The Xbox Is Not Always Online, But Seems To Block Used Games

The next Xbox won't require an Internet connection to function, but could very well block used games.

Wired got a look at Xbox One before today's big reveal, and they say that games will require installation to use. ?On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play,? Microsoft told them.

But games will be tied to an Xbox Live account, Wired concludes?or else you'd just be able to pass games around to everyone you know:

What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner.

Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc.

But what if a second person simply wanted to put the disc in and play the game without installing ? and without paying extra? In other words, what happens to our traditional concept of a ?used game?? This is a question for which Microsoft did not yet have an answer, and is surely something that game buyers (as well as renters and lenders) will want to know.

Wired also asked what we've all been wondering: will the console be online-only? The answer: it depends.

And what of the persistent rumors that Xbox One games will be ?always online? ? that is, that single-player games would require a constant online connection to function? As it turns out, those rumors were not unfounded, but the reality is not so draconian. Xbox One will give game developers the ability to create games that use Microsoft?s Azure cloud computing service, which means that they might be able to offload certain computing tasks to the cloud rather than process them on the Xbox One hardware itself. This would necessitate the game requiring a connection.

Are developers forced to create games that have these online features, and are thus not playable offline? They are not, Xbox exec Whitten said to Wired ? but ?I hope they do.? So the always-online future may come in incremental steps.

So it's up to the developer. Some games may require an Internet connection; some may not. The future of always-online remains hazy.

Source: http://kotaku.com/th...-used-509077987

Wouldn't it just be once the game is installed on the second account, it no longer works on the first account?

Reaching. It's up to the developers, how is this anything new?

This doesn't sound like anything that goes on on the 360

But games will be tied to an Xbox Live account, Wired concludes?or else you'd just be able to pass games around to everyone you know:

What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner.

Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc.

But what if a second person simply wanted to put the disc in and play the game without installing ? and without paying extra? In other words, what happens to our traditional concept of a ?used game?? This is a question for which Microsoft did not yet have an answer, and is surely something that game buyers (as well as renters and lenders) will want to know.

Paying a fee? .........

I remember back when my buddy and I had a ps2. He and I would trade games all the time. We would both rent and buy lots, but we would buy what the other didn't, so that we could trade.

Isn't this like now? You can install to the hard drive but still need the physical media in the drive to play. The only difference is that installation is a requirement.

So no online passes, now you have to buy a pass to even play single player?

Guess we know why EA dropped online passes and was sucking on MS' you know what, - Next Xbox is one big "online pass".

Seriously, if Sony do not do this, WTF MS? Yeah sure the retail market can still sell used games, but everyone one you buy you're going to have to pay to play....

If you are a parent gamer, your children cannot play your games without paying? Just think about that.

This doesn't sound like anything that goes on on the 360

I know that online play (And games that use online features) aren't available currently for me when I'm not online... So I'm not sure what has changed... Developers have more options that use Online connectivity, but online features normally wouldn't be available to you offline anyway...

I know that online play (And games that use online features) aren't available currently for me when I'm not online... So I'm not sure what has changed... Developers have more options that use Online connectivity, but online features normally wouldn't be available to you offline anyway...

The point is installations are mandatory now and games are tied to your account, which means you can't play used or rented games without paying a fee for a pass.

I can see them charging you for time based passes as well, so you can unlock a game for 48 hours. Microsoft can suck it.

Some games do this now. Battlefield 3 comes to mind....

With an online pass, yes, the MP is locked out.

This article is literally stating you have to pay to even play a copy of a game that someone else has already inserted into the Xbox One and registered with MS. You can happily put a second hand copy of BF3 into your 360 or PS3 and play SP.

And it's also clear MS want online required

And what of the persistent rumors that Xbox One games will be ?always online? ? that is, that single-player games would require a constant online connection to function? As it turns out, those rumors were not unfounded, but the reality is not so draconian. Xbox One will give game developers the ability to create games that use Microsoft?s Azure cloud computing service, which means that they might be able to offload certain computing tasks to the cloud rather than process them on the Xbox One hardware itself. This would necessitate the game requiring a connection.

Are developers forced to create games that have these online features, and are thus not playable offline? They are not, Xbox exec Whitten said to Wired ? but ?I hope they do.? So the always-online future may come in incremental steps.

Uh wow. so much FUD, I am not surprised though.

Dude you just owned yourself in two topics :rofl:

Read replies in the other.

Isn't this like now? You can install to the hard drive but still need the physical media in the drive to play. The only difference is that installation is a requirement.

Right now I can sell you my game and you can use it. With the new system you can't use the game I'm trying to sell you (it's tied to my Xbox)

Right now I can sell you my game and you can use it. With the new system you can't use the game I'm trying to sell you (it's tied to my Xbox)

You can but you need to pay MS.

Looks like it's confirmed

Xbox UK Marketing Director says yes, Xbox One WILL support trading and resale of games. But with "policies".

https://twitter.com/...911669575946240

Shameful decision, seriously hope Sony do not follow.

Dude you just owned yourself in two topics :rofl:

Read replies in the other.

Nope. This is usual trolling. Wired clearly says that Microsoft has not said if they will block used games.

Nope. This is usual trolling. Wired clearly says that Microsoft has not said if they will block used games.

The block = a paywall. If you don't pay, you don't play.

Not hard to understand.

The block = a paywall. If you don't pay, you don't play.

Not hard to understand.

Neither Microsoft nor Wired has said any such thing. Why don't you actually quote text here?

Neither Microsoft nor Wired has said any such thing. Why don't you actually quote text here?

There?s one feature of Xbox One from which we can infer quite a few conclusions: You can install any game from the disc to the console?s hard drive, and then play that game whenever you like without having to put the disc in.

Wired asked Microsoft if installation would be mandatory. ?On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play,? the company responded in an emailed statement. Sounds mandatory to us.

and right above

Xbox UK Marketing Director says yes, Xbox One WILL support trading and resale of games. But with "policies".

Not true. What they described is games on demand from a retail disk. Wired clearly mentions that Microsoft has not said if they will block used disks.

Not true. What they described is games on demand from a retail disk. Wired clearly mentions that Microsoft has not said if they will block used disks.

Seriously....

?On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play,?