Photo

Subway Just as Unhealthy as McDonald’s !?

fast food calories high fat high sodium “health halo”

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#16 +Audien

Audien

Software Eng.

• 4,399 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 21 May 2013 - 15:47

Don't order a footlong - pretty simple really. Footlong will be ~1000 calories which is close to 2/3 of your daily requirement. 6-inch will be about half that which is about perfect.

#17 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 21 May 2013 - 15:55

Looks like you guys covered it all pretty well. Not much more left to say. :laugh: Next thing you know they are going to come out with a revolutionary study that says that your salad is less healthy than McDonalds because they tested a salad loaded with fried chicken, bacon, cheese and salad dressing.

People that come out with assinine "studies" like this are just an insult to those of us with enough brain to comprehend these things without having to have someone tell us.

It's the same as any sandwich shop vs burger place. For example, just 30 minutes ago I walked to the cafeteria here at work. I thought for a second whether I wanted a burger or a sub. I could have gotten a small burger and nothing else, or a 12" sub filled with meat and cheese and mayonaise, and the sub would have been worse for me. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure that out. (I picked a 6" turkey sandwich with just mustard btw, I will NOT pass on cheese though :p)

The bottom line is, there is almost nothing at McDonalds which is "healthy", whereas there is a huge variety of options at Subway. What you decide is up to you!

#18 hagjohn

hagjohn

Neowinian Senior

• 2,069 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 1020 8.1

Posted 21 May 2013 - 16:02

Horrible study. There is a big difference where the calories come from.

#19 moloko

moloko

Neowinian Senior

• 2,701 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 16:07

i like the chicken breast with lettuce, green peppers, and bananna peppers on flat bread. YUM and healthy.

Also: how can you not count french fries in the study. Those are the first thing I eat.

#20 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,632 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 16:31

How did that fat guy lose weight eating Subway ... ?

#21 Digit12345

Digit12345

Neowinian

• 109 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 16:48

Next thing you know they are going to come out with a revolutionary study that says that your salad is less healthy than McDonalds because they tested a salad loaded with fried chicken, bacon, cheese and salad dressing.

Or they can just take an unusually large serving of salad and determine it has more calorie content. :laugh:

#22 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• 4,910 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 16:49

cholesterol in food doesn't affect cholesterol in blood. high cholesterol in the body is mostly hereditary. high fructose corn syrup is not worse for you than any other sugar or carb for that matter. it gets a bad rap because its cheap and added to everything,and people overconsume. saturated fat is not bad for you and doesn't cause heart disease. its never been proven. its actually detrimental to cut it out. people on high saturated fat diets lose weight all the time and have really nice blood profiles.high sodium is also not a problem if you drink enough fluids and are active. the groups that say a 2000mg limit you shouldn't exceed is so dumb and can be dangerous if you are very active because not enough sodium will cause dehydration and your kidneys will take a hit.

what the problem is is over consumption of food that's not helped by the fact that its really easy to buy very high calorie,great tasting foods for so cheap. also not being active and not getting the proper circulation does way more damage. that's the problem,not this BS singling out of certain macronutrients and foods. mcdonalds is not your problem. subway isn't your problem. you are the problem. buying 2 bigmacs and a large fries and a drink the size of your head is.Buying a burger,a small or medium fries,and a medium drink,depending on your needs isn't that bad. We've seen people on low fat diets,high fat diets,low carb diets,high carb diets, low protein diets,high protein diets ALL lose weight,have awesome blood profiles and healthy as they have ever been.

#23 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

• 3,933 posts
  • Phone: WP8

Posted 21 May 2013 - 16:56

They basically wrote down the calories of what people were ordering.

As opposed to the calorie intake of sandwiches people didn't order/eat?

#24 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,310 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 16:57

But if we name the parent company of Subway "Doctor's Associates, Inc" then it must be healthy right?

#25 typu

typu

Neowinian

• 377 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 16:58

... that Subway is “the official training restaurant of athletes everywhere,” you might get the idea that the food served at the chain isn’t that bad for you—that it’s even healthy.

Think again.

lol of course that stuff is not healthy. none of that kind of food is. it might be healthy from a todays definition of the average. but it is far away from being really healthy.
6 months ago I started to begin eating healthy from an educated point of view. I can tell you that there is a HUGE difference of eating healthy from a marketing point of view compared to non industralized food.

heck i even made my own bred this weekend. where I live people eat lots of bred. we even have a bred culture. real bread, not that sandwich bread stuff. but even that quality bread sucks compared to when you make your own.

all food that is some way or another alleviated from its pure form is losing quality.

but tbh - i dont blame anyone. browsing the super market i realized how difficult it is to eat healthy. 80-90% of all you find in the super market is pure junk. it is sad really... i had to learn first to differentiate between "good" and "bad" food.

#26 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,632 posts

But if we name the parent company of Subway "Doctor's Associates, Inc" then it must be healthy right?

^ Of course ! 'Cuz doctors never lie or mislead people. :p

#27 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

• 5,315 posts

As opposed to the calorie intake of sandwiches people didn't order/eat?

You cannot say that subway is as bad for you as mcdonalds just based on what people are ordering.

#28 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,934 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 17:02

No fast food is particularly healthy, however it would perhaps be advantageous to display Sodium content alongside calories

#29 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

• 3,933 posts
  • Phone: WP8

Posted 21 May 2013 - 17:04

You cannot say that subway is as bad for you as mcdonalds just based on what people are ordering.

Except you can and it is.

For example I go to subway and get a footlong steak and cheese sub. It's not a special order or anything. Based on Subways own nutrition info it's over 1,000 calories, 18 grams of saturated fat and 2,600mg of Sodium. Tasty.

The next day I go to McDonalds and get a Big Mac and fries. According to McDonalds (Canada) this is 890 calories, 12 grams of saturated fat and 1,290mg of sodium.

So which is the better option?

#30 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• 7,658 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 17:07

high fructose corn syrup is not worse for you than any other sugar or carb for that matter.

Fructose is among the leading causes of increasing obesity and type-2 diabetes in the United States. This article is a good place to start: Obesity, Type 2 Diabetes, and Fructose.