The Xbox Is Not Always Online, But Seems To Block Used Games

and right above

do you even read what you post?

new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc.

Seriously....

yes, seriously - start reading.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/21/4352542/xbox-one-always-online-not-required-used-games-work

Xbox One doesn't need always-on internet connection, will allow used games

Microsoft says it's "designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games," and promises to offer more details in future.

Yeah because playing used games needs "enabling", "policies" and "more details in the future".

You do not need ANYTHING to play used games, they just... play.

do you even read what you post?

new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc.

yes, seriously - start reading.

http://www.theverge....used-games-work

Xbox One doesn't need always-on internet connection, will allow used games

I think it's you, the hardcore xbox fanboy who can't read..

Yeah because playing used games needs "enabling" and "more details in the future".

You do not need ANYTHING to play used games, they just... play.

well...we will see.

I think it's you, the hardcore xbox fanboy who can't read..

Please enlighten me...

Also to actually start playing a game, you need to be online for the game to install. That in itself is DRM. How is the game going to activate when your console is offline?

If I have to pay to unlock a used game on Xbox One, it's a showstopper for me personally.

Note - If Sony goes this route, they get same no buy treatment. (No console purchase that is).

I can only vote with my money.

so if you buy a game, and go to a friends house and want to bring it along to play, you can't?

wow, that sucks

Take your profile with you, or download it at his house. But yeah, this all suck balls.

so if you buy a game, and go to a friends house and want to bring it along to play, you can't?

wow, that sucks

only Microsoft knows for sure (and sony apparently).

Engadget has this to say: "We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games."

At this point I am not sure what to believe since it is not yet 100% clear. Guess I'll just till E3 / end of this year.

wow, that sucks

im certain you can log into your xbox live account(doesn't have to be gold) and you can play the game.

and im certain that the fee you have to pay for used games is to force shops like gamestop to give up some of the profits on used games. it will make them lower the price of used games to help shift some of the profits to publishers.

this is wired and others like kotaku trying to save face from pushing the 'always online' bs rumors so hard.

this is wired and others like kotaku trying to save face from pushing the 'always online' bs rumors so hard.

MS were TALKING to Wired? How is this ANYTHING to do with saving face?

You're also going to have to be online to be able to start playing a new game, which is in itself a form of DRM. Right now you can put a disc into your console even with the ethernet out and play from the get go.

You're also going to have to be online to be able to start playing a new game, which is in itself a form of DRM. Right now you can put a disc into your console even with the ethernet out and play from the get go.

and so far that seems to be the case with Xbox1.

Guess we know why EA dropped online passes and was sucking on MS' you know what, - Next Xbox is one big "online pass".

Seriously, if Sony do not do this, WTF MS? Yeah sure the retail market can still sell used games, but everyone one you buy you're going to have to pay to play....

If you are a parent gamer, your children cannot play your games without paying? Just think about that.

So basically I was right. Game discs are just a distribution method for digital copies, and I can play all my Xbox games on all my xbox ds without bringing the discs and log in to a friends box and play it.

Not seeing a negative here.

wired is coming to baseless conclusions

so? you don't know anything about how this works. if you don't have an internet connection(if youre buying a $500 device,im pretty sure you have an internet connection)for all you know,there could be an activation period where it will stop working if you don't activate it within a certain amount of time. and what if you can activate the game from a pc,and transfer this licenses through USB. This would affect absolutely no one.

Smells fuddy and everyone seems to be assuming it's gospel. Will wait and see till a statement from MS on how this works before passing judgement.

• Like 2

"Reports are claiming that Xbox One will require all games to be installed on the console's HDD before they can be played.

According to Wired, if owners want to use the disc with a second account they'll be asked to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, suggesting that once games are installed you won't need to insert the disc to play.

It's unclear what this means for the secondhand market, though Microsoft announced onan FAQ page (since removed) that the Xbox One is designed "to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We'll have more details to share later." It didn't reference the fees confirmed by Microsoft to Wired.

We're not entirely sure what this means but have reached out to Microsoft for clarification and will update the story as soon as we hear back."

From IGN

We really will have to wait for E3

I could be upset but they did mention there was going to be 2 presentations about this machine.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-a-fee-to-play

Update 2: Our man on the ground Tom Bramwell was able to speak to corporate vice president of Microsoft Phil Harrison about this hot-button issue and was able to confirm that a second user can install a game from a friend's disc for a fee, though it's unclear how much this will be. Harrison also confirmed that several users sharing a console can access the same game at no additional charge, and Microsoft has "a solution" for the resale market, though it's staying mum on those for now.

Wait so now the XBOX is a PC?

they say that games will require installation to use. ?On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play,? Microsoft told them.

But games will be tied to an Xbox Live account, Wired concludes?or else you'd just be able to pass games around to everyone you know

This could be interesting. Each disk would need some sort of "MAC address" once installed it would then reg with MS and thats it. You should be allowed to DeReg the disk and pass it onto your mate!

Wait so now the XBOX is a PC?

This could be interesting. Each disk would need some sort of "MAC address" once installed it would then reg with MS and thats it. You should be allowed to DeReg the disk and pass it onto your mate!

According to this interview each game will come with a single-use code.

You don't get a code, you pay full price. :/

According to this interview each game will come with a single-use code.

You don't get a code, you pay full price. :/

Interesting, so this code that is on your machine, what if i get a new xbox or the HD dies. I would think the code would be tied into your xboxlive account.

Other users on the console will be able to play that game as well, Harrison said. So you don't need to buy multiple games per family. "With the built-in parental controls of the system it is shared amog the users of the device," he said.

with different xbox live account. my sister has three kids, and she is not going to pay for three copys! While i understand that online code for games like BF4 and COD, if its a single player game then NO.

Interesting, so this code that is on your machine, what if i get a new xbox or the HD dies. I would think the code would be tied into your xboxlive account.

with different xbox live account. my sister has three kids, and she is not going to pay for three copys!

It's sounding like it's tied to LIVE accounts on the same console, but to transfer it over to another console with your account may require it to be de-activated from the original console permanently or something. They haven't confirmed either way.