xbox one

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:54

Not very innovative in design is it... they could have least tried to make it look cool so the kids would buy it, at least if I was the Marketing VP, I would have had standards. Dayum..

Posted Image

And what has flashy design gotten either Microsoft OR Sony, let alone Nintendo?

If anything, flashy design has come back and bitten Microsoft in the butt twice - with the original Xbox and again with the XB360 (various hardware issues with both consoles, exacerbated by the console's design). How has the second consecurive radical design from Sony (the PS2 and PS3 look not a bit alike) helped Sony? The PS3 basically commits the same sin as every console (from everyone) since the ATARI 5200/7800 - they stand out way too much. No gaming console, and especially one used for more than gaming, should call unwanted attention to itself. And that VCR model you have the piicture of uses a tried-and-true design from even prior to the original Sony Beta VCRs (which were also top-loading) - it is based on the original VCRs used in industrial/commercial/professional (such as schools, TV editing rooms, etc.) areas - the U-Matic format. Yes; they certainly didn't look flashy - however, they weren't meant to. They were meant to hold up. And hold up they have. The only reason they retired them was due to unavailability of media - not wear or tear (or even abuse).

#32 Krighton_

Krighton_

Neowinian

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:42

And what has flashy design gotten either Microsoft OR Sony, let alone Nintendo?

If anything, flashy design has come back and bitten Microsoft in the butt twice - with the original Xbox and again with the XB360 (various hardware issues with both consoles, exacerbated by the console's design). How has the second consecurive radical design from Sony (the PS2 and PS3 look not a bit alike) helped Sony? The PS3 basically commits the same sin as every console (from everyone) since the ATARI 5200/7800 - they stand out way too much. No gaming console, and especially one used for more than gaming, should call unwanted attention to itself. And that VCR model you have the piicture of uses a tried-and-true design from even prior to the original Sony Beta VCRs (which were also top-loading) - it is based on the original VCRs used in industrial/commercial/professional (such as schools, TV editing rooms, etc.) areas - the U-Matic format. Yes; they certainly didn't look flashy - however, they weren't meant to. They were meant to hold up. And hold up they have. The only reason they retired them was due to unavailability of media - not wear or tear (or even abuse).

I understand your point, you're right etc..I know you internet types want to feel superior and justified, but I'm not wrong either. The XBOX ONE is ugly, lazy design. You say it's supposed to be "out of the way?" I don't think that is what Microsoft wants or will ever want. Regardless, they could have come up something far more visually appealing than a rectangle (Apple lawsuit incoming, they invented the rectangle FYI) that looks like a VCR from 1983.

It was simply a poor design choice. Thankfully I live in America, where I'm entitled to my opinion. Which aren't right or wrong.

People order food and eat with their eyes. Most of us anyway and not all the time. If it looks good, I'm going to walk toward it, pick it up, look at it, eat it, etc. I think Microsoft is banking on the brand name exceeding the visual appeal here.

Sony Playstation now has a huge advantage because their console will at least look like it belongs in 2013. Nail the design, less a few meaningless features that XBOX One has, that no one will care about and you're keeping pace with the competition.

#33 .Markus

.Markus

supertramp

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:26

I'm actually really happy Microsoft has taken this approach. It's nice to have a device that blends in well with the rest of the devices in the living room. I prefer to keep things minimalistic without too many lights and bling-bling...

#34 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:51

I understand your point, you're right etc..I know you internet types want to feel superior and justified, but I'm not wrong either. The XBOX ONE is ugly, lazy design. You say it's supposed to be "out of the way?" I don't think that is what Microsoft wants or will ever want. Regardless, they could have come up something far more visually appealing than a rectangle (Apple lawsuit incoming, they invented the rectangle FYI) that looks like a VCR from 1983.

It was simply a poor design choice. Thankfully I live in America, where I'm entitled to my opinion. Which aren't right or wrong.

People order food and eat with their eyes. Most of us anyway and not all the time. If it looks good, I'm going to walk toward it, pick it up, look at it, eat it, etc. I think Microsoft is banking on the brand name exceeding the visual appeal here.

Sony Playstation now has a huge advantage because their console will at least look like it belongs in 2013. Nail the design, less a few meaningless features that XBOX One has, that no one will care about and you're keeping pace with the competition.

And in case you haven't noticed, the PS3 stands out (and sticks out) amidst the rest of Sony's A/V hardware. Notice I didn't say anything about other companies, but about Sony's own hardware. It calls attention to itself. That was very much one reason I passed on both sorts of PS3 (though I certainly DID approve of the integrated BD drive). I have nothing against Sony as a company (not with two Sony TVs in the house - one of which is in my own bedroom); however, I prefer minimalist design for A/V components (which is something Sony has done - the PS2, oddly enough, is a near-classic minimalist design when laid flat). And we have no idea what the PS4 will look like - it could well have gone minimalist (as I just pointed out, it's something Sony has done before). Nobody mocks Apple's own minimalist designs (such as the Mac Pro) - why should a gaming console be a fashion statement?

#35 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:58

Apple is merely one of the companies that has been known for minimalist design - I also pointed to Tivo. Another somewhat surprising minimalist design is Sony's own PS2 (laid flat) - in fact, if you detach the stand and lay it flat, it could easily disappear in an A/V setup. You have fallen into the *console as fashion statement* - which is indeed quite popular in Asia (and especially Japan - Sony offered color options for both the PS2 and PS3 that never saw the light of day in North America). I'd rather have solid hardware, thank you very much - especially considering what either console will cost. (The price certainly won't be any leess than the SRP of the PS3 - which was $399USD at launch.)

#36 lunamonkey

lunamonkey

Ten years on Neowin.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:16

My HTPC (with blu-ray) looks a little like this below. I got it so that people will mistake it for a receiver / hifi and ignore it. As soon as I put my Xbox 360 in the living room, it stands out like a crusty white dog poo and ruins the whole sleek effect.

I will probably get the Xbox One soley to replace my HTPC and then move the HTPC upstairs as a spare file server. Posted Image

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!