Photo

What's your opinion on the new Xbox One controller?

xbox one controller microsoft

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Poll: What's your opinion on the new Xbox One controller?

What's your opinion on the new Xbox One controller?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 22 May 2013 - 16:11

As they said at the conference, the controller has been designed for gamers by gamers. Shame nothing else was.

Err... what?
What exactly were you expecting?

#32 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 May 2013 - 16:24

I liked the look of the controller. I was glad to see they chose to improve upon what was already a good design... I look forward to holding it in my hands though to see for sure.

Honestly, the controller was the best part of the reveal. Everything else was kind of a letdown...

#33 McKay

McKay

Worth the weight

• Phone: Nexus 6

Posted 22 May 2013 - 16:36

I love the existing 360 controller and this looks like an improved version, better thumbsticks, a wayyy better Dpad, and no annoying battery pack to get in the way on the back.

#34 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 22 May 2013 - 17:04

Hate it. The dual matte/gloos color scheme, clear plastic buttons that no longer have color, and the lame all-white logo make the controller look like a terrible Razor/MadCatz abortion. Similar to the console itself.

If the Xbox logo is still a button, it's now in a terrible place that puts it out of reach of your thumbs. Now you will have to shift your hand in order to press it, which is dumb. Even if it isn't a button, it would still look better in the center of the controller, similar to the existing 360 controller.

There were some good changes, like the d-pad, and new trigger force-feedback stuff. (and the fact that it MAY still use AA batteries, but that hasn't been confirmed) But overall, it's a worse looking design than the 360's controller.

How it feels in the hand is important too, but unless the thing gives me an orgasm every time I pick it up I don't foresee myself ever getting over how terrible it looks.

#35 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 22 May 2013 - 17:13

Hate it. The dual matte/gloos color scheme, clear plastic buttons that no longer have color, and the lame all-white logo make the controller look like a terrible Razor/MadCatz abortion. Similar to the console itself.

If the Xbox logo is still a button, it's now in a terrible place that puts it out of reach of your thumbs. Now you will have to shift your hand in order to press it, which is dumb. Even if it isn't a button, it would still look better in the center of the controller, similar to the existing 360 controller.

There were some good changes, like the d-pad, and new trigger force-feedback stuff. (and the fact that it MAY still use AA batteries, but that hasn't been confirmed) But overall, it's a worse looking design than the 360's controller.

How it feels in the hand is important too, but unless the thing gives me an orgasm every time I pick it up I don't foresee myself ever getting over how terrible it looks.

That could be quite impractical prior to sitting down with your chip n dip and mountain dew to play call of duty :(

#36 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 22 May 2013 - 17:25

That's a pretty strong reaction, especially given how similar it is to the X360 controller. You seem far too emotionally invested to be objective.

#37 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 22 May 2013 - 17:40

Looks great to me, small improvements on an already brilliant controller.
The movement of the Jewel button up out of the way is excellent news and the fixed D-pad can only be good news.

Only thing i think looks a bit s*** is those buttons, the coloured letter on the colourless button looks a bit tacky and cheap.

#38 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 22 May 2013 - 17:59

That's a pretty strong reaction, especially given how similar it is to the X360 controller. You seem far too emotionally invested to be objective.

I think you need to look up what "objective" and "emotional" mean, again.

#39 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 22 May 2013 - 18:51

I think they still have the same overall profile but are thicker to accommodate the additional motors inside them (as much as I can see in those pics).

I was not referring to the triggers themselves, but the top shape.
Made some sketches on the picture...

One-Controllers.jpg

So I just think ones fingers seem to rest more comfortably on the old controller (on the left), due to that slight curve. It is almost like your fingers get to 'relax" even more if that makes sense.
Who knows, it may not make zero difference, I just know I really like the current controller how it feels on the fingers, and I think it has to do with that curved area.

#40 Orange

Orange

Oh Yes!

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 22 May 2013 - 20:54

I never had a problem with the xbox 360 controller in first place. I wouldn't want them to change it so much that it doesn't feel right. new one just looks updated slightly but still keeping it original to xbox 360 :D

#41 bgjerlow

bgjerlow

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung ATIV S

Posted 23 May 2013 - 19:45

Loving the look of it. Can't wait to try it out.

#42 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 23 May 2013 - 20:53

I was not referring to the triggers themselves, but the top shape.
Made some sketches on the picture...

One-Controllers.jpg

So I just think ones fingers seem to rest more comfortably on the old controller (on the left), due to that slight curve. It is almost like your fingers get to 'relax" even more if that makes sense.
Who knows, it may not make zero difference, I just know I really like the current controller how it feels on the fingers, and I think it has to do with that curved area.

Aah ok. Yeah, can't say much without trying it out. Ars mentions that they've rotated battery pack by 90 deg (as seen in those photos) and that makes the controller feel lighter. I guess my biggest concern about it was addressed by Major Nelson - still uses AA batteries. :yes: