Photo
xbox xbox one games

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#91 ctrl_alt_delete

ctrl_alt_delete

Neowinian

Posted 24 May 2013 - 17:10

I'm sorry, but are people not allowed to discuss information that is being presented to us? We're all just supposed to sit around and not discuss information that is being presented to us?

sure no problem discus away, but while discussing just don't present your things that you don't know as facts. I'm sure we all know how to use words like "if" and "maybe" and "possibly" just to name a few. can we agree on that?

well it's quite funny to me, but out of the 3 consoles it seems only the xbox threads are getting all the attention

#92 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 May 2013 - 14:00

The Xbox One will not require gamers to pay a fee to reactivate a used game, but it will require a regular online spot check to verify the authenticity of games being played, according to sources familiar with the system.

While an internet connection will be required for the console, the company is also experimenting with special exemption codes that could be given to select people in very particular, internet-free situations, like active-duty soldiers serving in war zones, sources tell Polygon.

The Xbox One will automatically authenticate a game using an encryption code built into a game's disc, when it is installed on the machine. That authentication on the console's hard drive tied to the game is then verified regularly through an internet connection.

When a person sells the game or it is installed and played on another system, the game is deauthenticated on the original machine until the disc is brought back and used to re-authenticate the installation.

http://www.polygon.c...ecks-used-games

I am fine with this if it works in this way, if someone trades it in or sells it at a shop then the retailer gets charged for it, if you sell it privately it will deauth your copy and no fees are being paid, I assume it will work this way with rental, you hire the game and the last person who hired it copy will deauth and he can pay a fee for a new license and the person who hired it will be fully authorised to play it.

#93 Davo

Davo

Neowinian

Posted 25 May 2013 - 14:35

I'm fine with "always online" if it will allow me to install games to the hard drive and play them discless. In the event that the power/internet goes down, I can just go back to using the physical disc.

I'm just confused as to why Microsoft wants a piece of the used game pie. I imagine that's more of a publisher demand for all the exclusives they're hyping.

#94 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 25 May 2013 - 14:46

I'm fine with "always online" if it will allow me to install games to the hard drive and play them discless. In the event that the power/internet goes down, I can just go back to using the physical disc.

I'm just confused as to why Microsoft wants a piece of the used game pie. I imagine that's more of a publisher demand for all the exclusives they're hyping.

They say the fee is being collected from MS and publishers, now you might ask my should MS get a cut? I think the fee, if it's something minor, $1 or w/e that the retailer has to pay back can be justified as the cost to access a custom Xbox authentication system where the retailer enters in the discs code to make it usable again by the next guy to buy it used. If we're indeed talking about some small amount that a retailer pays back then I'm fine with it because of the overall nature of the system in place. We're talking about full installs to a HDD where you don't need the disc, something has to be in place to keep that secure. This new system has an added cost behind it, look at the large jump in Xbox Live servers, from 15,000 up to 300,000! If the fees collected on used games go back to cover the cost of the backend and not users getting yet another increase to the cost of a Gold membership then I'd say fine.

http://www.polygon.c...ecks-used-games

I am fine with this if it works in this way, if someone trades it in or sells it at a shop then the retailer gets charged for it, if you sell it privately it will deauth your copy and no fees are being paid, I assume it will work this way with rental, you hire the game and the last person who hired it copy will deauth and he can pay a fee for a new license and the person who hired it will be fully authorised to play it.

I have to believe it will be like this, MS already does use a type of system like this with Office 365 Home, you get to use it on any 5 PC or Macs you want, all you do is authenticate which system you want and you can then at anytime easily change any of them to be any other ones as long as it's 5 max at any time.

If it really turns out to work like I think then even lending games shouldn't be a problem, till you get the game disc back to re-activate your installed copy from your friend then you just can't play it, same as today because we need the game disc anyways.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!