrent an immediate shutdown, recall and health inspection in mine.

That said, I always get suspicious when I hear someone waited a large amount of time before suing. Why didn't she sue immediately after ingesting the glass, and how could she know it was glass anyway when she swallowed it, did she throw up after in the mcdo and found a piece of glass? In that case, settle immediatly, do not wait three years :s

#10 xendrome

xendrome

    In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

  • 7,330 posts
  • Joined: 05-December 01
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Posted 21 May 2013 - 14:21

I guess McDonald's is at fault. But then again, they mass produce their food and I'm pretty sure there are factory quality standards that allow a certain percentage of this kind of stuff through...


Actually it would probably be the food distributor or mfg that is at fault. The problem here is you have to show some type of negligence on the part of McDonalds or whoever is ultimately going to be at fault.

#11 SupportGeek

SupportGeek

    Neowinian

  • 483 posts
  • Joined: 09-July 12

Posted 21 May 2013 - 14:22

Not really sure why she is suing McDonald's, shouldn't she sue the supplier of the McChicken patties?
Also, doesn't she chew? I seem to be able to detect the smallest grain of damn sand in anything I eat, and when I do, I get rid of it, I don't swallow the sand

#12 xendrome

xendrome

    In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

  • 7,330 posts
  • Joined: 05-December 01
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Posted 21 May 2013 - 14:23

I'm pretty sure glass shards and dead rodents fall outside of any food safety standards .... I don't know what country you live in, but a dead rodent inside of a can would warrent an immediate shutdown, recall and health inspection in mine.


Welcome to the internet, everyone here is an expert. So you'll see comments like the one you were responding to. And yes of course there is no "allowed" limit of GLASS in peoples food... Good way to ruin your rep and lose all of your customers. The competition would just have to advertise "We allow 0% glass in our food"

#13 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

  • 21,358 posts
  • Joined: 25-May 04
  • Location: Toronto, ON
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 21 May 2013 - 14:42

Umm.. Biology fail? The larynx is in the trachea, not the esophagus. She would have had to have inhaled the glass, not swallowed it...

Yeah, her vocal chords are in her larynx. Either she inhaled a shard of glass and choked or the shard of glass cut through thick muscle tissue to get from her esophagus to her larynx. Neither scenarios seem plausible because the former would have been an immediate issue and the latter is highly improbable.

#14 OP Hum

Hum

    totally wAcKed

  • 62,887 posts
  • Joined: 05-October 03
  • Location: Odder Space
  • OS: Windows XP, 7

Posted 21 May 2013 - 14:43

It could come from multiple manufacturing processes, or even from another supplier....

Things fall into mixers, bags and such all the time.


Which is why McDonald's should win the lawsuit.

#15 spacer

spacer

    I'm awesome

  • 6,546 posts
  • Joined: 09-November 06
  • Location: Connecticut, USA
  • OS: Windows 7
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 21 May 2013 - 14:46

That is not true. That case involved coffee so hot it caused 3rd degree burns.


I guess you're another person similar to the one in the lawsuit that doesn't realize coffee is made with boiling water.