Xbox: A New Generation Revealed

It's a real concern though for people like me who occasionally rent or borrow from public library. MS is not helping by not communicating openly.

Whatever they're planning I don't think they should openly say anything until the time is right. I would never want to give my competition an headsup on what I'm planning. Simple as that. So if they don't want to say anything yet I will hold my reserve until then. It seems a lot of people keeps jumping the gun.

It's the same people that jumped the gun on "always connected". Now since Microsoft themselves debunked that they went on to "trading, lending, borrowing games not allowed". I wonder when Microsoft debunks this too what they'll move on to next?

They're probably going to stick on "no backwards compatibility" but Sony doesn't support backwards compatibility either, they'll stream older games to....but this sounds like u'll have to buy the game all over again. And if u don't have to buy the game....then who's going to front the cost of streaming the games to you? Sounds like backwards compatibility will be behind a pay wall...so you'll have to pay to play your old games?....I wonder who's the one nickel and diming who? Anyways we'll see what happens at E3 when the time comes.

How are these systems going to work for companies that rent games, if its not as easy as put a game in an envelope and post then there's a good chance Xbox One or PS4 games if Sony go that route won't get purchased for rental purposes.

Your 'games are cheap' comment is ignorant, ?40/$60 isn't cheap if you don't know you are going to like the game or not. I can get nearly 4 months of unlimited game rental for the price of one game, game rental places buy hundreds of copies of every game for most platforms, that is money publishers/developers won't get if consoles block used/rental games as I'm not blowing ?40 on a game that I don't have a demo for.

?40 is cheap when SNES games used to cost up to and usually around ?60 in a time when that money was worth a lot more. Games today are dead cheap.

And as for not knowing if your going to like it or not, all games today have demos. Those expensive SNES games, at BEST there was a magazine review to read, at worst, you had to hope it was as good as the cool box art. And those games where a lot shorter and more repetitive than modern games, yet we played each game for months and months as we cold afford to buy a new game once we finished the last one.

The whole focus on games thing is the most ridiculous argument ever tough. So MS chose to let their machine be focused on more than just games, that doesn't mean it's any less game focused than Sony and the PS4. It means MS has a jogger and more teams working on the One, and they have a separate tea working on the non games OS. And lets not forget MS has FAR ore experience with making OS and software than Sony, setting the sowed clearly trough all of last gen. And something they showed clearly again now on the reveal.

A gaming pc isn't any worse at word and web surfing and movie viewing than a regular non gaming pc. The One and the PS4 are both gaming focused devices, just MS chose to let you use the powerful hardware and OS for more than just the gaming.

As for hype, what hype? The PS4 is barely mentioned anymore, and hasn't been since the reveal. It barely picks up the few times Sony has released a little leak or sneak peak but not much. Compare the PS4 and One sections on Polygon.one has lots of news and rumors every day, the other one barely has anything, and the little that is there is cross platform news from the One reveal ... When our hype comes from the competition, your hype train is well and truly broken down.

?40 is cheap when SNES games used to cost up to and usually around ?60 in a time when that money was worth a lot more. Games today are dead cheap.

Yes well done ignore the point of my post.

As for hype, what hype? The PS4 is barely mentioned anymore, and hasn't been since the reveal.

You're full of it. There are threads all over Reddit, videos on YouTube, and various parts of the internet doing breakdowns, comparisons, and so forth between the two consoles. On top of that, news of Sony's stock rising 9% after the X1 reveal, polls all over the place, many with people leaning towards the PS4 (here's one for quick reference), and so on. If you don't like the PS4, that's cool. No one's forcing you to like it, but there's no sense in coming out here and outright lying to everyone.

Furthermore, I highly disagree with the idea that even bad press is better than no press. It's not. If anything, it makes Microsoft look completely unsure of themselves and what they want to do. I mean, if Sony gets flack for announcing that their console will have 8GB of RAM versus the previously known 4GB, you damn well bet people are going to throw a fit at Microsoft when they can't even articulate whatever the hell it is they have planned for the next Xbox, especially when the terms "fees" and "requirements" are thrown around.

It's a real concern though for people like me who occasionally rent or borrow from public library. MS is not helping by not communicating openly.

Right on the money. (Y)

You did.

?40 for something you don't know if you are going to like/finish with absence of a way to try it is a big waste of money and it's certainly not 'cheap', 4 months unlimited game rental versus one game.

Just because some games used to cost more in the past doesn't mean they are cheap.

You did.

?40 for something you don't know if you are going to like/finish with absence of a way to try it is a big waste of money and it's certainly not 'cheap', 4 months unlimited game rental versus one game.

Just because some games used to cost more in the past doesn't mean they are cheap.

No I didn't, you just replied to fast. And the average kid can buy one game a week with his pocket money, so yes, cheap. And demos.

This has reached silly levels it seems, not that i'm surprised though. Knowing their plan ahead of time, even them repeatedly saying it to you as far as this being a multi-staged reveal and some of you are still hung up on things. The last 3 or so years E3 has been hella boring for both MS and Sony and also Nintendo though the new Wii U stuff was something. This time it's looking like it'll be packed with things you all talk about caring the most about, games, and specifically new ones. Would you rather they didn't talk all about games at E3 and talked about half of the things they talked about in the first reveal instead? I don't, i'm happy with the decision to split it up, we don't have to sit and listen to half of their pre-E3 keynote going on about the TV and media stuff, they got that out of the way already. Now we can stick to games and that's what E3 is about to begin with.

I also expect to get more and more minor info and details out as the days pass till E3. Today they showed us a sample of the new box art for games on the X1, tomorrow they could very well give us another tidbit of info. This is part of the plan, they'll have you talking about it well into E3 and after that when BUILD comes.

Wish I got ?40 a week pocket money when I was a kid, not all games get demos.

?40 was a lot more money when you was a kid, which is what I said before. I was lucky if I could buy a single ?40 SNES game a month. and usually the only clue to the quality of the game was the boxart. if the game sucked... well maybe I could afford another game in a month... kids today has disposable cash in abundance, and games ARE cheap.

if there is no demo, then speak with your wallet, DON'T buy the game, if you still buy the game, then you do it because you already know it's good. The only way to fix this is by speaking with your wallet and make sure everyone start delivering demos or free trials. But with next gen this should be less of a problem anyway, at least MS is sure to expand on their "you have to have a trial available" system, especially with all games essentially being Digital Downloads on disks, meaning they will essentially all exists as digital downloads on day one as well most likely, and then they will probably require free trials.

Or I can just do what I've been doing for 20+ years and rent games I want to try?

Except I can't for some arbitrary reason, well it's not arbitrary its pure greed.

I don't have fast enough internet to be downloading gigabytes of demos.

This has reached silly levels it seems, not that i'm surprised though. Knowing their plan ahead of time, even them repeatedly saying it to you as far as this being a multi-staged reveal and some of you are still hung up on things. The last 3 or so years E3 has been hella boring for both MS and Sony and also Nintendo though the new Wii U stuff was something. This time it's looking like it'll be packed with things you all talk about caring the most about, games, and specifically new ones. Would you rather they didn't talk all about games at E3 and talked about half of the things they talked about in the first reveal instead? I don't, i'm happy with the decision to split it up, we don't have to sit and listen to half of their pre-E3 keynote going on about the TV and media stuff, they got that out of the way already. Now we can stick to games and that's what E3 is about to begin with.

I also expect to get more and more minor info and details out as the days pass till E3. Today they showed us a sample of the new box art for games on the X1, tomorrow they could very well give us another tidbit of info. This is part of the plan, they'll have you talking about it well into E3 and after that when BUILD comes.

The way people are going on about how they didn't reveal everything and all the games on the non gaming even a month before a major gaming even, you'd think the One was launching next week.

Or I can just do what I've been doing for 20+ years and rent games I want to try? Except I can't for some arbitrary reason, well it's not arbitrary its pure greed. I don't have fast enough internet to be downloading gigabytes of demos.

There is nothing about greed about it. MS doesn't make any more money of this. And for all this MS might have systems in place for renting games as well, they have said they have and are working on systems for temporary license transfers. if libraries can lend/rent out digital books, then I'm sure MS can make their system allow for OnePlay and others to have a rent system, heck You might be able to rent games from these people and be able to play them before you get the disk or not even have to get the disk if you don't want to. at this point in time we know so little that is as likely a scenario as your doomsday scenario.

Also I don't think you understand what the word arbitrary means. There's a whole smorgasboard of good reasons for a DD On disk systems like MS seems to be going with, and I've already been over those multiple times since that was a mere rumor and you gusy claimed that was so unlikely as to be impossible.

The whole focus on games thing is the most ridiculous argument ever tough. So MS chose to let their machine be focused on more than just games, that doesn't mean it's any less game focused than Sony and the PS4.

Except we've been hearing this argument from the likes of you for the last 3-4 years. "Wait for E3 - Microsoft will be focused on games".

"Lets just ignore Grant Kirkhope and his reasons for leaving Rare that under Microsoft "his music was not needed for the type of experiences they were making anymore". That isn't proof that Microsoft were gutting Rare to focus on Kinect and Avatar casual crap. Just wait and see."

"The drawings of a former Rare employee don't show Microsoft are focusing on forcing Kinect down our throats, don't worry. Wait and see at E3 they will show hardcore games."

"Microsoft closing down most of their first party studios like Ensemble, Fasa & Aces and building "family friendly focused studios" means we will get plenty of non Kinect core games."

"Microsoft dropping the "games" from Microsoft studios shows they are still focused on providing the "games" we want don't worry!"

"Microsoft aren't just pushing out a Halo 12, Forza 16 and Gears of war 22 each year with a different subtitle to make us think its a new game, they will still be bringing plenty of exclusives for the core audience that aren't just "COD exclusive DLC". Honest!"

"Larry Hyrb and the other Microsoft PR reps say they aren't abandoning gamers. We should believe everything they say".

"Don't believe these rumors that the new Xbox will be always online, forced Kinect, block used games, weaker than the PS4. I mean these leaks are from the same place as the PS4 leaks that were spot on but wait for MS to present this as a positive for us gamers."

"Phil Harrison got it wrong when he said the time limit was 24 hours and your friend would have to pay the full fee to borrow your game. Microsoft are 'still working on these details' despite having planned the Xbox One for the last 4 years."

If you honestly expect Microsoft to bring a slew of core titles to E3 then you either haven't been paying attention, havent been playing Xbox for very long or are simply naive.

If you are happy with the annual release of COD, Fifa and one of Halo/Gears/Forza, then good for you but some of us would rather not pay full price for the same game every year.

Microsoft will disappoint at E3 as they have for the last few years, with a focus on fitness/casual/family friendly titles. Core gamers are not their audience anymore and the farcical "reveal" the other day highlighted this. I find it comical that some of you still have faith in what they will deliver.

I would rather have nothing to do with an entertainment system that is so anti-consumer it has Microsoft stumbling over themselves to contain the bad PR.

20130514-XBOX-ONE-TEARDOWN-014-660x440.jpg

Just looking at this wired image and noticed that there wasn't a PSU. Has there been any mention about a power brick? I can't remember.

If you honestly expect Microsoft to bring a slew of core titles to E3 then you either haven't been paying attention, havent been playing Xbox for very long or are simply naive.

We already know they are so the rest of your post is mere FUD. the One will have as many core games as the PS4.

20130514-XBOX-ONE-TEARDOWN-014-660x440.jpg

Just looking at this wired image and noticed that there wasn't a PSU. Has there been any mention about a power brick? I can't remember.

What's under the hdd? It looks to be sitting on something bigger.

We already know they are so the rest of your post is mere FUD. the One will have as many core games as the PS4.

Yep I expected you to ignore everything. Its your specialty. Stick your fingers in your ears going nah nah nah nah. Pathetic.

And no we dont know they are bringing core titles to E3. They haven't said anything of the sort. We already know one of their exclusives will be a fitness game and like I said we don't know how many others will be family friendly/casual kinect focused titles. Given their track record I expect a lot of them will be, but you didn't read any of my "FUD" so what would you know?

There is nothing about greed about it. MS doesn't make any more money of this. And for all this MS might have systems in place for renting games as well, they have said they have and are working on systems for temporary license transfers. if libraries can lend/rent out digital books, then I'm sure MS can make their system allow for OnePlay and others to have a rent system, heck You might be able to rent games from these people and be able to play them before you get the disk or not even have to get the disk if you don't want to. at this point in time we know so little that is as likely a scenario as your doomsday scenario.

Also I don't think you understand what the word arbitrary means. There's a whole smorgasboard of good reasons for a DD On disk systems like MS seems to be going with, and I've already been over those multiple times since that was a mere rumor and you gusy claimed that was so unlikely as to be impossible.

It is pure greed, they are being forced to by publishers, if you buy a used game you will have to pay a fee of up to RRP on Microsoft store which means Microsoft and Publishers get a cut of the money.

ar?bi?trar?y

/??rbi?trer?/

Adjective

• Based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.
  • (of power or a ruling body) Unrestrained and autocratic in the use of authority.

Adding used game fees is an arbitrary decision.

It is pure greed, they are being forced to by publishers, if you buy a used game you will have to pay a fee of up to RRP on Microsoft store which means Microsoft and Publishers get a cut of the money.

ar?bi?trar?y

/??rbi?trer?/

Adjective

• Based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.
  • (of power or a ruling body) Unrestrained and autocratic in the use of authority.

Adding used game fees is an arbitrary decision.

Reasons for DD Disks, since you seem to have long term memory issues, that make it anything but arbitrary:

- All games are Digital downloads and are available as DD on day of release, disk is just another way to "download"'

- No need to ever worry about your disk "breaking"/getting damaged/scratched, heck it might not even have copy protection so you can make backups as you see fit.

- Convenience of being bale to load up your game at any time without putting in the disk.

- Convenience of being able to play all my games on any of my Xboxes without dragging disks around

- If a friend wants to buy the game to play with you, he can buy the DD version and have it instantly installed from the disk, heck with the play as you install, he can start playing in seconds.

Just of the top of the pile. So no, it's not arbitrary. heck even if it was because of your baseless and frankly ridiculous reason, it wouldn't be arbitrary, as pointed out by your own dictionary quote. So I still don't think you know what it means.

and actually they haven't said you can't buy used games. they have said you can buy a new license. they have also said they are working on systems to transfer the license, maybe this will have a fee, maybe it won't, I weep sarcastically for gamestop...

Yep I expected you to ignore everything. Its your specialty. Stick your fingers in your ears going nah nah nah nah. Pathetic.

And no we dont know they are bringing core titles to E3. They haven't said anything of the sort. We already know one of their exclusives will be a fitness game and like I said we don't know how many others will be family friendly/casual kinect focused titles. Given their track record I expect a lot of them will be, but you didn't read any of my "FUD" so what would you know?

Maybe if you could come up with some actual real argument. MS has already given us a peak of several core games, we know a whole ******** of others that are coming. and MS has a big exclusive deal with EA going. So while the One will have some casual games, it will also have as many core games as the PS4. believing anything other than that is somewhat ignorant. so far MS has presented us with more next gen exclusives in the core category than Sony has, so by that evidence... I mean I could make some random conclusions from that, but I don't pull arbitrary conclusions like that out of thin air or any other place.

Except we've been hearing this argument from the likes of you for the last 3-4 years. "Wait for E3 - Microsoft will be focused on games".

If you are happy with the annual release of COD, Fifa and one of Halo/Gears/Forza, then good for you but some of us would rather not pay full price for the same game every year.

Microsoft will disappoint at E3 as they have for the last few years, with a focus on fitness/casual/family friendly titles. Core gamers are not their audience anymore and the farcical "reveal" the other day highlighted this. I find it comical that some of you still have faith in what they will deliver.

I would rather have nothing to do with an entertainment system that is so anti-consumer it has Microsoft stumbling over themselves to contain the bad PR.

If MS opens their E3 with a 5 year old playing Kinectimals or some hipster demoing Dance Central, they are doomed. They better bring big guns to the battle.

They mentioned 15 exclusives in first year which is approximately Nov'13-Nov'14 so help me with the list here,

Sequels:

Forza 5

Halo 5?

PGR 5 / Forza Horizon 2?

Kinectimals

Kinect Sports

Dance Central

New:

Quantum Break

Ryse

Titan something

Sony showed us Killzone, DriveClub, Knack, infamous, and Diablo 3.

MS showed Forza, that new Remedy game and Ryse (well it wasn't shown at the conference tbh).

Every other game is multiplatform. How is that more?

Sony showed us Killzone, DriveClub, Knack, infamous, and Diablo 3.

MS showed Forza, that new Remedy game and Ryse (well it wasn't shown at the conference tbh).

Every other game is multiplatform. How is that more?

15 exclusives, I don't know if Sony put a number on their first year line up.

If MS opens their E3 with a 5 year old playing Kinectimals or some hipster demoing Dance Central, they are doomed. They better bring big guns to the battle.

They mentioned 15 exclusives in first year which is approximately Nov'13-Nov'14 so help me with the list here,

Sequels:

Forza 5

Halo 5?

PGR 5 / Forza Horizon 2?

Kinectimals

Kinect Sports

Dance Central

New:

Quantum Break

Ryse

Titan something

Whatever Black Tusk are working on. Rare Historic ip, Xbox Fitness, Crackdown 3.

If you think about it 15 is not really a lot. Sony have announced 19 exclusives pre E3.